British Speedway Forum
cityrebel

Lakeside V Belle Vue 6/6

Timber?

aaaah, they must have snuck that in between the 70`s cheesefest. :D

Well I wasn't expecting a result quite like that! A good solid effort from the Hammers tonight, with Bech looking incredible and Bridger riding like a man possessed (until heat 15) - both great entertainment.

Lawson started off very well too - and certainly highlighted the fact that many of us Lakeside fans are happy to have him on board instead of Worrall, who repeatedly refused to go round the stock car track despite the track staff directing him every time!

• Like 1

Well done to Lakeside. A very poor performance from the Aces. The only saving grace is that once they got dialled in they actually outscored Lakeside over the last six heats 16-20. However, that is no consolation, they should have come to terms with the track much sooner.

• Like 2

The Aces were terrible Nicholls and Zagar only did anything in their last 2 rides when the meeting was lost. Any Aces fans who travelled down should have their entrance money and travelling expenses paid for by the riders.

Bridger has been superb recently I reckon he can get on the rostrum at the British Final on the 16 June. He must be in the team GB world cup team if he carries on this form.

• Like 2

Bridger has been superb recently I reckon he can get on the rostrum at the British Final on the 16 June. He must be in the team GB world cup team if he carries on this form.

I agree - the way he has been riding lately, he could really get Rosco's attention at the British Final.

Track was much better tonight. First time this season I've seen some great racing wide on T3/4.

Seems our boys were really up for it tonight, didn't let the Aces get a foot in the door. Great team performance, might be a bit tougher on Monday tho

Well done to Lakeside. A very poor performance from the Aces. The only saving grace is that once they got dialled in they actually outscored Lakeside over the last six heats 16-20. However, that is no consolation, they should have come to terms with the track much sooner.

As much as I like Matej Zagar and enjoy watching him I can't help feeling he was only going at eight-tenths tonight and has one eye on the GP's . He certainly didn't look like the rider that used to come down with Swindon a few years ago .

Jason Attwood himself said that with Belle Vues line up they should have had an away win by now, and when you look at the side on paper, he is probably right. Up to him now as T.M. To start reading the Riot Act and get them going otherwise it should be his job on the line. Talking of team mangers has Niel Vatcher had a Dr Who type transformation because he looks remarkably like Phil Morris now.

Well what a thumping BV were cheese on toast, Lakeside meant business last night which showed from a spectators point of view an awful meeting but for Lakeside points.

I've been saying this for nearly thirty years but Aces riders need to learn how to gate. It's boring, it's mundane but at least you win. That's modern day speedway.

• Like 1

These meaningless early season pokc qualifiers do throw up some unusual results, nobody could have predicted a very ordinary Lakeside team doing that even though it was against the worst away team in the league.

Having said that it's not on for almost every rider in the team to be testing set-ups (like Leigh Adams admitted to doing on TV in a meaningless top v 2nd meeting) in the same meeting and some coordination is called for to stop fans being even more short changed by a system that allows a team to lose nearly half their meetings and still win the pokc in the rain at the end of the season.

Do you know for a fact that they were testing set-ups ? The reason I ask is that I can't see how testing set-ups at a track like Lakeside is going to help them on any other track ? Scotty , Zagar and Worrall have done enough laps at Lakeside to know what's needed and to hit the ground running. I have seen Richie Worrall three times this year, twice at PL tracks and then at Lakeside. In those three meetings he hasn't passed a single rider and made it stick but about 4or5 times he has been passed by others almost every time by drifting too wide on the bends and letting the opponent through .That doesn't seem to me like arider testing set-ups, more like someone stuck in a bit of a rut perhaps.

My take on it (andI am not saying I know more than anyone else ) is that BV is not a well managed club. When the team manager himself says they should have had an away win by now and they haven't had one,the fans are entitled to ask what the management are doing about it. The riders are not testing set-ups at every away meeting, but if anything like that is going on its down to the TM to get it sorted.

• Like 1

As you say E I Addio, makes no sense to be testing set ups at Lakeside.

Truth is that apart from a draw at Wolves and a couple of losses just over the 6 points to get anything out of it, we are poor away. My reading is that Cook and Worrall have not been at their best away from home all season. In fact Worrall is not doing that well at home either. Zagar also seems to be missing that edge he had last year. I don't think it's anything unusual, riders have these spells all the time. What is causing the damage is to have three riders not at their best at the same time. The problem is then made worse by having only one reliable reserve. Even he had an of night last night.

The bright spots are Nicholls, Palm-Toft and Nielsen. Attwood can only do so much. He creates the right sort of atmosphere for a good team spirit and the riders relate to him. Belle Vue are not generally known for getting rid of riders and I wouldn't want to see Cook, Worrall or Zagar replaced. They have the ability and I prefer to show loyalty and hope they ride back to their best form.

• Like 1

Just how would you establish someone was testing a setup etc? Unless an admission is made, and that is unlikely if severe sanctions are to be applied, I feel you are on a loser.

As you say E I Addio, makes no sense to be testing set ups at Lakeside.

Truth is that apart from a draw at Wolves and a couple of losses just over the 6 points to get anything out of it, we are poor away. My reading is that Cook and Worrall have not been at their best away from home all season. In fact Worrall is not doing that well at home either. Zagar also seems to be missing that edge he had last year. I don't think it's anything unusual, riders have these spells all the time. What is causing the damage is to have three riders not at their best at the same time. The problem is then made worse by having only one reliable reserve. Even he had an of night last night.

The bright spots are Nicholls, Palm-Toft and Nielsen. Attwood can only do so much. He creates the right sort of atmosphere for a good team spirit and the riders relate to him. Belle Vue are not generally known for getting rid of riders and I wouldn't want to see Cook, Worrall or Zagar replaced. They have the ability and I prefer to show loyalty and hope they ride back to their best form.

A former Lakeside rider who do longer competes in th UK once told me that it is very difficult to concentrate properly on 3 leagues in 3 countries at the same time and having the GP's on top of that it is even harder. Hence we have now seen Freddie Lindgrens become the latest in a long line of Gp riders to ditch the UK to concentrate their efforts more fully elsewhere. I don't think the average fan appreciates that riders like Leigh Adams are the exceptions and the majority can only give their full efforts to a certain number of meetings a year before their form dips. Maybe that is Matej's problem, too much riding. In terms of actual skill on the motor bike he really is quite exceptional, better than most but as you say, something is not quite happening for him this year in the UK but his GP form confirms his class. But IMO the suggestion elsewhere that it is down to testing set-ups beggars belief.