British Speedway Forum
stratton

Jim Airey How Good Was He?

I saw him a few times in league matches and big events and would agree absolutely with Wessex Wanderer's view. It's exactly what I would have said.

Anyone know why he packed it in so early?

I've often wondered...................................................

It was always Jim's ambition to become World Champion. After riding in the Final, he said he knew he was never going to be good enough to do so, and there was no real point in continuing in the sport.

Steve

It was always Jim's ambition to become World Champion. After riding in the Final, he said he knew he was never going to be good enough to do so, and there was no real point in continuing in the sport.

Steve

Oh!

Thank you Steve. :t:

Ian.

i think for business reasons WK ? he did i believe ride in a Daily Mirror series in 1973? for the Aussies style wise not a typical Aussie but a world class rider.He averaged 10.86 and 10.74 in 1970 and 71. ( 27 full maximums in two years pretty impressive.

How good was he at Owlerton Third Man? his away average was pretty impressive as well.

excellant at home as well as away, great to be able to go away and know a rider would be able to compete with the away teams best riders

hi averages in 70 and 71 were amazing considering the amount of matches rode, was it 36 league meetings then?, and with the standard of riders in the league at that time

thought the reason given at the time for not coming back was something to do with a business in Australia

Edited by The Third Man

excellant at home as well as away, great to be able to go away and know a rider would be able to compete with the away teams best riders

hi averages in 70 and 71 were amazing considering the amount of matches rode, was it 36 league meetings then?, and with the standard of riders in the league at that time

thought the reason given at the time for not coming back was something to do with a business in Australia

i thought business,he was offered good money a few times but relented and never changed his mind.You are right the league was tough also a huge variations of tracks then very tough competition.

Jim Airey, I saw him when he rode for Wolves against Glasgow maybe 1967, very good rider, tall if I remember correct and he was someone who had raced on tarmac. I see to remember a photo of him in the Speedway Star on a 250 or 500 cc road racer.

Wolves were the first team I saw that had their riders customise their leathers .... a simple stripe of orange leather down the legs and arms of their leathers ... jet set stuff!!

He was certainly a great rider. I used to enjoy him riding in Sheffield's visits to Hyde Road.

2 hours ago, Garry1603 said:

He was certainly a great rider. I used to enjoy him riding in Sheffield's visits to Hyde Road.

Me too.  From memory he was particularly adept at hugging the white line.

12 minutes ago, lastword said:

Me too.  From memory he was particularly adept at hugging the white line.

Didn't he also wear black leathers? - quite 'old school'