British Speedway Forum
Boobs

Berwick Vs Redcar (saturday 21st)

Think given what has been said on here already he would have been best saying nowt

I agree with you, as I posted earlier today I`m much more interested in what Berwick will do to avoid the long periods of no track action when we are waiting for the transfer of an injured rider to the County ambulance.

Speedways a dying sport as it is and instances like this will be the final nails in the coffin.

Calling off a meeting 10 days before it's s'posed to run due to a football match on TV when you've had 4 months notice doesn't help the cause either.

Edited by Shadders
  • Like 4

Calling off a meeting 10 days before it's s'posed to run due to a football match on TV when you've had 4 months notice doesn't help the cause either.

Your right, though that could be opening a whole new can of worms.

maybe havy didn't know the World Cup was on

Your right, though that could be opening a whole new can of worms.

Hardly a can of worms - think you will find most Redcar fans thought the promotion were wrong at postponing so late and a lot of us said so, both on this Forum and our own.

So, in essence, the paramedic was behaving erratically. One of the riders refused treatment from said paramedic because he looked drunk. The paramedic then collapsed. Richard Lawson tweeted that the paramedic was drunk.

In America, they have a saying - "if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then the chances are, it's a duck".

Good job this didn't happen in Newcastle as all the Berwick supported would have been up in arms about it, blaming the track and everything. I guess you reap what you sow.

I think some people should be aware that there are several medical conditions that can make someone appear to be drunk when they are in fact not well.

I've no idea what happened, but we shouldn't be so quick to shoot people down.

• Like 2

Giving the theme of the last few pages, I hate doing this but I would like to make a point about the racing that did happen last night, during which I thought Liam Carr looked far more aggressive than of late and scored decent points in doing so.

• Like 1

All joking aside, speedway clubs just don't have the finances to provide the kind of medical cover necessary for incidents like this. Like it or not speedway in this country is still run on a shoestring budget. The compulsory air fences rule has all but crippled clubs, most having to go cap in hand to their supporters to pay for them. Any additional financial burden will kill it

As usual, you make fair point but I do think the consequences of not having adequate cover need to be considered. Incidents like the one at Workington - where the meeting was called off prior to heat 10 - are rare but the cost to the promotion of re-running that meeting would probably pay for additional cover for an entire season.

The effect on fans also needs to be considered. As a die hard, I find it annoying but just about tolerable. A newbie, though, sat around waiting for ages - at Rye House last year, it was about 90 minutes delay - would probably be put off altogether and to those who are already becoming disenchanted it would merely hasten their departure.

So, in essence, the paramedic was behaving erratically. One of the riders refused treatment from said paramedic because he looked drunk. The paramedic then collapsed. Richard Lawson tweeted that the paramedic was drunk.

In America, they have a saying - "if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then the chances are, it's a duck".

Good job this didn't happen in Newcastle as all the Berwick supported would have been up in arms about it, blaming the track and everything. I guess you reap what you sow.

Just because he looked drunk doesn't mean he was drunk and its extremely serious to make such an allegation without knowing it for sure. It could easily be that his behaviour was due to illness.

He almost certainly wasn't swigging medical alcohol during the meeting, so if what Lawson has said is true he must have been inebriated before hand. You would have thought that others would have noticed it and reported it to the match referee given the potentially lethal consequences.

Screm is right. This needs to be looked into and a public announcement made. As with the 'health and safety' issue at Peterborough, I somehow doubt if that will happen - especially if it reflects badly on the promotion.

If it is the case that Lawson is wrong, he should be heavily fined.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

I think some people should be aware that there are several medical conditions that can make someone appear to be drunk when they are in fact not well.

I've no idea what happened, but we shouldn't be so quick to shoot people down.

As many defence lawyers have put forward when a celebrity has been charged with drink driving.

As usual, you make fair point but I do think the consequences of not having adequate cover need to be considered. Incidents like the one at Workington - where the meeting was called off prior to heat 10 - are rare but the cost to the promotion of re-running that meeting would probably pay for additional cover for an entire season.

The effect on fans also needs to be considered. As a die hard, I find it annoying but just about tolerable. A newbie, though, sat around waiting for ages - at Rye House last year, it was about 90 minutes delay - would probably be put off altogether and to those who are already becoming disenchanted it would merely hasten their departure.

Just because he looked drunk doesn't mean he was drunk and its extremely serious to make such an allegation without knowing it for sure. It could easily be that his behaviour was due to illness.

He almost certainly wasn't swigging medical alcohol during the meeting, so if what Lawson has said is true he must have been inebriated before hand. You would have thought that others would have noticed it and reported it to the match referee given the potentially lethal consequences.

Screm is right. This needs to be looked into and a public announcement made. As with the 'health and safety' issue at Peterborough, I somehow doubt if that will happen - especially if it reflects badly on the promotion.

On your first point, IMO this is the issue, namely customers standing around waiting for the meeting to resume, obviously the treatment of any injuries come first, but if there was extra paramedic cover the meeting could continue. Berwick Speedway have taken huge steps forward, especially with their fans in mind, I am sure they will address this issue.

On your first point, IMO this is the issue, namely customers standing around waiting for the meeting to resume, obviously the treatment of any injuries come first, but if there was extra paramedic cover the meeting could continue. Berwick Speedway have taken huge steps forward, especially with their fans in mind, I am sure they will address this issue.

When Ash Birks was injured at Plymouth last season (seriously, as it turned out) the meeting was delayed for 15 minutes while they repaired the fence.

Plymouth are one of the teams who have additional cover.

I can imagine that the wait at Berwick would be horrendous. Doesn't the county ambulance come from/go to Galashiels ?

Reading the match report on the Bandits website it looks like there will be no further news on the proceedings as it has been quoted as "one of these nights"and that goodness for Dr Fortune for coming to the rescue.So don't hold your breath on a Management Statement ,it would be nice to know if the riders and the Paramedic are on the mend though.
  • Like 1

Screm is right. This needs to be looked into and a public announcement made.

And presumably if it wasn't down to illness then Berwick Speedway should be heavily fined and made to recompense those present?

Reading the match report on the Bandits website it looks like there will be no further news on the proceedings as it has been quoted as "one of these nights"and that goodness for Dr Fortune for coming to the rescue.So don't hold your breath on a Management Statement ,it would be nice to know if the riders and the Paramedic are on the mend though.

I think you will be proved right. If I were John Anderson, though, I'd be furious if Lawson's remarks were untrue.

And presumably if it wasn't down to illness then Berwick Speedway should be heavily fined and made to recompense those present?

They are not responsible for the paramedic getting plastered (if indeed that was the case). However, if they ran a meeting knowing that he was I would say they should be more than heavily fined - although I would be both surprised and shocked if they did.

The loss to paying customers is irrelevant compared to the totally inadequate cover for the riders.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1