Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

Oh god I was thinking it was sounding promising but obviously not!!! :-(

What on earth did you find that sounded promising?

No investor would lend Birmingham Speedway so much as one penny in its current perilous state.

The only way he could get a loan/investment of £25,000 would be personally and secured against his own assets (house most likely)

If he did this and sunk it into Birmingham Speedway then he is an even bigger fool than I thought.

The business is insolvent and on the verge of bankruptcy and with nothing on the horizon regards a change in trading conditions what would be the point in it carrying on.

When the bankruptcy happens only then will the true extent of the Phillips handling of the business come out

• Like 2

Thats a good post and a good start, i think you Birmingham fans should embrace it. It will give you a lifeline, then further discusions can take place during the Winter. Well done Charles, whoever Charles is..

Charles Phillips son of Alan Philips............................not so well done?

Edited by Nigel

Thats a good post and a good start, i think you Birmingham fans should embrace it. It will give you a lifeline, then further discusions can take place during the Winter. Well done Charles, whoever Charles is..

And well done Starman! Your grasp of 'all things speedway' is beyond description. :rofl:

Edited by Barney Rebel
  • Like 3

And well done Starman! Your grasp of 'all things speedway' is beyond description. :rofl:

Not interested in wading through pages and pages to find out who Charles is.. :icon_smile_clown: Im just interested in Birmingham staying alive. Maybe you couldn't give a monkeys..

Edited by Starman2006

Starman, Charles and his father are the ones "managing" Birmingham speedway up till the point that they have held there hands up and said "no more money - we're out".

Apparently they are not too popular with Brummie fans for the way things have gone.

Logic says, I suppose, if they not managed the business too well over their period of management what confidence it there that they can turn it around in a short period of time.

I am trying my best to keep up with things as well.

Edited by OveFundinFan
  • Like 1

Starman, Charles and his father are the ones "managing" Birmingham speedway up till the point that they have held there hands up and said "no more money - we're out".

Apparently they are not too popular with Brummie fans for the way things have gone.

I am trying my best to keep up with things as well.

Cheers mate, problem is many on here talk text and kids speak. If they wrote the posts properly, then we'd all have a idea whats going on. Status Quo remains then..

Not interested in wading through pages and pages to find out who Charles is.. :icon_smile_clown: Im just interested in Birmingham staying alive. Maybe you couldn't give a monkeys..

But not interested enough to find out why they're in the mess they're in, obviously.

Though I may be a Rebels fan now, my first taste of Speedway was going to the old Perry Barr in the glory days of Major, Browning, Hart, etc as a child. Phil Herne was my idol. So I certainly do 'give a monkeys' whether they survive! Hence I'm happy to wade through pages and pages to find out what's going on. How about you?

How can anyone have any faith in the son of of the present promoter who was also if I am right a co-promoter of Birmingham, when his father has just pulled the plug with so called debts of 50k, say that he will put 25k and another 25k of someone elses money into the club.

This smells about as much as the early morning catch at Grimby docks.

• Like 2

I feel sorry for Covatti brought halfway round the world by a promotion who new (allegedly) they could not or would not pay him ........

Not been paid ? (Allegedly) and unlike his team mates does not have another team to ride for. Stuck in a foreign country and no income

You can bet those pair of shysters who run the show have not lost any of their own money?

While I can entirely understand the scepticism what is the realistic alternative to getting behind this offer?

Brum have always lost money due to poor crowds no matter who is running the club or what league they are in ...Phillips put out a side that was the best team out in the uk last year and still no fans turn up .

Fans will never support Speedway in Brum in enough numbers

Perhaps the demographic has changed in Birmingham.

Perhaps the demographic has changed in Birmingham.

Yes it has changed dramatically in recent years. Ironically Brum has a large Polish community that wasn't targeted aggressively for potential new fans. A speedway friendly resource virtually ignored by the promotion apart from a few leaflets here and there

No wonder we're in s**t street!

• Like 1

While I can entirely understand the scepticism what is the realistic alternative to getting behind this offer?

If Charles and Alan can somehow stump up the cost of the debts owed, do the honourable thing of paying them off so the club owes nothing, then seeing if the new terms are acceptable to Tony Mole, seeing as the level of debt seems to be what's counting him out.

They ultimately want out, we want to continue under a new regime, best for all concerned.

Yes it has changed dramatically in recent years. Ironically Brum has a large Polish community that wasn't targeted aggressively for potential new fans. A speedway friendly resource virtually ignored by the promotion apart from a few leaflets here and there

No wonder we're in s**t street!

Glasgow tried targeting the large Polish community in the city a few years back and even at the time had a Polish Aussie riding for us and backing it in Polish (Robert Ksiezak). It failed miserably, the immigrant community werent interested. I'm sure another club tried after Glasgow as well in their own area and got the same negative response so playing devils advocate I'd say tapping into a Polish immigrant community has already been shown to be a non starter and waste of money so perhaps that one wasnt such a big mistake

But not interested enough to find out why they're in the mess they're in, obviously.

Though I may be a Rebels fan now, my first taste of Speedway was going to the old Perry Barr in the glory days of Major, Browning, Hart, etc as a child. Phil Herne was my idol. So I certainly do 'give a monkeys' whether they survive! Hence I'm happy to wade through pages and pages to find out what's going on. How about you?

I was asking the question late last night, and the previous days, try reading the posts instead of just jumping in with junk.

Im very pleased you do care. We cannot afford to lose any clubs.

Edited by Starman2006
  • Like 1