British Speedway Forum
Brummie Kev

Birmingham Future In Doubt ? Alan Phillips Has Had Enough!

As an Exeter Falcons fan I can truly sympathise with all Brummies fans at the sad demise of their team.

I fear that this is just the tip of the iceberg. Come the winter, we may see other tracks going the same way ( e.g. Eastbourne ), and it doesn't look too promising at National League level either. I doubt if Devon Demons will run in 2015, and if Buxton & Stoke go the same way, and Cradley are accepted into the Premier League, there will be hardly enough teams left to form a National League.

This leads one towards thinking about merging the Elite League with the Premier League. It could be called something novel, like the British League!! Don't know what Sky would think of that though.

We seem to be running out of mad people who are willing to lose money every year to keep speedway teams operating, at whatever level. As almost if not all teams are running at a loss, something totally radical must be done to revive support for the sport, and soon, or I fear the worst. IMO, the sport needs an independent governing body, but as all promoters are only out for themselves, that will never happen, and so between them they will kill off the sport for good.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom, but nothing seems to be happening to convince me to look at things any other way as far as speedway is concerned.

And you know this as a fact, do you?

Do we know anything as fact?

But you do the sums and figure.

But not at Wolverhampton (so far) :nono:

Im sure it was announced earlier that Wolves and Cradley would honour Brummies season tickets.

Yes thats what i heard too.

Superb jesture by the Coventry management, it would be good if they could still go along in their Brummie attire. Its just a bit of a shame that some sort of offer couldn't be extended to the weekly paying Brummie fans, but really not sure how you could go about that, unless you provide some sort of ID?

Thats a dam good interview, lets hope, that Birmingham Speedway can, return next season.

Assets will be held by the BSPA.

I was a weekly paying fan at Reading for years and years. Do you think you could ask Matt if he would give me a discount on admission if I came down to Poole every week? I'll even wear my Racers hoodie if he pays my petrol too!

• Like 3

Perhaps you would like to tell use why its un-workable, in plain English please.

Oh the irony !!!

That's a shame, I always liked that track. Not sure what went wrong in the EL, but they did seem like a very stable club while they were in the PL...

Admittedly, in the Brummies' specific case, they don't just need to square up financially with the GRA to make proper progress ... they also need the GRA's goodwill to welcome aboard any new speedway promotion for 2015 and that aspect of the repair-work between the Brummies and the GRA could be even tougher than stumping up whatever rent's already owed.

Cheers AC, apologies if you have needed to repost your earlier reply to answer my question., As you state it may need the new promotion not only to have cleared the debt with the stadium owners but also be prepared to possible pay alot of rent in advance or for the GRA to feel very positive about the new promation to gain the right to operate.

Edited by Pirio Barre
  • Like 1

Why do weekly paying Brummies fans feel that they need an invite to attend Brandon?

Completely agree. Whilst we would love Birmingham fans to carry on enjoying speedway, Coventry also need to make sure they carry on bringing in money so we don't go the same way paying Brummies are welcome to come along and pay like Coventry fans have to.

I think it is very kind what Coventry speedway are doing for season ticket holders.

• Like 2

I think it is very kind what Coventry speedway are doing for season ticket holders.

It might also be the case that the Cov promotion are planning for the future, after all who knows they may need to find a temporary or even permanent home for their team in the next couple of years.

Not sure why or how anybody could reasonably expect Coventry to give reduced admission to Birmingham fans when expecting their own supporters to pay full whack. A very generous gesture I would have thought to honour the season tickets.

• Like 1

Officially the worst year of my life. there is no loyaltyin the world. The is no trust in the world.there I is no point.

It might also be the case that the Cov promotion are planning for the future, after all who knows they may need to find a temporary or even permanent home for their team in the next couple of years.

That thought did cross my mind.

Will be interesting to see the revised EL table once the Brummies results are annulled.

Happy days

Um, so you see the closure of Birmingham Speedway as "Happy days" :nono:

Some people are beyond belief.

All the best

Rob

• Like 8

Guest GiveusaB

Will be interesting to see the revised EL table once the Brummies results are annulled.

Happy days

TOSSER!

Seemingly irony is lost on some!!!!

Whilst it is undoubtedly a generous gesture by Coventry it would be unwise to assume anything more than that ,or at least that they hope former Brummies fans may go to Brandon in future.

Not read through all this thread but what are the chances that Cradley could take over Perry Barr next year? There you have a club with big fan base looking for a track and a track now not been used, not that much further then Monmore.