Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum

For god sake lets try to get speedway back to raceing passing ect.Start by slowing it down putting more dirt back on tracks and bringing back throttle control.Now its just rev and go hardly any passing rubbish,slow the bikes down bring back track craft the tracks have not changed for at least twenty years only to become slicker,but the bikes have become faster,but you still have to get round the same track.I Am not interested in how fast a rider can go i want to see real racing riders passing each other.Its because of the speed of the bikes that prevents to much dirt being put on tracks .the use of silencers did not help but that is a nessetity it realy wont be noticed by the average speedway fans if the bikes are taking four or five seconds longer to complete a race but if riders had to use the throttle a bitt more it could produce better racing than the full throttle from the gate to finnish we see today.Also it would help to keep cost down for riders ,they would not be putting engines under such stress by easing off the gas ,I have watched speedway since 1951 and been involved since 1966 as a rider machanic and official and think i know a little bitt ,so before we kill the sport lets think how we can make it better by thinking back , Jack Parker who was a perfectionest of his time once said it dont matter what the race time was aslong as you won the race, very true so come on before everyone desserts the sport get it sorted .

Edited by rider slider
  • Like 9

Bring back sober doctors

• Like 2

Why not have a million man march on Parliament and demand Nick Clegg saves speedway.

After all he has nothing else to do other than make the cabinet tea.

Nick could turn out to be the champion we need. ;):shock:

• Like 1

After the events at Berwick last night, I`m not sure speedway can be, or deserves saving.

have you noticed the depondancy amongst all of you about speedway. its clear to see why "ousiders" are not going through turnstiles..its really on its way down and out, and no one appears to stop the rot.. imo, i think all the sharing of riders is its last straw

• Like 1

All the speedway nations ruling bodies need to have a meeting and put ideas forward to change things!!

Slowing down to try and get your partner through to join you is one way of making it a bit more watch-able, with a lot of riders I'm afraid as soon as they hit the front they are gone, If you have the experience to get your partner through and sit behind him, let him win, you get the same points on your pay packet.

The sharing of riders is a killer, but it's a case that there aren't enough Speedway riders for the amount of clubs in this country, we desperately need to bring on more new riders but with little or no 2nd halfs being run at tracks there is little chance of new blood coming through.

Edited by Team Man
  • Like 1

After the events at Berwick last night, I`m not sure speedway can be, or deserves saving.

LMAO.

I have been to many meetings drunk but they never stopped the meeting :rofl:

It may get to the stage that the only way to get anyone through the turnstiles is trawl the pubs and promise drunken people sexual favours once they get inside.

Bit like Hostel with speedway.

Is this a new low for our sad sport? What next a blind referee?

Oh I forgot :)

For god sake lets try to get speedway back to raceing passing ect.Start by slowing it down putting more dirt back on tracks and bringing back throttle control.Now its just rev and go hardly any passing rubbish,slow the bikes down bring back track craft the tracks have not changed for at least twenty years only to become slicker,but the bikes have become faster,but you still have to get round the same track.I Am not interested in how fast a rider can go i want to see real racing riders passing each other.Its because of the speed of the bikes that prevents to much dirt being put on tracks .the use of silencers did not help but that is a nessetity it realy wont be noticed by the average speedway fans if the bikes are taking four or five seconds longer to complete a race but if riders had to use the throttle a bitt more it could produce better racing than the full throttle from the gate to finnish we see today.Also it would help to keep cost down for riders ,they would not be putting engines under such stress by easing off the gas ,I have watched speedway since 1951 and been involved since 1966 as a rider machanic and official and think i know a little bitt ,so before we kill the sport lets think how we can make it better by thinking back , Jack Parker who was a perfectionest of his time once said it dont matter what the race time was aslong as you won the race, very true so come on before everyone desserts the sport get it sorted .

Just what I have been saying on this forum for weeks now. Speedway has gone down hill for some years now, the true speedway we used to see where riders rode as a pair have long gone out of the window., as you say open the trottle and go, it dosen't make very interesting speedway.

I used to love it at Long Eaton, watching riders race as they should do these days looking after thier team mate, not worring if they came first and boosting thier averages. But getting 2 team memebers past the line in 1st and 2nd place. It was a skill in those days and I wonder if many riders these days even know how to ride a race like that, they just seem to have this, tunnel vision of winning, without even bothering what thier other rider is doing.

Bring the dirt back on the track, change they engines if need be and the bikes. It is up to the sports governing bodies to not just sit back but to promote speedway in the media and get it back to what it was in it's heyday.

Because at the moment it is nothing but a minority sport. When years ago people used to come to speedway and enjoy it and enjoy the racing. I think we lost a lot of spectators when the riders, strted to alter the way that they went about thier trackcraft.

Lets take a good look at the sport and lets turn it round again.

It can work, but at the moment, we are paying admission prices to go and see what is not speedway as it should be.

• Like 1

the golden age of dave lanning on world of sport, enjoy it on you tube, proper speedway, proper rules, professional, great crowds

The whole EL this year has been an absolute farce. Why do teams that have riders that are assets in the PL chose to ride on the same night and lose that rider. The GP qualifiers have also caused inumarable problems with teams that had riders missing. If teams can't sort out the meetings when riders are going to be missing then it is very bad planning on the managements behalf. Also, the teams that race on a Saturday with GP riders in thier teams, should not race on a GP night. This whole fiasco of guest riders and R/R has now gone to a new level, with so many riders missing from teams weekly. I know teams have injuries, but I am sure they could sort out 1 rider to cover that position until the other rider is fit again.

Gone are the days when you knew who rode for your team. It now seems that you have a team that changes week in week out, the teams can't work together if the riders are not getting the chance to get to know who they are riding with every week.

The new reserve riders seem to be getting it together a tle. But even that needs sorting out if they carry it on next year, there are 4 or 5 riders in there that should never have riden at reserve, they should have been riding in the main body of the team as they are weel above the standard of the other riders.

If it is worked out properlly, with riders in both the 6th and 7th berth of equal standards then the racing should be far better than some of it now.

Do the riders these days even bother anything about being a team memeber. Lets have teams that start the year end the year. So at least the fans know who it is that actually ride for thier team.

Could the GP competition be run outside the regular season? Or perhaps a big chunk of it? For example, the first 4/5 GP's be run in February, March and first 2 weeks of April, then start the leagues, have a mid season break from top flight league racing for another GP or 2, then run the final 4/5 GP's in October and November? Also, reduce the SWC to every 2 or 3 years like other sports World Cups.......

Having just got back from Poland after watching a league match, I can say British Speedway is a lost cause. It's gone too far down hill, the whole demographic profile of the fan base is too old, too many anorak tendencies and just plain wrong. That's before we even get onto facilities.

If Polish Speedway is like Gateaux

British Speedway is like two day old cold custard in comparison.

Edited by Deano
  • Like 1