British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aaron Reuben Smith

Ftr Heat 9

I've started this thread to voice my opinion on something I witnessed at King's Lynn yesterday evening and something I know has happened for other clubs this season. Last night Morris for Wolves got injured in his second ride and as a result there was only one Wolves rider in heat 9. I will admit that this is only my second season as a speedway fan so I'm not entirely sure of the history or rulings surrounding this topic, however, even as a Lynn fan, I feel Wolves should have had the option for their 2 or 4 to replace Morris in heat 9 ensuring a fairer 4 rider race. I know there was one meeting recently (although I can't remember which) where there were two riders in heat 9 due to injury so surely a second string replacement option for a withdrawal would make for more exciting racing and help the development of the FTRs?

I've started this thread to voice my opinion on something I witnessed at King's Lynn yesterday evening and something I know has happened for other clubs this season. Last night Morris for Wolves got injured in his second ride and as a result there was only one Wolves rider in heat 9. I will admit that this is only my second season as a speedway fan so I'm not entirely sure of the history or rulings surrounding this topic, however, even as a Lynn fan, I feel Wolves should have had the option for their 2 or 4 to replace Morris in heat 9 ensuring a fairer 4 rider race. I know there was one meeting recently (although I can't remember which) where there were two riders in heat 9 due to injury so surely a second string replacement option for a withdrawal would make for more exciting racing and help the development of the FTRs?

think you can tell it's only your second season reserves races are just that for 6/7 only Edited by Haza

Understand your view point , and Yes, it would be better for all concerned, to see 4 riders in each race. But like Haza pointed out reserve races are solely for reserves.

If, as you suggest, say 2nd strings, were allowed to have a replacement ride, then that would be seen as a tactical card the Team Manager could play whenever he wanted and the 'Reserve only' race would disappear completely.

Thankfully these 3 horse races don't happen that often.... :t:

• Like 3

It is more a problem with the new race card. In previous seasons we have only had one reserve race (heat 2). Now that there are 2, reserves being reserves more often than not you will find by heat 9 one or more has already been withdrawn from the meeting.

It was better when we had the old heat 8, when 2 and 7 for each team raced. Have that one and throw in a heat for the 4 and 6's. That would help alleviate the problem.....

Might be an idea to have a junior at the track on standby for this kind of situation who can step in for heat nine for either team should an injury occur. An 'on call' number eight if you will.

• Like 5

I didn't ask to be belittled. I'll make my point simpler. If in heat 9 one of the reserves has had to withdraw during the meeting due to an injury then why shouldn't there be a facility for a replacement? I understand that it's due to the new format which is why I suggested that perhaps 2 or 3 rider reserve races aren't that competitive. Just an opinion

• Like 1

If you're going to have two reserve races, the logical solution is for teams to take up the option of naming a number 8 and ensure a junior is present, which will at the very least ensure that there are 4 riders in the second reserves race.

• Like 6

If you're going to have two reserve races, the logical solution is for teams to take up the option of naming a number 8 and ensure a junior is present, which will at the very least ensure that there are 4 riders in the second reserves race.

Sounds sensible. The only flaw being that the draft rider system was introduced to save money, no matter how much the BSPA insist it's to help young Brits. On that basis they're hardly likely to increase costs by having a #8 unfortunately.

Sounds sensible. The only flaw being that the draft rider system was introduced to save money, no matter how much the BSPA insist it's to help young Brits. On that basis they're hardly likely to increase costs by having a #8 unfortunately.

Are you not a fan of the draft system?!?

2nd halves are quite common nowadays with the development league etc and there are also usually young lads doing a practice lap or two at the end of the meeting. Don't see why one of these riders couldn't be used as a number 8 to cover EITHER team in the event of a 'ht 9' like last night.

Although the idea of No's 2 and 4 covering withdrawn reserves looks good on paper, it would open things up to cynical manipulation which let's face it happens rather too much in our sport as it is.

That would make sense, but it will never happen as no rider will want to take time off work , college or whatever to turn up as a non riding number 8 without some sort of guaranteed payment to be there so it will end up costing the club more when the only reason to have 2 reserve races is to save money in the first place

I feel 2 races with Ressies v Ressies is one too many. Heat 2 is enough. By all means give the 6 & 7 4 rides ( or 8 in total), but it does need shuffling about somewhat. The race format does need a spot of fine tuning.

Thankfully these 3 horse races don't happen that often.... :t:

Out of 6 meetings at Swindon we've had one ht9 with three riders and one with only two.

Therefore over 30% - which I'd say is very high.

• Like 2

Are you not a fan of the draft system?!?

2nd halves are quite common nowadays with the development league etc and there are also usually young lads doing a practice lap or two at the end of the meeting. Don't see why one of these riders couldn't be used as a number 8 to cover EITHER team in the event of a 'ht 9' like last night.

Although the idea of No's 2 and 4 covering withdrawn reserves looks good on paper, it would open things up to cynical manipulation which let's face it happens rather too much in our sport as it is.

I am a fan of the draft system. With a few tweaks next season it'll be even better. What I'm not a fan of are people/organisations in all walks of life, in this instance the BSPA, who try to pass something off as helping others when it is obviously done in self interest.

For example, Tesco introducing self service checkouts 'to enhance the customer experience'. Gollox, it's so you can save money by losing checkout operators off the payroll. Common sense are 2 words that have almost disappeared out of the English language, honesty is well on the way to being another.

• Like 1

It is more a problem with the new race card. In previous seasons we have only had one reserve race (heat 2). Now that there are 2, reserves being reserves more often than not you will find by heat 9 one or more has already been withdrawn from the meeting..

Utter codswallop!

There have been 73 EL meetings so far and there has not been 37 where heat 9 has not involved 4 riders.

So no way ' more often than not ' as you put it.

I dont have the number that has but I would hazard an educated guess at around 7 - less than 10%.