British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Belle Vue National Stadium

WAS not including a SGP in that scenario... why would they want one anywhere other than Cardiff?

If Cardiff wasn't available for some reason, or if it was decided to have two British GPs like Poland or Sweden.

• Like 3

The danger is many fans will see the new stadium as the 'saviour of speedway'....

The truth is the addition of a new speedway stadium to speedway in its current guise, is akin to putting a pair of 44dd implants in a lady's chest when she is in the operating theatre to have a heart transplant

Cosmetically it will all look great, but without the serious surgery required to fix the patients real problems, it could sadly and ultimately prove to be nothing more than a well intentioned expensive futile exercise....

Edited by mikebv
  • Like 3

The danger is many fans will see the new stadium as the 'saviour of speedway'....

The truth is the addition of a new speedway stadium to speedway in its current guise, is akin to putting a pair of 44dd implants in a lady's chest when she is in the hospital to have a heart transplant

Cosmetically it will all look great, but without the serious surgery required to fix the patients real problems, ultimately it could sadly prove to be nothing more than a well intentioned futile exercise....

Which is why i am amazed at the city council being involved with this. It is quite likely they will end up with a £6000,000 white elephant on their hands. Only the most optimistic can see a long term future for british speedway in its current guise and the current incumbents dont seem to have a clue how to turn things round

• Like 2

Which is why i am amazed at the city council being involved with this. It is quite likely they will end up with a £6000,000 white elephant on their hands. Only the most optimistic can see a long term future for british speedway in its current guise and the current incumbents dont seem to have a clue how to turn things round

Yes and a pity the forum has negative, glass half empty, 'speedway put downs, without constructive opinion' like you!

The new BV complex is not just a speedway venue, its a sports complex - a multi sports complex, thats why the city council is probably backing the venue, to be involved in providing multi sports facilities for the local community.

The new BV complex is not just a speedway venue, its a sports complex - a multi sports complex, thats why the city council is probably backing the venue, to be involved in providing multi sports facilities for the local community.

And at the heart of it is an oval shaped stadium designed for speedway. It will be pretty much useless to anything other than oval track sport so should the Aces vacate it, for whatever reason, it would need a massive injection of cash to make it into a usable venue for anything else.

And at the heart of it is an oval shaped stadium designed for speedway. It will be pretty much useless to anything other than oval track sport so should the Aces vacate it, for whatever reason, it would need a massive injection of cash to make it into a usable venue for anything else.

Whilst I have to admit to a degree of cynicism about this over-hyped project, councils waste lots of money on lots of things with a limited economic outlook, including athletics stadiums which hardly anyone uses (e.g. Don Valley). Perhaps if speedway got more support from local government (as in Scandinavia) than it might help rejuvenate what used to be a popular sport at the heart of local communities.

There's probably a reasonable case that if a half-respectable stadium can be constructed, then it might well draw larger speedway events that will help justify it. After all, there's not really much competition around nowadays, and if/when Coventry goes, there will really be no respectable stadium for major speedway events left in Britain.

• Like 2

You could go back to the old days and have the ELRC there as they did for many years at Hyde road, whats the chance of the European Grand prix coming to Britain.

It seems a bit odd to me that an event called European GP is always in Poland, if its a european event shouldent it be spread about to other european countrys, this might generate some capital as a new Grand prix of this sort in different countrys generally gets a good crowd.

Whilst I have to admit to a degree of cynicism about this over-hyped project, councils waste lots of money on lots of things with a limited economic outlook, including athletics stadiums which hardly anyone uses (e.g. Don Valley). Perhaps if speedway got more support from local government (as in Scandinavia) than it might help rejuvenate what used to be a popular sport at the heart of local communities.

There's probably a reasonable case that if a half-respectable stadium can be constructed, then it might well draw larger speedway events that will help justify it. After all, there's not really much competition around nowadays, and if/when Coventry goes, there will really be no respectable stadium for major speedway events left in Britain.

Don Valley is actually a good case in point. As an athletic stadium it was one of the finest, thing is, outside of big championships, no one goes to watch athletics, its more about participation at club level than attracting huge crowds. Problem for Don Valley though was that it didn't lend itself to anything other than athletics, Sheffield Eagles played there to rather pitiful crowds in a totally sterile atmosphere, largely dictated by the layout. To make Don Valley usable it would have pretty much had to be demolished and rebuilt, the council electing to carry out only the former

You could go back to the old days and have the ELRC there as they did for many years at Hyde road, whats the chance of the European Grand prix coming to Britain.

It seems a bit odd to me that an event called European GP is always in Poland, if its a european event shouldent it be spread about to other european countrys, this might generate some capital as a new Grand prix of this sort in different countrys generally gets a good crowd.

The European GP will go to whoever stumps up the cash to hold it. You could host it in your back garden if you are willing to give BSI a few hundred grand for the privilege

Ill look into that, fantastic I could watch out of the kitchen window, crowd would be a problem and the track would be kinda small I reckon I could get 20 in the garden, do a few sandwiches and keep the kettle on.

Press box could be on the garage roof now or I have to do is have a word with solihull Council and get planning permission, European grand prix for 2016 will be in Solihull. Tickets will be a bit expensive due to the low capacity.

Im not to far from Birmingham airport either. The bus and rail travel is close as well, theres a bus stop just up the road, right next job have a word with BSI.

Ill keep you informed of the progress of this project.

• Like 7

Ill look into that, fantastic I could watch out of the kitchen window, crowd would be a problem and the track would be kinda small I reckon I could get 20 in the garden, do a few sandwiches and keep the kettle on.

Press box could be on the garage roof now or I have to do is have a word with solihull Council and get planning permission, European grand prix for 2016 will be in Solihull. Tickets will be a bit expensive due to the low capacity.

Im not to far from Birmingham airport either. The bus and rail travel is close as well, theres a bus stop just up the road, right next job have a word with BSI.

Ill keep you informed of the progress of this project.

To be honest your GP is more likely to happen than the recent one in Riga, sounds like you have put more thought into it as well.

• Like 2

Apparently the Manchester evening news are reporting we have been given the green light for the new stadium. The hearing is suppose to be tomo though so they may have jumped the gun

Apparently the Manchester evening news are reporting we have been given the green light for the new stadium. The hearing is suppose to be tomo though so they may have jumped the gun

LOL. Thought tbf, even cynical old me expected that once planning permission went in it was a formality. Lets just hope something gets built that is at least half way to being what was described and fitting of the name "National Speedway Stadium".

A paralell thread on this topic has now been locked. I would have though an idea MIGHT have been to combine the two threads. It's easy enough for a Mod/Mods to do this.

HOCKEY pitch in the middle