British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wilsonpaul198

Lions On Sky

Hey guys,

Watch sky on July 14th and actually see a full stadium for the 1st time in recent years for live speedway!! Full team out and I expect 55 points min. Lions roar again.

Trouble is Paul it could put off a lot of first time fans if the racing is first bend winner as is more often than not the case especially at Leicester,s poorly designed track .

Personally I hope this isn,t the case but I don,t hold out much hope of a different scenario.

Hey guys,

Watch sky on July 14th and actually see a full stadium for the 1st time in recent years for live speedway!! Full team out and I expect 55 points min. Lions roar again.

Is DH paying fans to return to pack it out for sky ?

He is a man living for his ego and not the good of the sport in Leicester

Is DH paying fans to return to pack it out for sky ?

He is a man living for his ego and not the good of the sport in Leicester

Allegedly he has something lined up, so you would have thought it would be heavily reduced entry fees. I want the stadium to be shown in a good light and for sky to fully witness the loyal support the Lions have.

• Like 2

Hey guys,

Gotcha, full stadium and full team, I will be watching. :D

• Like 1

I thought that this, which was posted on the Lions 2014 page, might amuse you all if you have not seen it already!

jim the whipper, on 19 Jun 2014 - 09:20 AM, said:snapback.png

Yes' it's going to be like the Americans landing on the moon in 1969 , the meeting will actually be at Scunthorpe but all the background shots are being filmed this week at BP

• Like 3

Hey guys,

Can't see the crowd being that good, it's the start of the local school holidays that week & lots of people will be going away. I for one will now miss a match that i have paid for on my season ticket because it's been moved from the original date.

Trouble is Paul it could put off a lot of first time fans if the racing is first bend winner as is more often than not the case especially at Leicester,s poorly designed track .

Personally I hope this isn,t the case but I don,t hold out much hope of a different scenario.

Unfortunatley you could be correct. I"d like to know the stats for the Elite league 1st bend winners though. Each time I watch it on SKY the majority of races are settled after the first lap at the latest.Most after the 2nd bend.

To be honest, a lot of the meetings I've watched on bet365 (so not selected by sky for tv viewing) have had pretty processional racing, passing only on the first bend and drag race to turn 3, seems it's pretty common nowadays at most UK Speedway venues, not just Leicester......

• Like 5

Maybe Hemsley has got the newly promoted Leicester city team to come ? reduced admission and them , or maybe Kasabian ?

What should have been an opportunity to showcase all the hard work put in by so many people to revive the Lion's will simply only highlight the poor track and the extremely boring version of speedway on offer. However a positive outcome from this might be that DH may finally listen to the views of others. The be grateful/stop moaning/don't go if you don't like it argument doesn't really wash anymore. We're well into the fourth season now. For the reputation of the Lions and the sport in the city, something needs to be done. Just because a lot of us choose not to go anymore doesn't mean we don't want Leicester Speedway to flourish and have a bright future. We can dream.....

• Like 3

£1 admission on the night with a folding chair thrown in for all the spectators in Lions colours. No I for one agree, it is not only Leicester track that races are won one bends one and two. It happens at most tracks these days, with lack of dirt, slick tracks and bikes that are far to powerfull with the riders just riding on full trottle, they could give two hoots where thier partner is on the track, because they are up gone when the gate goes up, if they are behind them or in last place they haven't a care in the world just so long as they cross the line in first place and keep thier averages up at the top.

Yes BP has got it's share of problems, but so have other tracks and as I said this all boils down to the surface, the bikes and they way they ride these days.

Yes BP has got it's share of problems, but so have other tracks and as I said this all boils down to the surface, the bikes and they way they ride these days.

Nothing wrong with how the track is prepared at BP. Glyn Taylor knows his stuff. When the track has been prepared deeper the riders have struggled to get round the bends because of the shape of the track. Most tracks evolve during their lifetime. Foxhall and The Showground spring to mind as venues that have had alterations to their inner line to improve the quality of the racing.

Those of you who have read Alan Jones books on the history of speedway in Leicester will know that even the Blackbird Road track was tweaked on more than one occasion.

• Like 1

How much difference does the shale make? I remember last season when we had some darker coloured shale put on the track, I think it came from Scunthorpe? If I remember correctly it was only for a couple of meetings, but they were very good ones.