British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
barrow boy

Leicester V King's Lynn Saturday June 7th

The BSF hardly a scientific poll is it?

Maybe not, although I often find that people make such remarks when opinions on here disagree with theirs.

The simple truth is that it is feedback from paying customers most of whom have absolutely no axe to grind with Leicester Speedway at all and indeed probably want it to succeed off track if not on.

To ignore, brush aside or dismiss comment from such people is something that the owner of a business does at great risk to himself.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

It really is such a shame that all of this "track shape" debate detracts from the excellent work that Glyn and Kevin are doing on the racing surface. Saturday night was a peach of a track, even after all the rain that had fallen in the week and on the day. The track is smooth and just keeps generating dirt and they then make the effort to grade it well for the MDL meetings which is much appreciated by the lads racing after the main meeting. The surface has come a long way since the early days but I think Saturday proves that you can't beat Mother Nature's track watering skills!!.

No-one is saying the track is not well-prepared - but everyone is saying it is of a design not conducive to speedway racing - which means its unfit for purpose and needs a redesign.

No matter how well the track is prepared if you can't race on it then you can't race on it.

As someone said 'its like polishing a turd'.

Edited by Star Fever
  • Like 3

No-one is saying the track is not well-prepared - but everyone is saying it is of a design not conducive to speedway racing - which means its unfit for purpose and needs a redesign.

No matter how well the track is prepared if you can't race on it then you can't race on it.

As someone said 'its like polishing a turd'.

Iversens performance on Saturday put the track debate beyond any doubt , broke the track record twice which is testament to good preperation . but could not pass Korneliussen in heat 15 which is equal testimony that the track shape prevents overtaking . no more to be said really ,

• Like 4

I'd say you are bang on the money there. Have a look at BP and Slater Street on google earth. I think he maybe wanted to create a speedway track that is different to anything else, as a monument to himself. That seems to have been thoroughly achieved

Glyn has been to Slater Street and paced it out, BP is a scaled up version. DH wanted a fast track and to be fair that's what it is, and you can understand the thought process, trouble is it's too fast for the bends. Shorten the straights and it will help no end I'm sure, Who knows if it will happen though, until it does I'm staying away as I've spent hundreds watching garbage. No axe to grind with Dave or any of the management, known most of them for donkeys, so no hidden agenda, but it's not entertaining to watch and like others I've told prospective punters to stay away fearing they will be put off for good..Please, please just make the changes we all know are needed - we are known as the worst track in the country - does anyone really want to have that label attached?

• Like 4

David hemsley has Not spoken out to defend his track or to encourage fans that he will make urgent changes now.

No respect to the paying customers.

I have only been to Beaumont park once, last weekend and it is a lovely set up , great stadium , friendly supporters(well they were on the bank just before the first bend, someone say hi!)and a really smooth racing surface, a bit of banking which should make for good racing but the track is just missing that little something. An off season reshape of the bends maybe, making the track rounder maybe would,, I think turn a good set up into one of the best in the country. A slightly shorter east of England showground with some banking too.......Yes please.

• Like 1

David hemsley has Not spoken out to defend his track or to encourage fans that he will make urgent changes now.

No respect to the paying customers.

Unfortunately, DH has said that he does not use the forum or any social media sites.

Edited by Fanmale
  • Like 1

Unfortunately, DH has said that he does not use the forum or any social media sites.

I bet you he does read these things but there is no way he will admit it......Hemsley is typical of the kind of my way or the highway,head in sand fella....he'd rather shut the track than admit he is wrong......I live in hope that a proper speedway person will buy him out,but I won't hold my breath.
  • Like 1

It was clear that the track record holder was quicker than mads and tried to pass inside and outside but found it impossible because mads was on the only racing line.

Hemsley is killing the sport in Leicester by his arrogance in thinking he has the perfect track,if you speak to him he will say he has a great race track.

saw advert today on Leicester bus -LEICESTERSPEEDWAY NO BRAKES NO FEAR NO PASSING. mickyp

• Like 3

Hasn't DH commented in the programme about what has been said on here ?

It's a real shame he is risking the clubs future

Maybe he should. Then he might begin to try and understand why more and more people are giving up on BP. It's dropped off big time since 2011 - and way below what the expected levels were in the planning stage. That's because of the lack of entertainment on offer. Nothing more or less. Being in some sort of stubborn denial doesn't alter that. People have been, they've seen, and mostly, they've not come back.

I bet you he does read these things but there is no way he will admit it......Hemsley is typical of the kind of my way or the highway,head in sand fella....he'd rather shut the track than admit he is wrong......I live in hope that a proper speedway person will buy him out, but I won't hold my breath.

That would appear to be the only way for any change to occur. Big job to take on though, not to mention expensive.

• Like 1

I have only been to Beaumont park once, last weekend and it is a lovely set up , great stadium , friendly supporters(well they were on the bank just before the first bend, someone say hi!)and a really smooth racing surface, a bit of banking which should make for good racing but the track is just missing that little something. An off season reshape of the bends maybe, making the track rounder maybe would,, I think turn a good set up into one of the best in the country. A slightly shorter east of England showground with some banking too.......Yes please.

This is spot on...I'm sure DH knows it too...the question is what will it take to help him see how he could have the best stadium/track in the country rather than the newest missed opportunity....does anyone have any constructive suggestions to make this possible? I ask because someone must have his ear and frankly I think DH has done a great job in so many ways in bringing speedway back to leicester...other than the track...and that is the most significant part of the whole picture.

Maybe not, although I often find that people make such remarks when opinions on here disagree with theirs.

The simple truth is that it is feedback from paying customers most of whom have absolutely no axe to grind with Leicester Speedway at all and indeed probably want it to succeed off track if not on.

To ignore, brush aside or dismiss comment from such people is something that the owner of a business does at great risk to himself.

Halifax - you sound a well-travelled speedway observer who has been to a great number of meetings down the years.

I think you said earlier, that out of 9 visits to Beaumont Park, you have seen only 1 good meeting.

Like quite a few who post on here, I was weaned on Blackbird Road (and went to a few away matches) in the 1960/70/80's - and so it is quite possible that in so doing I gained an impression of speedway which has given me unrealistic expectations of Leicester's new venue.

From your considerable experience, what would say is a current realistic average ratio of good/poor meetings from across all venues?

Also, what sort of factors make a meeting a "good one", in your opinion?

Halifax - you sound a well-travelled speedway observer who has been to a great number of meetings down the years.

I think you said earlier, that out of 9 visits to Beaumont Park, you have seen only 1 good meeting.

Like quite a few who post on here, I was weaned on Blackbird Road (and went to a few away matches) in the 1960/70/80's - and so it is quite possible that in so doing I gained an impression of speedway which has given me unrealistic expectations of Leicester's new venue.

From your considerable experience, what would say is a current realistic average ratio of good/poor meetings from across all venues?

Also, what sort of factors make a meeting a "good one", in your opinion?

That's a difficult one. About 35% good, 45% OK and 20% poor maybe. Its very much dependent upon where you go, and I tend to favour places that I like. I think every PL meeting at Scunny this season has been good (NL is another matter) and Somerset, Mildenhall, Peterborough and Plymouth have rarely let me down.

The surprise has been Belle Vue. Two out of three have been very good indeed.

I think that everyone has to be practical - even in the good matches, the majority of heats are probably won from the start. Then again, I suspect they always have been.

Belle Vue on Monday for me was getting towards as good as it gets. The riders were almost always close - rarely did they get strung out- the result was going to the wire and in the latter part of the meeting there was some real racing.

I never went to Blackbird Road but was told that the quality of the speedway was high there. Personally, I'd say that your expectations weren't unrealistic because there are tracks that produce that today, and there's no reason why Leicester might not have been the same. Based upon my travels, the worst track surface is Kent - which has to be seen to be believed - but Leicester has the dubious privilege of probably being the worst gaters paradise in the country, a situation that is compounded by the fact that the riders get strung out in many races.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 3