British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Wembley may be better in the sense of the nationals being more interested, but if you think Cardiff is expensive, then Wembley would be ridiculous

Personally I would hate it to be moved to Wembley.

Cardiff has everything going for it being right in a lively city centre. My wife takes little interest in any sport but always asks me to take her to Cardiff for the GP which to me says a lot about how right they've got it in terms of presentation and we both love the city.

We actually went up Thursday this year and came back today and had great time.

Wembley is a great stadium but not much around it. Cardiff for me every time.

• Like 1

Wembley may be better in the sense of the nationals being more interested, but if you think Cardiff is expensive, then Wembley would be ridiculous

Have you quoted the wrong post? No complaints from me about cost but yes you're right. When a Wembley stadium event is on it's very expensive.

Cardiff has everything going for it being right in a lively city centre. My wife takes little interest in any sport but always asks me to take her to Cardiff for the GP which to me says a lot about how right they've got it in terms of presentation and we both love the city.

We actually went up Thursday this year and came back today and had great time.

Wembley is a great stadium but not much around it. Cardiff for me every time.

Wembley Stadium but not much around it .I cannot believe somebody could say this. It's four stops on the tube to Oxford Circus. What more could you want.

Wembley Stadium but not much around it .I cannot believe somebody could say this. It's four stops on the tube to Oxford Circus. What more could you want.

I know what you mean but it's those 4 stops on a tube that make a difference for me.

At Cardiff you are there, I don't want to be bustled on a tube close to start time, I've done all that with football. Cardiff is about chilling in the city and strolling to the stadium. Not rubbishing Wembley just that it doesn't appeal to me over Cardiff.

• Like 2

I know what you mean but it's those 4 stops on a tube that make a difference for me.

At Cardiff you are there, I don't want to be bustled on a tube close to start time, I've done all that with football. Cardiff is about chilling in the city and strolling to the stadium. Not rubbishing Wembley just that it doesn't appeal to me over Cardiff.

WHAT'S so great about Oxford Circus anyway? You might just as well be a million miles away. Cardiff is buzzing speedway the whole weekend, and fully embraces the event. You wouldn't get that in London or even the immediate area surrounding Wembley.

Just think of Saturday's brilliantly choreographed opening ceremony. That would have been impossible at Wembley on a July afternoon.

Cardiff the city and the Millennium the stadium win hands down.

• Like 4

A great day again, and it definitely looked like there were more people there this year. We paid our £15 each for a ticket, but couldn't get anywhere near the seats we normally choose once in the stadium! :o Ended up the upper tier, but on the back straight so still got a great view.

Track didn't cut up as much as normal, maybe that led to the more processional racing, and to be honest it didn't matter who gated in the final, barring hitting that rut on bend 2, they were going to win it. Just turned out to be Greg, who's reactions defy his age that made the gate, but he had to work for it, and fully deserved it.

Presentation of the meeting was top notch, just a shame that they didn't have the stadium staff in to deal with the crowds, the queues for food and drink during the breaks were huge, and the staff couldn't cope with the demand for their cold (or warm in the case of beer!), overpriced food and drink. Fan zone was a disappointment too. Far too cramped and as someone else said, same old.

Cardiff is buzzing speedway the whole weekend, and fully embraces the event. You wouldn't get that in London or even the immediate area surrounding Wembley.

Not sure why you're comparing Wembley to Cardiff, when if the SGP ever decided to go to London it would most likely be to the Olympic Stadium. I also suspect you'd be similarly bigging up East London if it ever happened.

The Millennium Stadium is an good venue for a GP, but Cardiff is grossly overpriced for a provincial city and certainly no easier to reach than London for most of the country.

Not sure why you're comparing Wembley to Cardiff, when if the SGP ever decided to go to London it would most likely be to the Olympic Stadium. I also suspect you'd be similarly bigging up East London if it ever happened.

The Millennium Stadium is an good venue for a GP, but Cardiff is grossly overpriced for a provincial city and certainly no easier to reach than London for most of the country.

I don't think he was comparing was he? Just commenting on other posts making that comparison.

I do agree with Phillips comments that the city centre in Cardiff embraces the Speedway and it would be hard to replicate the atmosphere at a remote London venue.

WHAT'S so great about Oxford Circus anyway? You might just as well be a million miles away. Cardiff is buzzing speedway the whole weekend, and fully embraces the event. You wouldn't get that in London or even the immediate area surrounding Wembley.

Just think of Saturday's brilliantly choreographed opening ceremony. That would have been impossible at Wembley on a July afternoon.

Cardiff the city and the Millennium the stadium win hands down.

Surely the ideal solution would be to have a GP at Wembley as well as Cardiff. If Poland can have three then surely Great Britain could have two. If this ever came about there would certainly be more at Wembley than there would be at Cardiff

Surely the ideal solution would be to have a GP at Wembley as well as Cardiff. If Poland can have three then surely Great Britain could have two. If this ever came about there would certainly be more at Wembley than there would be at Cardiff

WHY would there be more at a Wembley GP? And as for two, no way. Some Polish tracks get more fans for one meeting than the Elite does for 10.

I thought it was another good Cardiff weekend with the usual excellent atmosphere in the stadium. Just a few points that I think could be improved on for next year

As others have said I really did not like the fanzone in that location it was very squashed in especially the autograph signing that should have been moved to the other end to the stage, Personally I think it was better in the street. I understand that will already be changed for 2015 anyway.

Although the programme content,editorial and Information was very good I thought the actual production quality of the programme was very poor on cheap paper that got ripped very easily and looked scruffy for the £10 charge I expected and have seen better from BSI on this front.

Lastly as this the largest gathering of Speedway fans in the world with 1000s staying over I am very surprised that both BSI and Monster do not arrange a proper after party for fans and the many riders that go to gather,drink,party,listen to bands and DJs. I know that they do this at some of the foreign GPs and generally work very well. To me I feel that there is a big opportunity being missed here by the organisers to provide more and also to make extra money. This weekend most speedway fans seemed to be in Walkabout,Prince of Wales or the Brew house I am sure that most would be happy to pay £5-8 to go to proper Speedway party . Venue wise the ideal places would be Cardiff arms park pitch area or Sophia gardens park, If noise restrictions maybe the Motorpoint arena.

Edited by flagrag
  • Like 1

I do agree with Phillips comments that the city centre in Cardiff embraces the Speedway and it would be hard to replicate the atmosphere at a remote London venue.

Not convinced it couldn't be replicated in the Olympic Park.

WHY would there be more at a Wembley GP? And as for two, no way. Some Polish tracks get more fans for one meeting than the Elite does for 10.

And yet there's not a Polish GP round exceeding the attendance at Cardiff, even when they've been held in stadia with sufficient capacity. It's obvious the number of Polish GPs was about milking their local governments for sponsorship, at least until the Poles got wise to it and set-up their own GP series.

I'd think the chances of a GP at Wembley are zero. The stadium is not the right shape for speedway and I doubt the FA would accept a track laid over the (less than) hallowed turf. The Olympic Stadium would be the most obvious option.

Have you quoted the wrong post? No complaints from me about cost but yes you're right. When a Wembley stadium event is on it's very expensive.

Its ok screamer. I was generalizing that some people may have felt Cardiff was too expensive, but while not exactly cheap, it is compared to what a GP would be at Wembley.

Plus, the people I know who've been to Wembley say you are too far from the action...not an issue at Cardiff, which is almost tailor made for speedway.

Edited by mb1990

Denmark gets two GPs. There league crowds are tiny to the point of irrelevant and their main GP does not get a crowd the size of the Millennium Stadium does. So why can't we have a second GP? Why isn't the Olympic Stadium, Wembley or even the pretty much empty Ricoh in Coventry if you want to go to a speedway city used?

The argument given for us not having two GPs is pathetic. Cardiff is a huge success, now try London, aswell!

Guest GiveusaB

Another great day out at Cardiff! Only downside for me and my wife, was the fact that theyve moved the entertainment? dont like its new home! Much prefer it in the main town centre......It lost a teent weeny bit of its atmosphere!