British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
screm

Sgp Challenge Final Sat 20th Sept

DON'T think Gollob will be riding next year after his current contract with Torun expires, Sayfutdinov told me he doesn't want a wild card for 2015 (great shame), Iversen will get one, THJ almost certainly unless both Lindgren and Jonsson qualify (highly unlikely), MJJ doubtful because so many Danes will already be there (could be as many as six if they fill the top three in Lonigo and Bjerre gets in the top eight), Hampel probably if he doesn't climb into the top eight, Ward if he isn't banned, Vaculik doesn't seem interested...

Other than being Swedish what has THJ done to 'almost certainly' get a wild card ?

I noticed last night that Kelvin, Nigel & Scott were all talking about Iversen, just like you Philip, as if he is a done deal. No matter how much we believe & would want Iversen & Ward back in I dont think it is that easy

lets suppose Doyle Korneliussen Kildemand & Andersen qualify from the challenge....& Batch Holder Pedersen & Bjerre get in the top 8......................we would then be looking at 10 of the 15 riders being Danish & Aussie by giving Iversen & Ward WC's

it would make it a lineup of

1x Brit
1x American
1x Pole
1x Slovenian
4x Aussies
6x Danes
+1 more WC
+1 meeting WC (including more Danes & Aussies at their GP's)

the remaining wildcard would probably go to a Swede which would then leave them with only 1 swede and 1 Pole...........I cannot see that ever working for BSI

in the end though, as is usually the way, the GP Challenge will probably be helpful for BSI....... Lindgren or Jonsson are more likely than Bjerre to qualify, and Ward will probably be banned/blocked anyway

lets suppose Doyle Korneliussen Kildemand & Andersen qualify from the challenge....

Only the top three qualify from the Challenge final.

• Like 1

I don't suppose this meeting is being shown on tv?.

Thank you for that. Sadly I can only get Eurosport and that only on my pc. Makes watching a 3 hour GP broadcast hard work looking at a small computer screen, and sitting on a hard chair at that. The things we do to watch our sport!.

Other than being Swedish what has THJ done to 'almost certainly' get a wild card ?

Several good performances in his wild card appearances the past couple of years (but still overlooked in favour of Lindgren), a good season in the Swedish league

where his heat average is 1,682, which can be compared with Chris Holder, 1.690 and Emil Sajfutdinov 1,712, Zmarzlik 1.633, Freddie Lindgren 1.608.

Not super fantastic perhaps but IMO THJ have earned himself a wild card and for how many years was Harris awarded a wild card with the sole reason

him being a Brit. But IMO it also depends on if Lindgren and/or Jonsson make it within the top 8.

Edited by Ghostwalker

I can remember World Finals with no or next to no British participation, but they still drew massive gates. But...would 40,000 go to Cardiff if there was no British interest?. I agree each GP should field the top 15 or better still top 16 riders, but in all honesty in the "good old days" there was never a World Final which tracked the World's top 16.

Does it matter where the top 15 come from if there the best available?

No it doesn't. If Nicki and Bjerre qualify top 8 and then Kildmenad and Hans get through the challenge and to a lesser (Mads and Klindt) i still believe Jepsen Jenson should have a wild card..

If some countries only have one then so be it (GB has been like that for years)(the country who out numbered other countries in the early years)

We will have something to moan about if the two italians get through from the challenge.

Now Aj has put himself back into the top 8 scenario, Him and smolinksi have one a GP this year that should mean a good chance of the wild card,reading articles there could be a German grand prix next year they would prefer a Grand prix with two germans in and not one. Speedway GP would love Smolinksi to get through the challenge and save them a wild card headache( He does bring fans with him also)

Roll on next week for the challenge and then we can all start the debate again

I can't argue with that. On a different note---I have been critical in the past of Chris Harris for his inconsistency, particularly at International level. However, his recent league scores have been top-drawer so I would like to wish him good luck in the GP Challenge next week.

Granted Harris has improved in the Elite League, but at Grand Prix level he is frankly awful, to the extent that he's barely ahead of riders who have ridden in less than half the rounds he has. Whilst I would never wish a rider bad fortune, I hope the real Harris turns up at the Grand Prix Challenge and he fails to qualify. The thought of him plodding around for another year, when you have so many exciting, world class riders around, doesn't bear thinking about really.

JT.

• Like 1

There is going to be some disappointed riders it's going to be all dependent on the GP challenge result.

Personally I would like. Janusz K, THJ and Kildemand qualify from the challenge and for the picks to be Iversen 100% banker, Smolinski for the variety and entertainment, he has brought much to the series off the track purely from being German and unconventional. He is not a plastic clone that some of the other riders are. Then the 3rd it's a difficult one with it being one of the 3 I mentioned as my challenge picks if they fail to qualify because someone like Andersen (my dark horse) who is great at Lonigo does.

Personally I would be refreshing the line up by removing Lindgren / Jonsson and Bjerre if not top 8, Hampel and Harris. Although for commercial reasons I could see AJ being picked ahead of THJ.

Edited by J_D

hope Kildemand gets through as his riding has improved so much last night was no flash in the pan form.Exciting and entertaining just what is needed,Aj,Chris Harris and "slow" Freddie are just not doing enough in GP 's.

September 20th.

Ballot N° Rider FMN Country

1 Chris Harris ACU Great Britain

2 Kenneth Bjerre DMU Denmark

3 (Wild Card) Nicolas Covatti FMI Italy

4. Cameron Woodward MA Australia

5 Hans Andersen DMU Denmark

6 Linus Sundstrom SVEMO Sweden

7 Maciej Janowski PZM Poland

8 Mads Korneliussen DMU Denmark

9 Matej Zagar AMZS Slovenia

10 Janusz Kolodziej PZMPoland