British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

We, and I use that term lightly, have at last recognised, just how good the SGP at Cardiff really is. It is without doubt the best speedway meeting of the year in this country, and probably the best in the world as well. So instead of being appreciative of that fact, we hear posters now suggesting we change it in so much as we try to milk the product thus diluting its appeal. The reason Cardiff is so special is because of the occasion encompasses everybody, from Fans to Shop keepers, from Pubs to Local people, from Police to Security guards, everyone is wrapped into the atmosphere of speedway entertainment. Fans come from the all four corners of the country just to attend. They spend a fortune just to be part of the weekend. They do that because it is that special and doesn't happen that often. I have heard attendance figures branded about from 45 to 50K . As no official announcement is declared, its difficult to be precise. But it is not difficult to see the priority that BSI have put towards the presentation to make it such a rip roaring success it has become. I cant believe they would reprecate that if asked and would surely take away some of the glamour if they were to run more meetings

So instead of posters coming up with ideas for change , surely it would be a better idea, to concentrate their thoughts on all the problems associated with our Bread and Butter League racing, rather then, try to mend sometime that is not broken.

In a nutshell.

Incidentally, thought the led advertising strips along the front of the stands, which were also used for meeting info, were terrific. First saw them at the Friends Arena in Stockholm last year. Only the second time they have been operational at the Millennium.

Agreed really liked the banner strips along the first level. As well as winners did the two minutes as well.

Maybe in future it would be possible to show the two minute countdown and/or to show race times also, but was very good as was the spirals in the opening sequence.

As always fireworks were amazing

Think Jason Crump is the best pundit yet - sign him up Sky/Eurosport!

Anyone noticed how showing respect for the national anthem now seems to be a thing of the past.

Very surprisingly and disapointingly, Greg Hancock chose to hold a conversation with DW whilst his national anthem was being played.

Thought Crump did an excellent job he was a natural in front of camera and in fact I think Scott was a bit embarrased and found it difficult to contribute, Think Scott would be out of a job if Crump was available permanently

• Like 1

Well what a great weekend. Pretty good racing, weather, all in all nice :D

Only miner let down was the stunt rider, good for 5mins but boring after that. Also the presentation of riders was a bit naff as went on too long to.

A great event but little more thought needed for the start.

Denmark gets two GPs. There league crowds are tiny to the point of irrelevant and their main GP does not get a crowd the size of the Millennium Stadium does. So why can't we have a second GP? Why isn't the Olympic Stadium, Wembley or even the pretty much empty Ricoh in Coventry if you want to go to a speedway city used?

The argument given for us not having two GPs is pathetic. Cardiff is a huge success, now try London, aswell!

Those that think 2 GPs in UK would be successful...think again!. Families....Mums, dads, children and grand parents go to Cardiff every year. Its like a mini holiday to them. Even the kids save their pocket / birthday money. Millenium Stadium is magic. they really do have the knack of turning the evening into something rather spectacular that appeals to all ages. You cannot achieve this atmosphere in an open stadium but most important I think if we did have 2 GPs I doubt the families would or could afford to turn out twice.We need to think carefully. speedway league racing is suffering with low crowds. Don't for gods sake kill off Cardiff. and it is more central than London.

Anyone noticed how showing respect for the national anthem now seems to be a thing of the past.

Very surprisingly and disapointingly, Greg Hancock chose to hold a conversation with DW whilst his national anthem was being played.

Must say I found that rather odd, considering how fiercely patriotic Americans are.

Keith Huewen (remember him!) used to comment on Sam Ermolenko standing up and saluting in the sky sports studio during the anthem when Greg or Billy won a gp! :D

Do they? I'd think they're simply desperate to get some events in the stadium, given that the venue was losing money hand over fist last time I looked.

Whilst I doubt Wembley would be suitable (far less affordable) for speedway, has anyone actually ever enquired what their attitude would be? I'd imagine it would be much more open to alternative events these days, given the need to recoup the vast cost of building the new stadium and the fact that modern business practice frowns upon lost revenue opportunities.

AM not just talking about the stadium executives but the general staff without whom things wouldn't tick over as smoothly as they do.

Well what a great weekend. Pretty good racing, weather, all in all nice :D

Only miner let down was the stunt rider, good for 5mins but boring after that. Also the presentation of riders was a bit naff as went on too long to.

A great event but little more thought needed for the start.

THOUGHT the opening ceremony was terrific and the riders, who knew nothing about it until an hour before the start (and not much then) enjoyed it. Brainchild of BSI Event Manager Gemma Fordham who wanted to "give every rider their own moment in the spotlight."

"It was like being a rock star for a few seconds," said Hancock.

Edited by PHILIPRISING

Maybe he felt like Rickardsson for a few seconds! :party:

AM not just talking about the stadium executives but the general staff without whom things wouldn't tick over as smoothly as they do.

THOUGHT the opening ceremony was terrific and the riders, who knew nothing about it until an hour before the start (and not much then) enjoyed it. Brainchild of BSI Event Manager Gemma Fordham who wanted to "give every rider their own moment in the spotlight."

"It was like being a rick star for a few seconds," said Hancock.

What happened to the Welsh National Anthem, i was looking forward to that.

They sang it, but the TV didn't cover it...

As for the suggestions about Wembley. Well, that would kill it for me and I simply wouldn't go and I know I'm not alone and I'm sure BSI know that. But we get this every year after Cardiff.....

• Like 1

It came just before the National Anthem of GB! (You had to be there!)

Edited by Chalkie
  • Like 1

Thought Crump did an excellent job he was a natural in front of camera and in fact I think Scott was a bit embarrased and found it difficult to contribute, Think Scott would be out of a job if Crump was available permanently

I would suggest Jason is the cost of an airfare, are eurosport were willing to pay that?

"It was like being a rock star for a few seconds," said Hancock.

General veiw of all i know attended said it was boring Phil. Its not for the riders but the paying public Phil.