British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
orderly

Fast Track Riders

Wrong, the likes of Lewis Kerr and a few more notables are a perfect example of why it has been an excellent idea.

The only point i would agree is the poor execution of the draft. The NL standard riders really should be making their progress in the PL first.

But besides a few exemptions of riders struggling it has been largely a success so far.

There's nothing wrong about it, it's an opinion. I know you would rather everybody back down and adhere strictly to your will but unfortunately that's not how debate or opinon works.

The draft system is a terrible idea. The notion that it has been created to help British riders is a fallacy manufactured to illude fans into thinking they're getting value for their money in an era of corner cutting and desperate money saving. You are being conned.

You cannot call Elite League speedway a competitive sport (define competition: the activity or condition of striving to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others) when the outcome is decided by trainees who aren't fit to compete at that level and of which their inclusion is mandatory regardless of their ability to perform.

We are now left with a majority of teams who are unable to match the performance of the league leaders as their ability to make tactical changes at reserve level have been been stripped from them.

Unfortunately Lewis Kerr, and the "few more" you mention were certainly not worth the irreparable damage this farce has inflicted upon the sport.

• Like 3

There's nothing wrong about it, it's an opinion. I know you would rather everybody back down and adhere strictly to your will but unfortunately that's not how debate or opinon works.

The draft system is a terrible idea. The notion that it has been created to help British riders is a fallacy manufactured to illude fans into thinking they're getting value for their money in an era of corner cutting and desperate money saving. You are being conned.

You cannot call Elite League speedway a competitive sport (define competition: the activity or condition of striving to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others) when the outcome is decided by trainees who aren't fit to compete at that level and of which their inclusion is mandatory regardless of their ability to perform.

We are now left with a majority of teams who are unable to match the performance of the league leaders as their ability to make tactical changes at reserve level have been been stripped from them.

Unfortunately Lewis Kerr, and the "few more" you mention were certainly not worth the irreparable damage this farce has inflicted upon the sport.

In your `opinion` it is a terrible idea. Many of us don't share that so best accept that also. And your belief that EL supporters like me are being conned.

NOT SO.

I am fully aware of the `reasons` why the draft system is in place and their is no one more passionate that wants a `strong` EL back again.

However i`m a realist as 1. top riders want LESS meetings not more 2. Top riders want same night racing not many nights in EL 3. Top riders would appear happy to `job share` so that could sign for a set amount of meetings 4. Top riders and new talented riders don't feel or see a need to come to the UK anymore, some will and still do but in recent seasons gone by most of the best or better riders would at least have a season or 2 in the UK.

The majority of EL fans i have spoken to are in favour of the Draft system. Most of the SKY matches i have watched and also meetings i`ve attended have been greatly enhanced by the `reserves`. To ignore that fact is blinkered IMHO.

Plenty of us have been calling out for authorities to do something for the future of its own riders. Now they have despite it being several seasons to late to make any serious impact for several seasons still.

Call me conned if you want. But i would rather watch the next generation fighting for points in their heats than the likes of over payed reserves like the Dryml`s looking like they couldn't care less.

We have cut out the rubbish that has used our leagues and taken out good money and has been replaced with something that actually wants to try entertain us.

That has to be a good thing.

• Like 4

And this is different from the Swedish Elite League forcing two nationals on their teams seemingly irrespective of ability because?

Edited by HadrianDog

In your `opinion` it is a terrible idea. Many of us don't share that so best accept that also. And your belief that EL supporters like me are being conned.

NOT SO.

I am fully aware of the `reasons` why the draft system is in place and their is no one more passionate that wants a `strong` EL back again.

However i`m a realist as 1. top riders want LESS meetings not more 2. Top riders want same night racing not many nights in EL 3. Top riders would appear happy to `job share` so that could sign for a set amount of meetings 4. Top riders and new talented riders don't feel or see a need to come to the UK anymore, some will and still do but in recent seasons gone by most of the best or better riders would at least have a season or 2 in the UK.

The majority of EL fans i have spoken to are in favour of the Draft system. Most of the SKY matches i have watched and also meetings i`ve attended have been greatly enhanced by the `reserves`. To ignore that fact is blinkered IMHO.

Plenty of us have been calling out for authorities to do something for the future of its own riders. Now they have despite it being several seasons to late to make any serious impact for several seasons still.

Call me conned if you want. But i would rather watch the next generation fighting for points in their heats than the likes of over payed reserves like the Dryml`s looking like they couldn't care less.

We have cut out the rubbish that has used our leagues and taken out good money and has been replaced with something that actually wants to try entertain us.

That has to be a good thing.

Nonsense. Let's host an opinion poll and see what the fans really think?

To think the league will ever go back to being strong after this shambles is blinkered. Draft riders will stay until British Speedway's ugly demise in the not too distant future. There will never be a strong league in Britain again. Sorry to disappoint you

• Like 1

Nonsense. Let's host an opinion poll and see what the fans really think?

To think the league will ever go back to being strong after this shambles is blinkered. Draft riders will stay until British Speedway's ugly demise in the not too distant future. There will never be a strong league in Britain again. Sorry to disappoint you

Feel free to. The vast majority of posts i`ve read and people i have spoken to this season feel it adds to the league. Its nonsense to ignore that opinion.

You appear to have failed to read my message properly. I didn't say the league will ever be strong again, in fact i gave reasons why it wont be. You highlighted one part but ignored the reasons why i said it wouldn't happen again.. I will take that as an error on your part. I am already sad the EL is a much watered down product but at least we still have some of the top riders in the World here.

By the way we will STILL be having this debate about the demise of British Speedway in many years to come.

It will be the usual moaners who want to knock our top league year in year out.

• Like 1

I think the fast track is a brilliant idea personally and highlights which clubs have worked hard over the years to develop young riders. I think it's fantastic!!

(Slightly biased Stars fan)

• Like 4

Feel free to. The vast majority of posts i`ve read and people i have spoken to this season feel it adds to the league. Its nonsense to ignore that opinion.

You appear to have failed to read my message properly. I didn't say the league will ever be strong again, in fact i gave reasons why it wont be. You highlighted one part but ignored the reasons why i said it wouldn't happen again.. I will take that as an error on your part. I am already sad the EL is a much watered down product but at least we still have some of the top riders in the World here.

By the way we will STILL be having this debate about the demise of British Speedway in many years to come.

It will be the usual moaners who want to knock our top league year in year out.

If the product continues to be watered down, as you mentioned, then there cannot possibly be many years to come.

It add's to the league for a very small few, whilst damaging the league for the vast majority. I love speedway but I have not paid to go attend a single match this year. I know I am not the only fan who feels this way. And before somebody kicks off, I am not any less of a fan by not attending matches this season, I am not paying an expensive entry fee to attend a sport that I have watched get worse and worse every year whilst the ticket prices continue to rise.

I am not talking about a forum of obsessed fans, I am talking about real people I have spoken to in the real world. Unfortunately the overwhelming opinion is that people are no longer happy to pay to watch sport of this standard. Next time you go to speedway take a look at the crowd. The vast majority of attendees are of an older generation.

A poor product, getting worse and worse in quality, getting more and more expensive, losing more and more customers and failing to make any impact whatsoever on the younger generation is a recipe for disaster. Many clubs are already on or past the brink of viability and will simply be unable to continue and developing a handful of substandard British riders to elite league second string level isn't going to change that.

• Like 5

Jason Garrity (Coventry fast track rider) had a fantastic night in the British Final last night including a thrilling win over Tai Woffinden. He is probably the best example of what these guys are capable of, with a bit of experience riding in the Elite League.

There are other examples - I have seen Ben Morley ride for the Kent Kings and for Lakeside against the Bees and I have been very impressed with him at both levels. It is quite interesting seeing these young riders in both scenarios. Another example is Stefan Nielsen for Belle Vue and the Coventry Storm.

I for one like the idea of these young British riders getting Elite League experience.

The usual moaners will say that the Draft isn't working or demeaning the League.

Back in the real World it is working and might yet be its saviour.

The usual moaners will say that the Draft isn't working or demeaning the League.

Its a shame Jason will never get the chance to beat Tai and the other top guys in league racing..

• Like 1

I think the way that Jason Garrity is going he will be signed up by an EL side in thier main team he has come on a lot this year. Give him and a few of the others a chance I don't mean the ones who have been hanging around the PL and EL for a few years now. But lads that are starting out in the game and you will see some class riders taking thier place in our EL. If he rides as well as he did last night he will be beeting far more riders than just Tai.

I'm loving the fast track as get to see Garrity most weeks with Coventry.

Hoping we can sign him again next season as a d/u rider

• Like 1

The only fair way and the best way to give the riders the most experience is to do again next year what happened this year. That is for assets to be assigned to the clubs that own them and then for the bottom club to have first pick and then the next to the bottom and so on. It would be wrong for Coventry or any other club to be able to retain riders and thereby continue to have an advantage, simply because they finished bottom in 2013.

The whole system of selection for the FTR needs to be reviewed, hopefully with a more even selection of riders being available.

As I have said before, most I speak to think the system is a success. I find it difficult to know how anyone who has not attended any meetings can express a valid opinion on the entertainment that had been provided.

Edited by Aces51

You must be joking. Throwing a few novices / amateurs at the big league will be its saviour! In my opinion it's a lost opportunity. You often compare the structure to Sweden - many of their required Swedish reserves have been EL/PL heat leaders. That's what we need, all teams must include Brit reserves, irrelevant of. But back in the real world.....

• Like 1

If the product continues to be watered down, as you mentioned, then there cannot possibly be many years to come.

It add's to the league for a very small few, whilst damaging the league for the vast majority. I love speedway but I have not paid to go attend a single match this year. I know I am not the only fan who feels this way. And before somebody kicks off, I am not any less of a fan by not attending matches this season, I am not paying an expensive entry fee to attend a sport that I have watched get worse and worse every year whilst the ticket prices continue to rise.

I am not talking about a forum of obsessed fans, I am talking about real people I have spoken to in the real world. Unfortunately the overwhelming opinion is that people are no longer happy to pay to watch sport of this standard. Next time you go to speedway take a look at the crowd. The vast majority of attendees are of an older generation.

A poor product, getting worse and worse in quality, getting more and more expensive, losing more and more customers and failing to make any impact whatsoever on the younger generation is a recipe for disaster. Many clubs are already on or past the brink of viability and will simply be unable to continue and developing a handful of substandard British riders to elite league second string level isn't going to change that.

Obviously there are fans lost to the sport because its watering down but what is the option? If riders wont come and commit a full season then its always going to be a struggle maintaining any high level or standard. Unfortunately we are so far down the pecking order these days we aren't an automatic choice for foreign riders to come to anymore.

Maybe we seriously need same one day EL racing as they do in Poland/Sweden et al.

We still have a league containing some of the best riders in World. I cant see a day that will end any time soon. Despite the bleak picture you and others might paint. Like i have said many see the benefit of the draft system and actually enjoy the racing more because of it.

They certainly aren't wrong and nor am i.

Some choose not to pay for what they see as `sub standard` EL product. That is also there choice.

You must be joking. Throwing a few novices / amateurs at the big league will be its saviour! In my opinion it's a lost opportunity. You often compare the structure to Sweden - many of their required Swedish reserves have been EL/PL heat leaders. That's what we need, all teams must include Brit reserves, irrelevant of. But back in the real world.....

Do i?? But yes i agree that its OK for Sweden so its OK for us. :t:

• Like 1