British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
screm

Sgp Challenge Final Sat 20th Sept

Harris has not "earned his place on merit".

Fact _ he did not "earn his place on merit" for the SGP Challenge on merit so he did not earn any place on merit.

Fact _ he squeaked it in to the Challenge by default but made the best of that.

To his congratulators do any of you seriously think he'll qualify for the top 8 by the end of 2015?

Tai Woffinden didn't earn his place on merit when he was given a pick for 2013 and looked what happened there. Harris did get to the challenge on merit, what are they supposed to do when a rider is injured? Leave the position blank? He was next in line and took advantage. Look at the so called better riders who everyone claims are more deserving, they couldn't beat him! He got his place fair and square.

• Like 8

Eveyone knows there are likely to be a couple of riders drop out of the challenge so you cant begrudge harris his chance. He deserved it and took the opportunity.

• Like 2

My, my! Fair play to Harris, but let's bypass the sycophancy and admit it, he's pretty poor at GP level (even worse, cringe worthy this season) and his qualification and continued involvement in the series, isn't exactly what th e GP's need. I think I give up on trying to predict speedway....

JT.

Edited by JT
  • Like 1

My, my! Fair play to Harris, but let's bypass the sycophancy and admit it, he's totally abysmal at GP level (more than that, cringe worthy this season) and his qualification is an utter disaster for the series. I think I give up on Speedway.

JT.

You give up on speedway because Chris Harris qualified from the GP Challenge? Bit of a drastic decision that, isn't it?

Hampel maybe but Ward should be a definite NO!!!

Darcy should be made to qualify, might make him appreciate his spot a bit more. I hope Magic's qualification means no wc for Hampel, one of the dullest riders on the circuit IMO.

Edited by Gordon Bennett
  • Like 3

I know in the old one off final days, that the competition could be brutal and unfair riders often being unlucky and eliminated.Now by Harris qualifying does it show that this system is not bullet proof? no way is he in the top 16 riders in the world.I always thought this GP series were for the best 16 riders in the world even Covatti could of qualified tonight in the old days he would of had to have five good nights to qualify.Harris i like and enjoy watching him ride,and fair play to him he took his chance but would the series not be better off with a Laguta, Kildemand,or both Pawlicki brothers as examples it shows though after all these years the system is still not really FAIR.

• Like 1

You give up on speedway because Chris Harris qualified from the GP Challenge? Bit of a drastic decision that, isn't it?

Never post after a heavy night out! I've edited my original post in the cold light of day.

Aside from being a mobile advertising hording, I just can't see what Harris gets out of the Grand Prix series anymore. But as someone else pointed out, perhaps he really is the modern day Andy Smith.

Either way, congrats to the bloke. If his talent matched his determination, he'd be challenging for the title...

JT.

I know in the old one off final days, that the competition could be brutal and unfair riders often being unlucky and eliminated.Now by Harris qualifying does it show that this system is not bullet proof? no way is he in the top 16 riders in the world.I always thought this GP series were for the best 16 riders in the world even Covatti could of qualified tonight in the old days he would of had to have five good nights to qualify.Harris i like and enjoy watching him ride,and fair play to him he took his chance but would the series not be better off with a Laguta, Kildemand,or both Pawlicki brothers as examples it shows though after all these years the system is still not really FAIR.

Sid, all of those mentioned had exactly the same chance to qualify as Harris.... Maybe they wernt good enough??... If they are though, I'm sure they will get a wildcard.

Qualifying started back in early June, so hardly a one off....

• Like 1

your post makes no sense! In one breath you say riders need to qualify then in the next say riders like Kildemand and Pawlicki should be there. They had there chances and didnt take it. Harris did by QUALIFYING! What do you want the system to be 8 wild cards? Could be interesting for Poole next year with Magic in there. Doubt the elite league will be top of his agenda
  • Like 2

Was going to say something similar re Magic, we had commitment issues with him in 2012 when he was competing in the U21s and twelve GP's along with Poland, Sweden and the UK leagues next year will be a big work load. Would benefit from any squad system being implemented.

One swallow does not make a summer.

I look forward to his usual form returning in the 2015 GP series. He just makes each GP so entertaining to watch!

I'm not suggesting it does, but isn't one swallow, is it? He made it through three qualifying rounds, when other - according to you no doubt - more deserving riders did not. I wonder why that would be?

And why "look forward" to someone failing. How thoroughly unpleasant. Perhaps he will give up his place, just to appease you.

• Like 2

Is there a rule book ruling as to what happens with Zagars replacement

He won the challenge, and likely to be in the top 8 in the gp. So who, according to the rule book, replaces him.... no 4 in the challenge or no 9 in the gp?

Is there a rule book ruling as to what happens with Zagars replacement

He won the challenge, and likely to be in the top 8 in the gp. So who, according to the rule book, replaces him.... no 4 in the challenge or no 9 in the gp?

Number 4 in the qualifier

Harris has not "earned his place on merit".

Fact _ he did not "earn his place on merit" for the SGP Challenge on merit so he did not earn any place on merit.

Fact _ he squeaked it in to the Challenge by default but made the best of that.

To his congratulators do any of you seriously think he'll qualify for the top 8 by the end of 2015?

default?? So it's his fault others are either injured or banned??... He was next in line being a reserve, that's what reserves are for surely?? How is that default??

Well Done, Bomber!

The Challenge is an extremely difficult meeting and over the years has caught out many top-notch riders, including some of our most popular National heroes (I'm thinking of Mark Loram here). Bomber himself has had his share of falling at this hurdle, too. Kildemand and others are now finding it tough, despite their other successes. And I seem to recall that Darcy Ward had to be given a wild card for 2014 after not making it through the 2013 Challenge?

Yes, a while ago Andy Smith was a master of it, perhaps proving that experience is a most important element.

Congratulations too to Jason Doyle, a useful addition to the GPs for 2015.

• Like 3