British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Dave the Mic

Flying Shale/roo Games

I found an old copy of FS in a drawer when I moved recently, but it doesn't seem to work on my laptop. Does anyone know if there are compatibility issues with newer versions of Windows, or if the makers of the game are still around?

I have tried contacting them, but the e-mails just seem to bounce back.

Thanks

I found an old copy of FS in a drawer when I moved recently, but it doesn't seem to work on my laptop. Does anyone know if there are compatibility issues with newer versions of Windows, or if the makers of the game are still around?

I have tried contacting them, but the e-mails just seem to bounce back.

Thanks

Works fine on my laptop with windows 7.

I contacted them in feb when I chsnged laptops and got a very quick response.

Roogames@googlemail.com

Simulation game. Very basic graphics but has comprehensive database from 65-late 90s.

Really good game if u like that kind if thing.

Simulation game. Very basic graphics but has comprehensive database from 65-late 90s.

Really good game if u like that kind if thing.

Plus an editor so you can easily update for modern riders/seasons etc.

Based upon the board game Speedway Scene II

Plus an editor so you can easily update for modern riders/seasons etc.

Based upon the board game Speedway Scene II

Good point.

One flaw is that you cant create new heat formats (e.g. for el 2014) though they do have all used from 65-02ish.

Also the ai has an issue with nominatrd heats, unless there is a bug fix I dont have.

Still an excellent game.

You can create new heat formats. Once you've downloaded the game go to the Flying Shale folder on 'My Computer' and open the Data folder and there is a

'Notepad' folder called formats, in which you can create new formats.

• Like 1

Thanks Chadster,

I have had this game for a number of years, and was not aware that you could do this. I have tried to recreate the current Elite League format, but have a couple of questions. using the BL 88-90 format as an example, what does the first line of numbers represent? The second line is the riders, the third line is the gates, but also what does the fourth line represent?

Hope someone can help,

Cheers.

15 Heat Format (BL88-90)
01020102060706070504050403060307050401020102030603060504020702070504030601020504030701020104030503050104060706070S0S0S0S
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAB

Shazle,

I'm not entirely sure what all the top line means but if you compare with some of the other formats it gives you an idea. In the case of the format you quote '0207' relates to number of riders in the team. If you look at the format for BEL 98 it's 0206, which was one of the years when they ran with 6 man teams. Then '0002' is minimum number of rides and '07' maximum number of rides. '0513' are the heats within which tac subs could be used. I'm not sure about the last 8 figures but they seem common to all most formats. The long line of letters means that all but the last heat have a defined format, the B seems to indicate a nominated heat. 'E' is sometimes used for a heat reserved for top scorers.

The best advice is to play around with it, play a few games and see if it works as you think it should.

Hope this helps

Thanks again Chadster,

That all seems to fit and make sense. Now to enter all the teams data, play the 2014 season, run the grand final, and stick all my money on the winner at BET365. For some reason I think it might be Kings Lynn!

Hi!

Found Flying Shale, but seems Roogames website is not active and e-mail enquiries@roogames.co.uk is wrong . No response two weeks to e-mail Roogames@googlemail.com. Demo version works good in Windows 7, so how and where can I get full version? Is still FS available?

Hi!

Found Flying Shale, but seems Roogames website is not active and e-mail enquiries@roogames.co.uk is wrong . No response two weeks to e-mail Roogames@googlemail.com. Demo version works good in Windows 7, so how and where can I get full version? Is still FS available?

I think I still have the installation files somewhere. If the author has disappeared and is no longer selling it, I could make it available for download somewhere.

Another speedway game is Speedway Meeting, although it's a bit old now.

Pretty good game, although graphics are a bit basic.

Ive done a couple of golden greats championships using the GP format on here with all of the riders who have been world champions.

I didn't know you could create your own formats though. Might have a go at setting up the current GP scoring system, as most recent one is 2005.