British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
screm

Sgp Challenge Final Sat 20th Sept

Bomber will likely finish bottom of the pile again as his SGP preparation is obviously hopeless.

But he earned the right to try again if he wants to.

I for one can't see the point for him as he does himself and his sponsors no favours by being lamentable.

But like the other two qualifiers he deserves his place and good luck to all three.

• Like 1

If he had any sense of pride he wouldn't have accepted a 2014 place to start with.

Congratulations. He had a very good meeting when it really counted, but make no mistake, next year will mark the continuation of the "standard Harris GP" form all over again, and again, and again... total embarrassment.

how is it ' total embarrassment ' to be mixing it with the worlds best?? In F1 for example there are only a handful of that ever win, but doesn't mean the others shouldn't be there...Christ if he was getting lapped fair enough, but he isn't, just because he doesn't win or is always near the bottom of the pile doesn't mean he's an embarrassment?? It's an achievement surely??
  • Like 1

I read somewhere that the lower places are determined by count back if they finish level so your first sentence looks correct.

As for 3 substitutes I think they only have 1 now which is Jepsen JENSEN at the moment and will be THJ next year.

Cant do countback with similar scores and riders winning each other in rotation. It's a runoff or ballot.

Current rulebook says three substitutes. MJJ was and is 3rd on subs list for 2014. Batch and another (Harris?) were before him but were taken in to the series after Gollob and Emil withdrew.

Yes by default.

So you think he'll finish in the top 8 next season do you?

He was given a chance and he grabbed it. That's what sportsmen and women do. Will he finish top 8? Not on this seasons GP showing, but 18 month ago if asked if Tai would have been World Champion I would have said the same. Anything is possible.

Harris was given a chance for 2015, he grabbed it. Good luck to him.

Shame on the negative people.

Edited by TheReturn
  • Like 1

Like it or not, Harris chose to go through the qualifier route, and made to next years GP series. All credit to him.

• Like 3

If he had any sense of pride he wouldn't have accepted a 2014 place to start with.

Congratulations. He had a very good meeting when it really counted, but make no mistake, next year will mark the continuation of the "standard Harris GP" form all over again, and again, and again... total embarrassment.

And you know that do you? Get over yourself. As was posted ealier on this page, there was no one else better because he qualified and your "pets" didn't. Qualifying to compete on the highest stage your sport can offer it's not embarrassment it's an achievement and only idiots like you can't see that. Whether he finishes first or last next year matters not. There is a qualification system in place and other much fancied riders couldn't hack it and get through, whereas he did.

• Like 2

I know in the old one off final days, that the competition could be brutal and unfair riders often being unlucky and eliminated.Now by Harris qualifying does it show that this system is not bullet proof? no way is he in the top 16 riders in the world.I always thought this GP series were for the best 16 riders in the world even Covatti could of qualified tonight in the old days he would of had to have five good nights to qualify.Harris i like and enjoy watching him ride,and fair play to him he took his chance but would the series not be better off with a Laguta, Kildemand,or both Pawlicki brothers as examples it shows though after all these years the system is still not really FAIR.

Don't be ridiculous,it was a "freak" set of circumstances,the guy wasn't expected to do what he did,pull off an incredible ride like that.Fair play too him though!

I guess it's up to the new faces to kick the old ones out. Disappointing if you like a change but that's hardly Harris's fault. They had their chance and didn't take it.

• Like 1

Official results sheet from Lonigo states that 5th THJ, 6th Pawlicki and 7th Covatti have been balloted.

Now until someone explains me otherwise, I say that an error has been made. There should have been a runoff between the three to decide riders fininshing 5th and 6th to make for the three substitutes under the current rules for 2015. With Janowski being 1st substitute as it stands.

Dont even mention Zagar, it's irrevelant AT THIS stage. ;)

It's no different to Smoli being first reserve last year and not Harris. They had no run-off.

BUT they messed up the year before, they used the run-off for 2nd to 6th to also be used for the reserve places, incorrectly.

As for Harris being "embarrassing - whats embarrassing, is that despite the fact he's "crap" in the GP, nobody was able to take his place last night. How embarrassing must it be to be for the 100s, if not 1000s of riders who failed to qualify for next seasons GP if Harris is so poor? :D Losers!!

Edited by SCB

Cant do countback with similar scores and riders winning each other in rotation. It's a runoff or ballot.

Current rulebook says three substitutes. MJJ was and is 3rd on subs list for 2014. Batch and another (Harris?) were before him but were taken in to the series after Gollob and Emil withdrew.

That explains why I thought MJJ was the only substitute but the FIM regs say

077.3.4 Nominated Substitute riders

In case of the absence of one or more riders, the first available Nominated Substitute rider or riders, according to their placing in the official Grand Prix “Nominated Substitute Riders list”, will be elevated for that meeting, and take the place of the relevant missing rider or riders.

The riders for the official “Nominated Substitute Riders list” will be nominated by the SGP Commission and the SGP Promoter.

It's no different to Smoli being first reserve last year and not Harris. They had no run-off.

It is.

2013 Challenge in Poole had Smoli 4th with (32032) 10 and Harris 5th with (23122) 10. No need for run off, Smoli wins on countback with more heat wins. And Batch became 3rd substitue with 9 points only.

Having written that, I sort of get what you are after. But the situation is different this time, as we have 3 riders tied, no chance to decide via countback and only two substitute places up for grabs.

Im sure people either must be thick or trolling on here sometimes.

Chris Harris has been fortunate to be in the grand prix the last few years .......Fact

Chris Haris this year has been a disaster in the grand prix..............FACT

Next season he will struggle again.....................i think Fact but its opinion lol.

But the biggest Fact that some idiots cant get is THIS YEAR HE HAS QUALIFIED ON MERIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He was reserve for the challenge someone wasnt riding he gets in the meeting. THAT IS HOW RESERVE SYSTEM WORKS!!!

In the challenge he ties on points with the ONLY OTHER RIDER in the grand prix already. Does that not tell you the best are already in the gp's

The other rider Doyle (and huge congrats to him by the way) was only beaten by the 2 gp boys.

people saying we need Kildemand and Pawlicki well they were in the meeting and didnt do what Harris did.

I remember in 1998 grand Prix challenge Henka and Smith qualified and Loram didnt. Its what happens.

By all means say that Harris isnt up to it and may struggle but to say he didnt deserve to qualify is either thick, ignorant or trolling

Not thick or trolling or ignorant how can you be trolling when you express your opinion?Harris i like as i have said and he deserved to qualify and i hope he does well in the series.My take on it Kildemand was unlucky he has been a breath of fresh air in the series and is well in the mix at that level.My main point is i always the thought the series would always be the top sixteen riders in the world it is not! The main criticism of the old one off finals were that half the field were no hopers, the series is in great shape maybe the new blood and qualifying could be tweaked anyway is there any chance Kildemand might get another chance in 2015.?
  • Like 1

Not thick or trolling or ignorant how can you be trolling when you express your opinion?Harris i like as i have said and he deserved to qualify and i hope he does well in the series.My take on it Kildemand was unlucky he has been a breath of fresh air in the series and is well in the mix at that level.My main point is i always the thought the series would always be the top sixteen riders in the world it is not! The main criticism of the old one off finals were that half the field were no hopers, the series is in great shape maybe the new blood and qualifying could be tweaked anyway is there any chance Kildemand might get another chance in 2015.?

Well Peter is likely to get a Wildcard I woud say

you will never get the top 16 in the world unless you choose them. Most people would agree on the top 10 but opinions will be divided on the others. I agree that Kildemand MJJ and some others are better riders than Harris but they had the same opportunity as he did and didn't take it. So unless we seed the top 10 and pick the rest you will always get a few riders who get through that you don't expect. It's still fairer than the one offs when you had 5 riders from the eastern block who had mainly no chance. Adorjan, Tihayni, Kocso just a few I remember

It's still fairer than the one offs when you had 5 riders from the eastern block who had mainly no chance. Adorjan, Tihayni, Kocso just a few I remember

Not only that but there was almost always the odd rider from GB, Oz, NZ etc who were surprise finalists as well but got there on merit by getting through the qualifying rounds. Geoff Mardon made it to reserve when he was a third division rider. Jack Young made it when he was a second division rider (I can't remember how he did that night!) and, more in my time I remember the sensation when Bryan Elliott, a Leicester reserve, qualified. It was all felt to be the "romance" of the world championship in those days and the riders in question were congratulated for riding above themselves not villified for having the temerity to qualify when they shouldn't have done!...

Edited by norbold
  • Like 2