Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

Was it a good meeting or not?? Seem to have two extremes with "entertaining" from Halifax and "awful" from Heathen.??

Was it a good meeting or not?? Seem to have two extremes with "entertaining" from Halifax and "awful" from Heathen.??

I am not sure what meeting he was at, because it wasn't the one at Mildenhall.

Armstrong's stunning ride to pass Atkin & Carr was worth the entrance fee by itself.

• Like 1

It was Buxton that team rode Danny Halsey into last place (although I agree it was excellent team riding).

Thanks for pointing out my deliberate mistake, couldn't be bothered with a programme, especially when there was so many changes, I'd have spent half the afternoon writing instead of enjoying myself.

I think the only fans who reckoned it was a poor meeting would be the ones from the black Country, everybody I spoke to enjoyed it.

Edited by spanner47
  • Like 2

It wasn't a good meeting. Lot of poor teams and you could predict the race outcome before the start of it taking nothin away from Stoke thou. Best pairing on show and deserved to win it. Big well done.

• Like 1

It was a good meeting, with some good racing, the track made it difficult to pass in the latter stages, but overall very entertaining.

It wasn't a good meeting. Lot of poor teams and you could predict the race outcome before the start of it taking nothin away from Stoke thou. Best pairing on show and deserved to win it. Big well done.

Its true to say that Coventry, Devon & King's Lynn were seriously understrength. In Coventry's case (at least) that was totally understandable and this won't be the first or last event hit by withdrawals.

Who would have predicted that Stoke would win after Mildenhall got a 6-2 over them in the final or that Buxton would team ride Halsey out of it ?

There was some cracking racing from the likes of Carr, Worrall, Halsey, Armstrong & Lambert - get the recording if you don't believe me. At the risk of repeating myself, its worth it simply for Armstrong's move on Carr & Atkin - I won't see better this season. It says everything that the crowd and, indeed, other riders rose to him afterwards.

I think Spanner might be right. It was an 'awful' meeting simply because Cradley didn't even qualify for the final and it is a pity that those who were not there get an inaccurate opinion from a biased view.

PS Good to see my old mate Main Man in the pink and as insanely enthusiastic as ever. Stay safe, fella.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

I thought it was an okay meeting, with Group B being the more entertaining of the two.

Terrific final race of the afternoon, with Buxton determined to try and make sure their near neighbours emerged victorious rather than the home team.

Well done to all at Mildenhall for producing a good race track, which as we all know, isn't that easy for an afternoon meeting.

Had to laugh when reading Kevin Jolly's page in the programme, when he gave a warm welcome to Peter MOORISH. Over the years, comments about the gentleman have been far from mooriosh!!

Congratulations Stoke.

Its true to say that Coventry, Devon & King's Lynn were seriously understrength. In Coventry's case (at least) that was totally understandable and this won't be the first or last event hit by withdrawals.

Who would have predicted that Stoke would win after Mildenhall got a 6-2 over them in the final or that Buxton would team ride Halsey out of it ?

There was some cracking racing from the likes of Carr, Worrall, Halsey, Armstrong & Lambert - get the recording if you don't believe me. At the risk of repeating myself, its worth it simply for Armstrong's move on Carr & Atkin - I won't see better this season. It says everything that the crowd and, indeed, other riders rose to him afterwards.

I think Spanner might be right. It was an 'awful' meeting simply because Cradley didn't even qualify for the final and it is a pity that those who were not there get an inaccurate opinion from a biased view.

PS Good to see my old mate Main Man in the pink and as insanely enthusiastic as ever. Stay safe, fella.

It seemed a good meeting to me! Great racing, no serious injuries, team riding at its best, unexpected team winning. What more can you ask for? It was nicely presented, rider interviews a very welcome interlude from a charismatic presenter, good food, good pit viewing, friendly door staff. what's not to like? It did seem to me that the crowd was a little thinner than I expected or hoped for this prestigious meeting, as HT rightly points out, anyone who decries NL racing is missing some wonderful and cheap entertainment. Well done Stoke, well done Buxton and well done Mildenhall promotion. Some riders were unable to attend which was a shame, but even if they had, I cannot believe it would have been better racing. Messrs. Wilson and Armstrong richly deserved to win, please don't detract from their title acheivement by grumbling about this, that or the other.

• Like 3

It would have been nicer to see a couple of up and coming youngsters winning it, rather than two who for various reasons are anything but.

It would have been nicer to see a couple of up and coming youngsters winning it, rather than two who for various reasons are anything but.

Agree, this wasn't in my opinion The NL Pairs per se. Would have gone if the competition took preference. Congratulations to Stoke but as you say, hardly up and coming youngsters. It's disappointing that the league designed to give the young ones an opening is the one suffering.

There not suffering? Plenty of youngsters are getting a chance, if it was purely a training league I wouldn't pay to watch it.

• Like 3

Good to see 2 up & coming young riders win it on a neutral track:-)

Should be good when they join the fast track boys in 2015.

Edited by Crazy robin
  • Like 1

Armstrongs move in one of the races was worthy of any track in the world! and any league.

• Like 2

Messrs. Worrall (23) Carr (17?) Jacobs(21) Shanes(17) Morley(20) and RTD(20) don't count as young or up and coming then? Older riders like Armo, Tony Atkin and Ben Wilson are a benchmark for younger riders to attempt to beat, they play an important part in National League speedway development in my opinion.

• Like 3