British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

Sad truth is that fighting funds, donations , collections etc will at best only delay things unless enough money comes through the gates to pay the bills.

........................ and THAT is a fact of life.

• Like 2

Where did i say that ? I must have missed that part. When it comes to sell a Speedway concern it seems to be people from outside the sport who are there to snaop his hands off. Could it be suggested that is because people within the Sport know the true value ?

You said That Mole must know they are Donkeys if they are buying a speedway club my point is at one stage Ford and Co would have been one of these so call Donkeys . No doubt Peter Toogood is a donkey who is from outside the sport

Sad truth is that fighting funds, donations , collections etc will at best only delay things unless enough money comes through the gates to pay the bills.

That comment is so true. How many times have there been similar ventures to save football clubs that initially raise money but in the end founder badly?

You said That Mole must know they are Donkeys if they are buying a speedway club my point is at one stage Ford and Co would have been one of these so call Donkeys . No doubt Peter Toogood is a donkey who is from outside the sport

So are your saying that if a club has be sold rather than go bust it should go bust because anyone who buys a speedway club is bound to be a donkey owner .?

...where did I say the above ? or do you normally put your own spin on what people havent said ? Please in future dont try and 2nd guess what I am saying, as you dont appear to be very good at it.

• Like 1

So are your saying that if a club has be sold rather than go bust it should go bust because anyone who buys a speedway club is bound to be a donkey owner .?

...where did I say the above ? or do you normally put your own spin on what people havent said ? Please in future dont try and 2nd guess what I am saying, as you dont appear to be very good at it.

In debate its how one interprets a comment - not always a case of "2nd guess" at what has been said.

And when one is wrong, can one expect some form of apology ? I won't hold my breath

One of the main problems with Speedway in general and Birmingham in particular is that no one seems to learn from History! Many years ago Birmingham were doing very nicely thank you in the then National League but one of the Directors of the company had ambitions of taking the Brummies into the British League . It happened, the costs rocketed, the attendances went down and eventually Birmingham Speedway was no more.

Prior to the elevation, on Monday Evenings , Green and white, Black and Old Gold and Black and Yellow were were evident -the Brummies were their second division team but once they moved up Birmingham were their deadly enemies and the only time they arrived in any quantity was for local derbies.

It would appear that history has repeated its self .

• Like 3

One of the main problems with Speedway in general and Birmingham in particular is that no one seems to learn from History! Many years ago Birmingham were doing very nicely thank you in the then National League but one of the Directors of the company had ambitions of taking the Brummies into the British League . It happened, the costs rocketed, the attendances went down and eventually Birmingham Speedway was no more.

Prior to the elevation, on Monday Evenings , Green and white, Black and Old Gold and Black and Yellow were were evident -the Brummies were their second division team but once they moved up Birmingham were their deadly enemies and the only time they arrived in any quantity was for local derbies.

Sadly it has a habit of doing that.

"Those who ignore history are bound (or doomed) to repeat it"

George Santayana (1863-1952)

Edited by The White Knight
  • Like 2

Where did i say that ? I must have missed that part. When it comes to sell a Speedway concern it seems to be people from outside the sport who are there to snaop his hands off. Could it be suggested that is because people within the Sport know the true value ?

In debate its how one interprets a comment - not always a case of "2nd guess" at what has been said.

And when one is wrong, can one expect some form of apology ? I won't hold my breath

An apology is often made in most debates but does not seem to happen very much on the BSF. I often find the reverse happens so fas as I am concerned!!!

Not quiet correct, Joe Thurley was quoted as saying he took the brummies into the BL1 due to falling gates because of the Brummies domination of home meetings - people got bored of the team winning by default! Joe had to buy his way into the top league, To be brutally honest we were not wanted in the top league - it was big enough already without the addition of another team to compete with Wolves, Coventry Cradley and Leicester! but Joe persisted and the Brummies were eventually "allowed" into BL1 (at a price) gates improved and were quite sustainable as quoted recently by CVS who was co-promoter with Dan the Man who took the club back into the NL which killed the club because the Brum punters didn't want second tier speedway, TBF the Wheels venue didn't help - it was/still is a dump but at least it was a venue.

Joe was virtually bankrupted by the BSPA's admission fee to BL1 which left little cash available to sign riders and we were totally shafted by rider control which left us with a very uncompetitive team - but the gates were good - in those days people would pay good money to watch the best riders in the world - sadly the same cannot be said of todays "Elite League"

I would disagree on a couple of points that you have made.

You are quite right that Birmingham were doing OK in the NEW National League (as it was in 1975) BUT crowds were certainly down from the fantastic 1974 season. This was probably due to the Brummies being far too strong at Perry Barr for the vast majority of visiting teams.

Secondly, the reason why the Brummies left the Ladbroke Stadium in 1983 was due to the land being sold for redevelopment (now One Stop Shopping Centre.

Of course, the move to the Wheels Project for part 1984 and full seasons in 85 and 86 failed, IMO, for very similiar reasons to the Phillips regime - no money, poor support and sadly poor racing (due to Stock Car damage and Stadium owners that weren't prepared to help ensure the track was upto scratch), on what I feel was the best racing track the Brummies have had.

BeoBrummie and Graham C

I think you are out of your depth argueing against what Cornishfisherman has said. Go back and read what his says again and then retire from this debate as he certainly knows what he is talking about

BeoBrummie and Graham C

I think you are out of your depth argueing against what Cornishfisherman has said. Go back and read what his says again and then retire from this debate as he certainly knows what he is talking about

:D

Birmingham were certainly not wanted in the BL, that's for sure. The way they were treated in the first year was scandalous, what little help they got from the powers-that-be was frankly not worth the effort.Having said that though I think the novelty of a new league and proper local derbies, kept the crowd levels up. At least when it was sold it went to someone who knew what was what..

BeoBrummie and Graham C

Why tell a person to quit a debate? That's what debates are supposed to be about - different points of view. Although not necessarily the case on the BSF!!!

:::::

Did the Graham Drury interview appear in the 'Birmingham Mail" over the weekend? If it did, is there a Link to it please.

Edited by Guest