British Speedway Forum
Skid Sprocket

Smythe's Speedway World

Almost everyone knows of the world famous cartoon character Andy Capp created in

1957 by Reg Smythe and still going strong today. What I have yet to find is anyone who

has heard of a speedway cartoon strip created by Reg at the start of his cartooning

career many of which feature a character called Skid Sprocket.

I came across a rare booklet of these strips and set about finding the copyright owner

with a view to doing a reprint. To cut a long story short I managed to contact the family

of the late Reg Smythe and they gave their full backing to my resurrecting Skid and

friends. The booklet shows speedway in the early 1950's and is interesting from a

historic point of view but many of the jokes are relevant to today's speedway as well as being

very amusing in their own right.

With the help of a graphic designer friend we have put together a 44 page A5 size

booklet containing over 70 cartoons with the aim of selling them and all income (after

expenses) going to SRBF..

The price is £7 (plus 70p if posted to a U.K. address).

Anyone interested in more information or purchasing a copy please contact,

skidsprocket@gmail.com

Edited by Skid Sprocket

Sounds great - I'll be sending you an email soon!

• Like 1

The booklet arrived yesterday and it's fantastic - I would definitely recommend it! Many thanks.

The booklet arrived yesterday and it's fantastic - I would definitely recommend it! Many thanks.

Thanks for your recommendation, when I said "thanks for reading" I was meaning my post I didn't realise that you were one of the buyers, thanks again..

• Like 1

Still copies of the very popular Smythe's Speedway World available.

skidsprocket@gmail.com for more details

Edited by Skid Sprocket
  • Like 1

Another review from a satisfied buyer. Still a few copies left, skidsprocket@gmail.com

"I received the booklet on Tuesday and it is absolutely excellent. Worth every penny and extremely funny. The cartoons may come from another era but it is remarkable that we currently have so many of the same issues. I feel many supporters of a certain age,like myself,would thoroughly enjoy this. I think with a bit of publicity you could sell a load of these to raise funds for the Bears. It would make an excellent present for Xmas."

Edited by Skid Sprocket

All income from sales of Smythe's Speedway World are now going to SRBF so if you haven't got your copy yet...........

All enquiries to skidsprocket@gmail.com

Excellent book, a good laugh. :P

• Like 1

Cheque for £250 sent to SRBF (Ben) fund from sales of Smythe's Speedway World, thanks to all who contributed by purchasing a booklet.

New batch of the booklet arrived today so if you haven't got yours yet please contact; skidsprocket@gmail.com for more info. or see advert in Speedway Star and on www.srbf.co.uk/

• Like 1

Christmas nearly here again and an ideal time to help the SRBF (Ben fund) and get that little something extra for your special speedway fan at Christmas!

Smythe's Speedway World is on sale for £7-70 inc p&p with £5 from every sale going to the Ben fund, for more info. e-mail skidsprocket@gmail.com

Edited by Skid Sprocket
  • Like 1

Most of you that bought a copy of Smythe's Speedway World will have done so for either the speedway content or to help the SRBF.

If you bought it because of the connection with Andy Capp creator Reg Smythe then you might be interested in a new book on the life of Reg Smythe titled My Dancing Bear written by his niece Helene de Klerke. Helene was very helpful and, with Reg's widow, gave the families permission to reprint the cartoon booklet.

"My Dancing Bear" is available from Amazon or direct from the publishers YPDbooks.com.

There is no financial gain to the SRBF from the book, it is just my way of spreading the word to thank Helene for her ongoing help with Smythe's Speedway World (still available for Christmas :t:).

• Like 1

A big thanks to Allan Melville of Speedway Plus, www.speedwayplus.com/ for his piece on Smythe's Speedway World.

Please take a look and then order a copy, all income is going to the Speedway Riders Benevolent Fund. It will help lighten the dark days until March smiley.png

had my copy for xmas, makes a lovely little present for any speedway fan whether nostalgic for the old days or not.

• Like 2