British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Belle Vue National Stadium

There are reasons why people chose pseudonyms, not least because unfortunately there are a few people who can't discuss things nicely and start making personal threats.

Is your first name 'The' or 'White', or is 'White Knight' a double-barrelled surname?

No - but I am not calling anyone names.

Better get used to having your own name sarcastically abused around here if you're going to start doing that to other members of this forum.

missing your sense of humour today arthur. I thought it was pretty good. Apart from that, lot more worse sarcastic remarks on here made about others then that.

This forum reminds me a little of the Monty Python sketch, "I Wish To Start An Argument."

No it doesn't...

• Like 5

AGREE that they should not have run the meeting after being warned that the track would not hold up. But I do believe messrs Gordon and Morton (especially the latter, who should know about these things) thought that it would be all right on the night. Sadly they were mistaken.

The track "curator" should have made it perfectly clear that the track wouldn't hold up. After all he would have been there several days before, AND on the day. The whole thing was a shambles.

It's also not unrealistic to expect snags, especially those projects with an optimistic timetable for completion.

And penalty clauses would presumably depend on what the contract price was in the first place. If you're paying a premium price then you might reasonably insist on timely delivery. If you're paying a bargain basement price, then expectations have to be managed.

Personally, I'd say its not unreasonable for anyone performing a service to state a price and a completion date and stick to both and that 'timely delivery' should pretty much be a given (I certainly don't believe that the timetable here was optimistic). Cheap is OK, but not if its crap - I am sure that both of us would quickly dump any form of contractor if they were consistently late, even if they did cost less than others.

Better get used to having your own name sarcastically abused around here if you're going to start doing that to other members of this forum.

No wonder your journalistic credibility has been shredded by some on this forum if your true standard of debating is to resort to kindergarten name-calling when you've so little else to offer (or, more accurately, so little that you're spinelessly prepared to offer in case it rocks a boat that's barely afloat anyway rather than utterly watertight).

By the way, the silence of your reply to the above question on this same thread six days ago has been predictably and gutlessly deafening.

He certainly won't get any abuse from me, sarcastic or otherwise. Personally, I'd say this forum is improved by having the opinions of a man who has been involved in speedway for 50 years and is the managing editor of pretty much the only weekly magazine that covers the sport and, for what its worth, I greatly value them - whether I agree with him or not.

I have found that I agree with the majority of Phil's opinions of what has happened at Belle Vue and indeed what is to happen in the future.

I sometimes have criticisms of how the Spar reports things, although I accept a trade magazine has to tread a fine line, especially in the Belle Vue case.

Well said, Humph. My problem with the Star is the lack of criticism - although, as you say, there are limits.

The problem is I rarely see any abuse or rule bending subject to editorial comment when they most certainly should be. In not doing so, at best the Star can be accused of turning a blind eye, at worst utter condonement.

Neither am I.

Phillipe??

• Like 1

This forum reminds me a little of the Monty Python sketch, "I Wish To Start An Argument."

No it doesn't

No it doesn't

"Oh yes it does".

Must be that time of year. :unsure::blink:

"It's behind you". :rofl: :rofl:

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 1

Phillipe??

Not sure how that can be contrived to be name calling.

There are (or were) several Phillip-related names on the forum, so as a humorous nod to Private Eye, I came up with an easy to identify moniker for Lord Gnome of Pinegen.

Personally, I'd say its not unreasonable for anyone performing a service to state a price and a completion date and stick to both and that 'timely delivery' should pretty much be a given (I certainly don't believe that the timetable here was optimistic). Cheap is OK, but not if its crap - I am sure that both of us would quickly dump any form of contractor if they were consistently late, even if they did cost less than others.

He certainly won't get any abuse from me, sarcastic or otherwise. Personally, I'd say this forum is improved by having the opinions of a man who has been involved in speedway for 50 years and is the managing editor of pretty much the only weekly magazine that covers the sport and, for what its worth, I greatly value them - whether I agree with him or not.

I have found that I agree with the majority of Phil's opinions of what has happened at Belle Vue and indeed what is to happen in the future.

Well said, Humph. My problem with the Star is the lack of criticism - although, as you say, there are limits.

The problem is I rarely see any abuse or rule bending subject to editorial comment when they most certainly should be. In not doing so, at best the Star can be accused of turning a blind eye, at worst utter condonement.

THE thing about an editorial comment is that it is actually the view of the person who is writing it and not necessarily of the readership as a whole.

A editorial in the Times, Telegraph or Daily Mail probably does reflect the views of their readership because that is why they buy that particular newspaper.

I could probably write an editorial every week but why should the opinion of Philip Rising carry any more weight than anyone else. By previous experience, it certainly hasn't at the BSPA!

Not sure how that can be contrived to be name calling.

There are (or were) several Phillip-related names on the forum, so as a humorous nod to Private Eye, I came up with an easy to identify moniker for Lord Gnome of Pinegen.

AND I have never said I have a problem with that. I'm not that thin-skinned.

• Like 2

Thats another massive kick in the teeth for the NSS...

The stadium was built with the promise of major events and now the World Cup has gone, and also the World U21's

If they cant get these meetings the track is now basically going to run in 2017 with just 18 Premiership meetings and no showcase events...

This doesnt help attract new promotors as there is no income to generate

I can see the NSS closing at the end of 2017 season