British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
wilsonpaul198

Lions On Sky

I think going to a speedway meeting is not always just about the quality of racing that is produced on the night.

Other factors can come into play. If you have been going to a track for a period of time you generally start to mix with other supporters and make friends. The conversations that you have, usually about speedway, the banter and just being with like minded people can help with the enjoyment factor.

But...........having decent racing as well is even better.

If you have been going to a track for a period of time you generally start to mix with other supporters and make friends.

True. That's how I became a Bees fan after supporting the visiting teams for about three years from 1984. It's shocking to think now that I probably even supported Poole at Brandon. :D

Well the Cat is out of the bag now , the something special is .......................................................................... wait for it ..............................................., Ever the one for innovation, Dave Hemsley has come up with another world beating fresh idea for those who dont want to sit in the comfort of their own home or the even the local pub to watch 15 processional races , pretty sure this is just the sort of radical thinking to revive flagging interest in Elite league speedway you would never have guessed , Rocket powered bikes , celebrity guests , and a man diving 60 feet into a teacup full of water during the interval ., Nah sorry that was the domain of real promoters and belongs back in the twenties , Davids more 21st century approach is to reduce admission prices . wow I can see them flocking in . I hope advanced ticket sales are available because I dont want to be dissapointed when I cant get in ,

Well mr searcher, it clearly seems you are related or in love with the guy as you defend him yet don't see his refusal to change the track as damaging to the sport.

I've thought that too Robert,he seems to be batting for the other side rather a lot.....I would love to get his honest opinion of the track.

Good article on the BSPA 'Friday Feature' slot with Mr Hemsley - should get all the fans going!!!!

Explain the large crowds that go then.

getting smaller by the week,when I think of all the supporters we have lost and the rate the crowds are going down I fear for the long term future.....the crowd against Swindon was well down on previous meetings.....no more than the Premier last season. Edited by mrcts

Okay Steve...I'll take you up on that. How many times have you been to Beaumont Park and which matches?

So last active at 3pm and now probably going through his calendar to check exactly which matches he went to before he replies.

• Like 2

So last active at 3pm and now probably going through his calendar to check exactly which matches he went to before he replies.

Iproably busy having a life. You should try it sometime. You may enjoy it although I doubt it

Edited by TMW

Yes and the one to close it because he no longer has enough fans left to make it pay.

Could you explain how you come to the conclusion that there are not enough fans to make it pay?? In your opinion how many would make it viable as a business, how many fans would you need to attend to make a profit?

Iproably busy having a life. You should try it sometime. You may enjoy it although I doubt it

You really are unpleasant and there is no need for you to butt in with yet another nasty comment. I know Steve and he never misses the chance to respond so I thought it was strange he'd been on line but ignored my question, which was quite a reasonable one asking how many times he'd been to Leicester and which matches.

• Like 2

I think different types of shale from different parts of the country have variations in clay content. Which affects how the material binds and the level of grip. If memory serves me right Glyn has posted in the past that the track's successful drainage means that a lot of the clay content gets washed out of the track. Like I said he knows his stuff.

One of the best in the business. Redcar has rarely been the same since he left and went from one of the best racing tracks in the country to one of the worst. It has improved in recent seasons, but its still nowhere near as good as when Glyn was there.

Perhaps he is sick of people constantly bickering at him about the track, i know i would be.

As i have said be very careful what you wish for.

Same goes at Birmingham - if you want to stay away as a protest do so.

But don't whine if the option to pull racing at either track is permanently pulled because people don't support it.

The problem with that point of view is that it means that it excuses a promoter putting out a crap team, a crap track and crap presentation when in actual fact they should be doing the complete opposite.

If a track closes because the racing is rubbish fingers should not be pointed at fans for not going but at the promotion because of what they had been offering.

Whenever i have been the crowds are good (an envy to plenty) and i have enjoyed the meetings.

I guess happy customers don't count eh!

You have been very fortunate. When I have been they have almost always been rubbish.

• Like 2

The problem with that point of view is that it means that it excuses a promoter putting out a crap team, a crap track and crap presentation when in actual fact they should be doing the complete opposite.

If a track closes because the racing is rubbish fingers should not be pointed at fans for not going but at the promotion because of what they had been offering.

You have been very fortunate. When I have been they have almost always been rubbish.

I clearly get that some are unhappy about the track and the lack of effort to alter it to suit.

However crowds always appear good, better than quite a few so it could be said that the Leicester promotion are doing a fine job at running Speedway.

Obviously i might have a different view if it was my local track to support but as an occasional visitor to the track i am generally happy with the standard on show.

Obviously i am there to be shot down now for daring to say i enjoy my visits to Leicester.

No one is going to shoot you down for enjoying your visits to Leicester but it would be interesting to know how many because you seem to be ignoring that question. So come on Steve you're never one to back down so how many times have you been and which matches? I promise you can have the last word as usual. :lol:

No one is going to shoot you down for enjoying your visits to Leicester but it would be interesting to know how many because you seem to be ignoring that question. So come on Steve you're never one to back down so how many times have you been and which matches? I promise you can have the last word as usual. :lol:

I fail to see the point. Does the amount of meetings i have been to makes my point any less valid??

So far 5 times fWIW.

• Like 1