British Speedway Forum
PHILIPRISING

Belle Vue National Stadium

SOME people on here still do not appreciate that what started out as plans for a new speedway stadium across the road from the present one became part and parcel of a much bigger regeneration project envisaged by Manchester City (the council) which subsequently also indirectly involved Manchester City (the football club).

As for messrs Gordon and Morton visiting Torun ... of course the new Belle Vue was never going to mirror Torun in terms of grandstands but what they hoped to learn from one of speedway's newest purpose-built stadiums was more to do with the actual track, drainage, media and rider facilities, etc.

Starting from scratch with the track they have the chance to do as much as possible to counter the great British weather which, as we are seeing so often this season, can play havoc with speedway in this country.

• Like 2

And while we're being all negative, I don't know why Gordon/Morton keep going off to have a look at Torun, if the artist impression is anything to go by they'd be better off going to the East of England Showground

I don't know about keep going off to Torun. I didn't know they were regular visitors.

The major influence on the track design is the Hyde Road track, regarded by many as the best track we've ever had in the UK. No need to go Peterborough.

• Like 1

Blimey!!!

I get accused of being negative and cynical. I could learn a lot on this Thread couldn't I?

Some of those Posting, I believe, don't want this to happen for some reason which I cannot fathom. Some of the comments on here are disgraceful. A Promotion is really trying to do something good/great for Speedway - and all some people can do is carp. Frankly it's pathetic.

Certainly it has taken a very long time to get this far and it may well take a very long time before Speedway moves in to the new Stadium. Councils do not move at a rate of knots, if they did the Stadium would have been built by now. Councils are always slow - and this is a very big development.

It saddens me to see such a reaction from people who profess to be Speedway Supporters - no the wonder the Sport is going down hill.

Finally - all you doubters and negative cynics on here - you need to remember one thing Mr. Gordon and Mr. Morton were the men who had the VISION to go ahead with this Project. I would have thought that compliments for their efforts would be due - certainly NOT the abuse Posted on here.

Disgusted - Sunderland.

• Like 6

i agree with everything you so say TWK, however they have shot themselves in the foot a bit - they trumpeted big news and it isn't really is it?

its just given the naysayers plenty of ammo

i agree with everything you so say TWK, however they have shot themselves in the foot a bit - they trumpeted big news and it isn't really is it?

its just given the naysayers plenty of ammo

They were, quite rightly, excited by the News from the Council. Perhaps they overreacted a bit - but - after so long waiting - is it any wonder?

Yet more great News .

Finally - all you doubters and negative cynics on here - you need to remember one thing Mr. Gordon and Mr. Morton were the men who had the VISION to go ahead with this Project. I would have thought that compliments for their efforts would be due - certainly NOT the abuse Posted on here.

The fun really starts if/when the stadium's finally built because then clowns like Gordon/Morton either have to run it successfully themselves or successfully find the right people to run it for them.

Based on the way they've fumbled their way through the first 7 years of this project, don't hold your breath about them making the most of such an important development should it become a reality.

As I've said plenty of times on this forum before, I'm fully supportive of the idea of a National Speedway Stadium being established in a city with a speedway heritage like Manchester.

But I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever in the folk like Gordon/Morton currently being speedway's figureheads in this project and the overhyped trumpeting today of such a routine stage of the planning process by themselves and their lackeys utterly reinforces my opinion.

• Like 3

They were, quite rightly, excited by the News from the Council. Perhaps they overreacted a bit - but - after so long waiting - is it any wonder?

Yes it is any wonder because they are supposed to be professional businessmen, not kids all excited by talk of a new bike for Christmas.

If a press release was to be made, and the public should be kept as informed as possible, it only needed a few lines saying no further progress has been made to date but things are still happening. Building a nothing statement into a landmark event is just plain silly

• Like 2

Yet more great News .

I've had to take a sedative. :neutral:

The fun really starts if/when the stadium's finally built because then clowns like Gordon/Morton either have to run it successfully themselves or successfully find the right people to run it for them.

Based on the way they've fumbled their way through the first 7 years of this project, don't hold your breath about them making the most of such an important development should it become a reality.

As I've said plenty of times on this forum before, I'm fully supportive of the idea of a National Speedway Stadium being established in a city with a speedway heritage like Manchester.

But I have absolutely no confidence whatsoever in the folk like Gordon/Morton currently being speedway's figureheads in this project and the overhyped trumpeting today of such a routine stage of the planning process by themselves and their lackeys utterly reinforces my opinion.

I used to enjoy your Postings about Wimbledon and Oxford Arthur.

I do not, however, like your tone about Mr. Gordon and Mr. Morton. What right do you personally have to call them Clowns - or perhaps YOU have designed a National Speedway Stadium - perhaps that's it.

I don't think so.

I hope I don't detect a Southern bias here. It seems like it to me.

The major influence on the track design is the Hyde Road track, regarded by many as the best track we've ever had in the UK.

I wish the Leicester track had been based on Blackbird Road, never mind. Good luck though
  • Like 1

I used to enjoy your Postings about Wimbledon and Oxford Arthur.

I do not, however, like your tone about Mr. Gordon and Mr. Morton. What right do you personally have to call them Clowns - or perhaps YOU have designed a National Speedway Stadium - perhaps that's it.

I don't think so.

I hope I don't detect a Southern bias here. It seems like it to me.

No Southern bias ... I grew up inside the M25 but have lived in a totally different part of the UK for more than 20 years.

Based on dealings I've had within speedway with Dave Gordon and Chris Morton as the front men of Belle Vue (rather than Morton's distinguished career as a rider), I'd regard "clowns" as the best way of combining a description of them while also rightly remaining within any guidelines of decency on any internet forum.

Some of those Posting, I believe, don't want this to happen for some reason which I cannot fathom. Some of the comments on here are disgraceful. A Promotion is really trying to do something good/great for Speedway - and all some people can do is carp. Frankly it's pathetic.

I don't believe this is the case for one moment, surely every right thinking speedway fan wants this to happen. It's just that the tease of this thread was for some concrete news and quite frankly it's no further forward from happening today as it was at the beginning of the week/month/year.
  • Like 1

what they hoped to learn from one of speedway's newest purpose-built stadiums was more to do with the actual track, drainage, media and rider facilities, etc.

Starting from scratch with the track they have the chance to do as much as possible to counter the great British weather which, as we are seeing so often this season, can play havoc with speedway in this country.

Great drainage at Leicester!

I'm just happy to have someone 'fumble' and in the meantime keep it going rather than the experts who failed to save speedway at Cradley, Wimbledon, Hackney, Oxford, Reading, Bradford, Exeter etc etc, and who knows who is next to just not even bother to 'fumble'.

Exeter have planning permission for Haldon Race Course. Oxford have planning for Cowley, Reading have planning permission. Doesn't really mean much.

It stands to reason that if you're going to build a new stadium you're going to have to apply for planning permission so telling us they're showing some people a few pictures before applying for planning permissions is not really needed. But the big issue here is we were told, "EXPECT some positive and concrete news about the Belle Vue National Stadium later this week..." and we have none do we? And you kind of expect it to be pretty big when it gets it's own new thread.

Edited by SCB