British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

I love the whole weekend experience of the GP - setting off from Sunny Preston ( not often I type that ) early tomm stop at Kidderminster to pick up another Speedway Fanatic and head off to the Pairs at Somerset , stay in a lovely B&B run by Sue in a beautiful village on the outskirts of Newport ....get into Cardiff nice and early meet up with my dad who is travelling down on the Sat with my 2 Nephews ( New to the Sport aged 11 and 13 ) watch Woffie win the GP , back to Newport and the Annual Visit to the superb Curry House , total indulgence , travel back to Preston dropping me old mucker off on the way - arrive home few hrs kip and then set off 7am the next day for a family holiday to France and Belgium ( doing vast areas of WW1 for the Centenary ) and then finish off at Euro Disney .........if it all comes off a superb 17 days off work ( that in itself is enough :) )

Cannot wait

Chris

Edited by ProperSport
  • Like 5

whatever the crowd fig, nigel pearson will bung 6,000 on..at least!

The guy in our local paper has quoted 50,000.Although this is the same guy who waxes lyrical about every Heathens 'ommering' and says Wolves regularly get big crowds.I think Pearson is his mentor so your right he has probably added 6,000 on.
  • Like 1

Hi

we are going to Cardiff on Saturday, have never been before so was hoping that some of you regular's out there could help with the following questions.

* Where is the best place to park, we are staying over night in Newport.

* What time does the racing start ( what time do we need to get to our seats ).

* What time does the meeting usually finish.

* Are there plenty of places nearby to eat either before or afterwards.

Thanks in advance for your help, looking forward to a good meeting with either Tai or Chris winning!

Is there anybody looking in at the moment who lives in the Newport area who can tell me if the A4810 which links Junction 23A on the M4 with the A48 southern distributor road is passable. The reason I ask, is that I intend to use it on Saturday to get to Cardiff but when I look on Google satellite 'street view' the road appears blocked along Queens Way. Any help will be much appreciated.

Hi

we are going to Cardiff on Saturday, have never been before so was hoping that some of you regular's out there could help with the following questions.

* Where is the best place to park, we are staying over night in Newport.

* What time does the racing start ( what time do we need to get to our seats ).

* What time does the meeting usually finish.

* Are there plenty of places nearby to eat either before or afterwards.

Thanks in advance for your help, looking forward to a good meeting with either Tai or Chris winning!

Park in Newport, get the train down. Costs about £5 for a return. Cardiff station is right by the stadium.

Racing starts at 5.15. Parade at 5pm. Entertainment (whatever it is, usual crap) at 4pm. I tend to aim to get in for 5 by the time I stumble in, have a wee and chat to someone it's nearer 5.15 :D

Should be done by 8.15ish

Loads of places to eat. The stadium is in the centre of Cardiff. The city centre is grouped with high-street shops merging into local shops in the arcades (some great shops in there btw! I've spent hours in there and I'm not really a shopper) that merge into the bars, pubs, clubs and restaurants. Or you can always make your way down to the Bay - get a boat form Bute Park or just on a bus for about £2 each - won't be as busy and there plenty to chose from.

I'd love to see Bomber win again but I think we'll have to be happy with a heat win :D

Is there anybody looking in at the moment who lives in the Newport area who can tell me if the A4810 which links Junction 23A on the M4 with the A48 southern distributor road is passable. The reason I ask, is that I intend to use it on Saturday to get to Cardiff but when I look on Google satellite 'street view' the road appears blocked along Queens Way. Any help will be much appreciated.

Yes, it's fine. Not sure why you wouldn't just continue down the M4 though. There nothing to be gained by going down there though. It's only very recently been opened to the public which is why it's not googlemapped/streetviewed too well.

Edited by SCB

For those that may not have seen it today, there is a great double page spread on Tai and the British GP in the Sun newspaper.

Aside from peoples' opinions about that particular paper - its nevertheless a great piece of publicity by Russell Lanning in the country's biggest selling national daily!! :t:

• Like 2

Does anyone know how long practice lasts for? Many Thanks in advance :t:

I will be leaving for this frist time to go to a sgp meeting tomorrow morning. Can anyone tell me about the excperance. Im a cov fan and have been going this season. Whats the fanzone about?

For those that may not have seen it today, there is a great double page spread on Tai and the British GP in the Sun newspaper.

Aside from peoples' opinions about that particular paper - its nevertheless a great piece of publicity by Russell Lanning in the country's biggest selling national daily!! :t:

His girlfriend looks a lot like Miranda Kerr, very attractive.

JT.

• Like 1

Or you can always make your way down to the Bay - get a boat form Bute Park or just on a bus for about £2 each - won't be as busy and there plenty to chose from.

Cardiff Food and Drink Festival is at the Bay from 11am this weekend. Free to get into but tasters usually cost...unless you're good at blagging your way around. It will be busier than usual.

http://www.visitcardiff.com/events/calendar-highlights/search-products/cardiff-international-food-and-drink-festival-p16111

As an alternative there is the National Museum next door to Cardiff Castle. Free entry for everyone, open from 10am and an excellent location for Art, Natural History and Archeology. The natural history area is especially good for youngsters.

https://www.museumwales.ac.uk/cardiff/

Just a few alternatives if you are looking for something different.

Not sure it it has been mentioned but it is also Tafwyl Fair (Festival starts on 12th) is on in the Castle grounds on Saturday.

http://www.tafwyl.org/en/

• Like 1

I will be leaving for this frist time to go to a sgp meeting tomorrow morning. Can anyone tell me about the excperance. Im a cov fan and have been going this season. Whats the fanzone about?

Really some speedway related stalls, music, autograph signings etc

There are many different views on Cardiff over the years, some wont go because the track doesnt help good racing. Well some years have been better than others and it would be nice if the corners wern't so perfect so gaps could be left out of the turn or force riders to lock up a bit and help those in the dirt.

For me I really enjoy walking through the city seeing fans from all over the place all enjoying the day and possibly ever rider has a few pounds put on him by some. Then of course you get those that have come from abroad to watch and the numerous hoards of red and white coloured gangs singing down the streets.

I won't be down there til about 1pm this year but in the three hours prior to the meeting I will be loving every minute of it and hope everyone else has a great time ....... ps I am having Hancock 7/1 and an each way on Lindgren at 25/1

BRITISH GP - ENGLISH GP

For me with some of the rubbish tracks that are dished up each season I can't see why we cant have one at Peterborough, Coventry or even see if its possible to hold one somewhere like the NEC or even the Olympic Stadium