British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Belle Vue National Stadium

Well we're little the wiser from the reporting in the Star.Possibly a failure on the initial delivery of the stadium/track, but that was compounded by the promotion not postponing the first meeting when that became apparent. Beyond that, what else?If there were significant mitigating circumstances, why would the BSPA have terminated a promoting licence?

While the first meeting cancellation was a PR disaster, can't see where the big money loss from that meeting came from , surely they are only returning income that had already been collected.Ok a loss on some riders expenses but what else! Sounds as they did not pay any rent anyway!! Edited by Fromafar

We are not a tabloid newspaper and sometimes have to take the view that some things are better left unsaid. British speedway is in a precarious state as it is without SS rocking the boat still further.

That is the sort of attitude why speedway is in the state that it's in

• Like 1

While the first meeting cancellation was a PR disaster, can't see where the big money loss from that meeting came from , surely they are only returning income that had already been collected.Ok a loss on some riders expenses but what else! Sounds as they did not pay any rent anyway!!

The tickets went on sale 11 months before the event. Quite possible revenue from sales or a portion of helped the club with bills in 2015. Not an uncommon business practice so long as one can deliver and still afford the deliver the product later.

• Like 2

The tickets went on sale 11 months before the event. Quite possible revenue from sales or a portion of helped the club with bills in 2015. Not an uncommon business practice so long as one can deliver and still afford the deliver the product later.

Not to mention that the 150k ish was no doubt part of the business plan for the year.

While the first meeting cancellation was a PR disaster, can't see where the big money loss from that meeting came from , surely they are only returning income that had already been collected.Ok a loss on some riders expenses but what else! Sounds as they did not pay any rent anyway!!

OF course having to return the money was a huge blow. Having a bumper opening crowd and with it substantial revenue was vitally important for them. It was money they were never going to get again and the loss of four more home meetings, including the traditionally lucrative Good Friday fixture against Wolverhampton was another body blow.

It would appear that it all went pear shaped from then which is why Gordon, rightly or wrongly, lays much of the blame at the door of MCC

Just looked up the belle vue speedway accounts. Seem to be a different entity to that which Phil the Ace posted an earlier link to. But those are for 2014 and showed zero current assets but 730k of current liabilities. Only have access to the abbreviated financials, but even so that is an awful position, and would seem to align with what has been staTed by some on here that the financial issues date back to the dog track. Which begs the question of whether MCC did due diligence, as relying on payments from an entity with that balance sheet position at the start of the new "project" seems dicey at best.

• Like 1

Ok so it seems there are multiple companies, BV arena and BV speedway being the main ones. Net position of those is current liabilities exceeding current assets by circa 350k, so not as bad as indicated above but still pretty awful.

Morts "net worth" across companies he is director of is negative 380kish which seems pretty awful.

OF course having to return the money was a huge blow. Having a bumper opening crowd and with it substantial revenue was vitally important for them. It was money they were never going to get again and the loss of four more home meetings, including the traditionally lucrative Good Friday fixture against Wolverhampton was another body blow.

It would appear that it all went pear shaped from then which is why Gordon, rightly or wrongly, lays much of the blame at the door of MCC

He may not be entirely wrong.

That said, they did put themselves in a position by selling the opening night event almost a year ahead. It is not uncommon for construction projects to hit delays and snags, this had been experienced many a time with all of the red tape and slows on the NSS outside of the clubs control over the years. The Swindon model seems to make more sense, run in the old stadium until the new one opens, even if it is during the season. That would have meant no big gala opening (unless they held off to 2017) but it is something in hindsight which may have saved them.

Edited by SteveEvans

Were the 4 lost home meetings never rearranged then?

We are not a tabloid newspaper and sometimes have to take the view that some things are better left unsaid. British speedway is in a precarious state as it is without SS rocking the boat still further.

Where did I say the Star should be a tabloid newspaper? I fully appreciate that the sport leads a precarious financial existence and that an injudicious article could be the tipping point between a promotion continuing and one where the debts are called in. However, Belle Vue is something that's already happened, not something that may happen so I think it's entirely appropriate to analyse what went wrong.

Regardless of whether you think most of the Star's readership uses the Internet, there are many speedway fans and I daresay Manchester City Councillors who do. They're perfectly able to find out rumours, gossip and indeed financial information, and then will talk about it. I therefore think it's far better to lay out some of the facts which at least gives the opportunity to mitigate the situation rather than have rumours spiralling out of control.

The sport continuing to brush problems under the carpet just gives it a shoddy image, and I'm fairly certain has contributed to the loss of tracks as well down the years. There's only so many times that landlords and suppliers are prepared to get shafted, and eventually they come to the conclusion that housing is more reliable not to mention more lucrative.

There are a number of people on here who openly questioned the business plan from the outset, but were assured by an eminent speedway journalist that everything in the garden was rosy. Now what should have been a rare positive development in generally depressing downward spiral for the sport, is not only looking like yet another nail in its coffin, but fingers of blame are being pointed anywhere but towards those responsible. Hopefully as you assure us, the situation is not irretrievable, but it would seem inevitable that MCC will want more guarantees next time around.

On a more general note, it's obviously not a pleasant task to haul a long-standing servant of the sport over the coals, and one who was undoubtedly involved in the project for well meaning reasons. It's also easy to be critical of those who get off their backsides and no doubt stake significant amounts of money in a sport with very questionable returns, but there seems to have been some completely unrealistic expectations from this venture compounded by a serious error at the start of the season.

• Like 3

It is occasionally useful to use an analogy or a metaphor.

To shed light on a difficult subject and illuminate our understanding.

After 'wading through that treacle'.

I feel I know so much less.

• Like 2

Tenant- my co alarm keeps going off what should I do?

Landlord - move into this b&b, you pay the bill and keep receipts. Whatever it costs you can knock off the rent for the next few months. I'll get the money back off the gas fitter.

Tenant - nice one, do we need to change the tenancy agreement?

Landlord - nah, no need.

It takes a couple of months and the b&b and other receipts add up to around 9 months rent. Tenant moves back in. He's really struggled to cover the b&b cost but his landlord was so helpful he got by, just!

Tenant - thanks for being so helpful.

Landlord - no problem. I tell you what, organise a big party for your friends after it's sorted and I'll chip in £200 for booze to help it along.

Tenant - wow, you are a fantastic landlord.

The gas fitter has done loads of work for the Landlord and has several jobs lined up.

Landlord - right we just need to sort out this compo, I've told the tenant he doesn't need to pay rent to smooth things over so you don't get involved in court litigation, shall we call it £4500?

Gas fitter - bugger off you thick twart oh and I want all my outstanding bills paid now and I want paying up front for any of the jobs we are working on or we walk off the job you gormless warnker.

The week before the party landlord goes back to the tenant and tells him he has changed his mind and will need the rent after all, sorry. If you don't pay the rent you will be evicted, but I'll give you time to pay.

Tenant - what about the b&b money?

Landlord - that's your problem. By the way, I won't be giving you that £200 either, you'll have to get your mates to pay it.

Tenants - I'll have to take you to court.

Landlord - okay whatever.

The tenant has no money, the landlord knows it will take months and months before its sorted in court so he gets on with finding another tenant behind the current tenants back.

Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental

And is there any 'resemblance'?

• Like 1

Curzon Ashton's Tameside Stadium seems to survive very well in football as a council buit and owned stadium ..and that gets crowds of 200-300 most weeks...

However they do seem to attract good sponsorship ..they have an excellent 4G football pitch attached which is booked out all the time...there are always plenty of birthday parties booked there..it's used regularly for ex players taking their UEFA coaching badges...in short it's a council owned facility that is in constant use....

But I don't think any Curzon Ashton player will earn what Mates Zagar earns !

The location of the Belle Vue stadium doesn't lend itself for regular functions..the area is not great..there isn't a shortage of venues for parties round Manchester ..better areas than Gorton ...loads of hotel venues in the city for weddings and receptions ..we had ours in a city centre hotel...can't see a place in Gorton competing with those..

Concerts are a no go...there's loads of concert venues in Manchester..and if it's an outdoor concert then it's not big enough for a top act ..there's venues every year for those acts..

So realistically I can't see a regular income for the stadium outside of speedway..so I'm not sure what they can do about that..

The schedule doesn't help...in the good old days you knew Belle Vue was Saturday night..you got into the habit of knowing that was race night...this season there were plenty of nights I didn't even realise there was a meeting..it was very random..albeit by necessity at times..but not ideal...on top of that there are lengthy gaps between meetings which cannot help with cash flow when you've got rent deadlines to meet..

All in all its a tricky one...I hope it survives and I'm sure a compromise with the council will be found...it does the council no favours to have a new stadium sitting unused in its area...that doesn't look good on them..so I'm sure the Aces will run and then everybody needs to pull together to try and make the thing viable...a lot of people seem to be happy if this venture fails..the I told you so brigade ...we'll if it fails then it's anot her tail in speedway coffin in this country so ALL speedway fans should be desperate for this to be a success in the long term

Curzon Ashton's Tameside Stadium seems to survive very well in football as a council buit and owned stadium ..and that gets crowds of 200-300 most weeks...

However they do seem to attract good sponsorship ..they have an excellent 4G football pitch attached which is booked out all the time...there are always plenty of birthday parties booked there..it's used regularly for ex players taking their UEFA coaching badges...in short it's a council owned facility that is in constant use....

But I don't think any Curzon Ashton player will earn what Mates Zagar earns !

The location of the Belle Vue stadium doesn't lend itself for regular functions..the area is not great..there isn't a shortage of venues for parties round Manchester ..better areas than Gorton ...loads of hotel venues in the city for weddings and receptions ..we had ours in a city centre hotel...can't see a place in Gorton competing with those..

Concerts are a no go...there's loads of concert venues in Manchester..and if it's an outdoor concert then it's not big enough for a top act ..there's venues every year for those acts..

So realistically I can't see a regular income for the stadium outside of speedway..so I'm not sure what they can do about that..

The schedule doesn't help...in the good old days you knew Belle Vue was Saturday night..you got into the habit of knowing that was race night...this season there were plenty of nights I didn't even realise there was a meeting..it was very random..albeit by necessity at times..but not ideal...on top of that there are lengthy gaps between meetings which cannot help with cash flow when you've got rent deadlines to meet..

All in all its a tricky one...I hope it survives and I'm sure a compromise with the council will be found...it does the council no favours to have a new stadium sitting unused in its area...that doesn't look good on them..so I'm sure the Aces will run and then everybody needs to pull together to try and make the thing viable...a lot of people seem to be happy if this venture fails..the I told you so brigade ...we'll if it fails then it's anot her tail in speedway coffin in this country so ALL speedway fans should be desperate for this to be a success in the long term

I went to Hever Castle recently and they were advertising weddings there. I am sure many would agree that having your big day in a 15th century castle (modernised in the early 20th century) with acres of landscaped gardens and grounds and 5 star overnight accommodation thrown in would be just about ideal. The same number also couldn't afford it.

As such, its a question of pricing and a recognition that there is significant competition in Manchester. NSS has the basic facilities to hold social functions, so there is no reason why they can't do that. Somerset do, and while they have less competition they also have significantly less population density.

Isle of Wight have made attempts to ensure that Smallbrook is used for events other than speedway, and have attracted some including one that has always been held elsewhere on the Island. Again, no reason why Belle Vue can't do the same.

I am certain that whoever takes over Belle Vue will be aware of the potential uses of the stadium as a whole. Indeed, my suspicion is that they will be keen to take over the stadium and get the Aces as part of the deal rather than the other way around.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Any chance of getting Sir Philip Green to run it, he could sell it for a pound, then the 600 million he makes out of it could be shared out amongst all the Clubs, problems solved, and we could give every Rider a pair of the SS endorsed Gerhard engines to use FOC