British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Belle Vue National Stadium

Far too many cynics on here.

orion - I agree I don't think anyone has actually said they HOPE the new Stadium goes belly up - BUT - reading some of the Posts on here that is definitely the very strong impression I have formed. I am obviously not alone in this.

There are also those who also seem to delight in bringing any bad News on here - another very strong impression - yet again.

I will rejoice when the Stadium opens. At least part of my rejoicing will be because of the egg on the faces of some on here.

The good news, is the longer it takes to build, the closer I become to being eligible to cheap or free travel and concessionary entrance fee! Every cloud........!

• Like 4

The bigger picture here is simple. If a success can be made of this, then it can happen elsewhere, maybe Cradley, maybe Coventry, both of whom need or will need tracks. If this sport is to taken seriously, it needs big city teams, and for those to be successful. The national media won't cover Poole and Kings Lynn regularly as they don't know where those towns are.

The bigger picture here is simple. If a success can be made of this, then it can happen elsewhere, maybe Cradley, maybe Coventry, both of whom need or will need tracks. If this sport is to taken seriously, it needs big city teams, and for those to be successful. The national media won't cover Poole and Kings Lynn regularly as they don't know where those towns are.

Not sure Cradley is a big city? And we did have Birmingham!

• Like 1

where's Everton, Aston, Chester-le-Street, Belle Vue even... ? It's the sports team that puts the place on the map in the first place. King's Lynn and Poole must help project the town's profile in the conciousness of the regional public, more so than Birmingham which doesn't convey where the club is based in that metropolis. Unlike Cradley, Wimbledon, Belle Vue which are far more identifiable with a particular part of an urban area. Could this be why London, Birmingham and Liverpool haven't survived?

Edited by Mike.Butler

Far too many cynics on here.

Just being realistic doesnt make anyone a cynic. You wont survive very long if you think only good things happen in life.

Its difficult to be optimistic about speedway when you consider how many tracks have closed in the last 30 years - and how many supporters lost - etc etc

• Like 1

where's Everton, Aston, Chester-le-Street, Belle Vue even... ? It's the sports team that puts the place on the map in the first place. King's Lynn and Poole must help project the town's profile in the conciousness of the regional public, more so than Birmingham which doesn't convey where the club is based in that metropolis. Unlike Cradley, Wimbledon, Belle Vue which are far more identifiable with a particular part of an urban area. Could this be why London, Birmingham and Liverpool haven't survived?

I don't think the name has anything to do with it, personally.

You say Wimbledon, then say 3 names (including London) which haven't survived. When was the last time Wimbledon had a proper team in a league?

I know it's splitting hairs, but why didn't the likes of New Cross, Hackney, Harringay etc., etc., survive? I don't think it's because of their names.

• Like 1

If this sport is to taken seriously, it needs big city teams, and for those to be successful.

Why? With maybe 2 or 3 exceptions, it's the provincial tracks that have demonstrated longevity.

The national media won't cover Poole and Kings Lynn regularly as they don't know where those towns are.

The 'national media' is increasingly irrelevant in the modern world. The printed media is dying a death, whilst television becomes ever more fragmented and 'on-demand'.

In many ways there should be more opportunities for speedway through 'new media' as its no longer reliant on cynical hacks who aren't interested in venturing very far from their locals.

• Like 2

The agenda & individual reports for the Planning & Highways Committee Meeting on 11th September 2014 are now available to view on line. Please see the link below.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/meeting...ways_committee

We are item 8 and its 172 pages!!!!

Read it. It's a good and interesting read. And funny regarding bats lol

The agenda & individual reports for the Planning & Highways Committee Meeting on 11th September 2014 are now available to view on line. Please see the link below.

http://www.manchester.gov.uk/meeting...ways_committee

We are item 8 and its 172 pages!!!!

Read it. It's a good and interesting read. And funny regarding bats lol

I think you posted a bad link Phil. Try http://www.manchester.gov.uk/meetings/meeting/2128/planning_and_highways_committee instead...

Whoever put that together deserves a medal, but there again its their job and they get to know whats what.

Just one error - I noticed they missed out one house on the list of properties notified. :D

Got to be disappointing that the "national stadium" has a capacity of less then 6,500.

But the good news is that Cardiff will still be required for the British GP - no real chance of it being at BV surely

Whoever put that together deserves a medal, but there again its their job and they get to know whats what.

Just one error - I noticed they missed out one house on the list of properties notified. :D

Got to be disappointing that the "national stadium" has a capacity of less then 6,500.

But the good news is that Cardiff will still be required for the British GP - no real chance of it being at BV surely

No - BUT - the English GP could be. :t::approve:

Would it pay for itself with just 6,500?

6,024 to be precise.

Would it pay for itself with just 6,500?

They'd put temporary stands on the back straight and bends to increase capacity for such an event.

Edited by BWitcher
  • Like 1