British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
orderly

Fast Track Riders

Forgive me for being an ignorant plonker but I am confused the about the “fast track reserves” in the elite league, the way it was explained to me was that

1. Each Elite League team would choose a reserve from two lists of selected riders
  2. That these riders would then remain at reserve for their team for the duration of the season
  3. That each fast track reserve would be guaranteed his team place unless unable to ride through injury

It seems to me that a good few reserves have been dropped Tom Perry & Lee Smart have already suffered this, I take on board that Lee has now retired from the sport but this was hastened by the fact he was dropped by Poole and Tom Perry was absent through injury and now he has been dropped by Leicester and Ben Reads retirement was brought on by him being released by Belle Vue.

Surely it is hypercritical of these clubs to promise these lads the opportunity to improve their game then get rid of them within a few weeks , what damage has this done to the confidence of some of the other reserves

Surely it is hypercritical of these clubs to promise these lads the opportunity to improve their game then get rid of them within a few weeks , what damage has this done to the confidence of some of the other reserves

Who said that "professional" sport is fair?

are you a Stars fan, if I was I would have the same opinion as you.

• Like 1

No particular team just a general speedway fan advancing in years

Forgive me for being an ignorant plonker but I am confused the about the fast track reserves in the elite league, the way it was explained to me was that

• Each Elite League team would choose a reserve from two lists of selected riders
  • That these riders would then remain at reserve for their team for the duration of the season
  • That each fast track reserve would be guaranteed his team place unless unable to ride through injury
It seems to me that a good few reserves have been dropped Tom Perry & Lee Smart have already suffered this, I take on board that Lee has now retired from the sport but this was hastened by the fact he was dropped by Poole and Tom Perry was absent through injury and now he has been dropped by Leicester and Ben Reads retirement was brought on by him being released by Belle Vue.

Who explained point three to you? I haven't seen this stated anywhere .
  • Like 1

The fast track system is ridiculous, the Elite League is not the place for them. You cannot have "trainees" in a professional sport, especially when their results can make or break a team. It's nonsense and is no wonder British speedway is heading down the tubes.

• Like 2

The fast track system is ridiculous, the Elite League is not the place for them. You cannot have "trainees" in a professional sport, especially when their results can make or break a team. It's nonsense and is no wonder British speedway is heading down the tubes.

Wrong, the likes of Lewis Kerr and a few more notables are a perfect example of why it has been an excellent idea.

The only point i would agree is the poor execution of the draft. The NL standard riders really should be making their progress in the PL first.

But besides a few exemptions of riders struggling it has been largely a success so far.

Wrong, the likes of Lewis Kerr and a few more notables are a perfect example of why it has been an excellent idea.

The only point i would agree is the poor execution of the draft. The NL standard riders really should be making their progress in the PL first.

But besides a few exemptions of riders struggling it has been largely a success so far.

A couple of EL teams tried to sign Lewis Kerr last season. So the draft has done nothing for him - he'd have a team place without it.

How can it be progressing young riders. There are more riders above the age of 24 in the the fast track riders scheme. Some of these have been plodding along in the NL and PL league for years a few others have already been riding at reserve in the EL befor the fat tack started. It would have made far more sense to have set an upper age limit on the fast track, because if these guys have been riding in the PL for years have not come to the notice of the EL league teams, then they could not have been good enough in the first place to ride in the top league. To me it would have made more sense to have given young riders who have an upper age of 21 to try and bring them on in the sport. Rather than the ones who have been around for quite a few years now and have gone to no greater things than riding in the PL.

Where do they go after this year, you have to either give them a place in the main team or forget about them. Because if they are not going to get any better than a reserve placing, then to me it somehow defeats the objects of what they are trying to do.

I would rather see 17 to 21 year old given the chance than these lads that have been hanging in the wings of British speedway for years.

Nothing against them but I just can't see them getting any better now, where some of the young lads could surely learn a great deal from the top flight speedway riders in the teams. That is if they have the time to spare to talk to them about setup and lines etc.

• Like 2

A couple of EL teams tried to sign Lewis Kerr last season. So the draft has done nothing for him - he'd have a team place without it.

Of course the draft has done something for him. There is no certainty he would have had an EL spot without it.

• Like 1

Of course the draft has done something for him. There is no certainty he would have had an EL spot without it.

Not sure if his protected Elite Lge races are as beneficial as the tougher rides he faces in the Prem Lge though...

How can it be progressing young riders. There are more riders above the age of 24 in the the fast track riders scheme.

WRONG. There are 6 riders 24 or above from the 30 eligible (not the guests).

Blackbird, Lambert, Compton, Mallett, Halsey, Payne.

That makes 18 below 24.

So clearly is the right thing.

Not sure if his protected Elite Lge races are as beneficial as the tougher rides he faces in the Prem Lge though...

I agree there is some question to that. However he is regularly beating EL standard second strings in the EL so has already proved his worth and ability so far.

• Like 1

If there is to be a restriction it makes more sense for it to be based on racing experience rather than age. Why should someone with very little experience like Lee Payne be excluded simply because he took up the sport later in life than others.

• Like 4

If there is to be a restriction it makes more sense for it to be based on racing experience rather than age. Why should someone with very little experience like Lee Payne be excluded simply because he took up the sport later in life than others.

Lee Payne fines. But Lee Smart, Simon Lambert, Darren Mallett and Benji Compton are all a bit of a mick take.

Lee Payne fines. But Lee Smart, Simon Lambert, Darren Mallett and Benji Compton are all a bit of a mick take.

It is these riders should have either been offered a team place or none at all