British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

i wonder if Greg Hancock Through his excellace would get as much Stick if he had chose another sport

Golf - He's just a hole in one Tart

Tennis - He's just an ace serving tart

Football - He's just a goal scoring tart

Rugby - He's just a try scoring Tart

Cricket - He's just a Six Hitter Tart

I dont think so He would be hailed a Hero that he is

• Like 2

Denmark gets two GPs. There league crowds are tiny to the point of irrelevant and their main GP does not get a crowd the size of the Millennium Stadium does. So why can't we have a second GP? Why isn't the Olympic Stadium, Wembley or even the pretty much empty Ricoh in Coventry if you want to go to a speedway city used?

The argument given for us not having two GPs is pathetic. Cardiff is a huge success, now try London, aswell!

I agree I think GB should get two GP`s, we have stadia that would be able to cope, Wembley, though I think that is unlikely, Olympic Park, and what about Hampden Park, just about to be used for the Commonwealth Games after having a 400m running track laid. Brandon of course has already hosted a GP some years ago, maybe we could go back there and give the stadium a fitting send off over the next couple of years while the National Stadium is being built ay Manchester.

• Like 1

Perhaps they don't want two in GB cos they have to pay for and promote them themselves and fear lower crowds over the two to pay for them?

• Like 1

Does anyone honestly believe a 2nd GP in a substantial sized stadium would be a success? Are you really saying the attendance at the Cardiff GP wouldn't be affected?

Dear oh dear.

If the UK was to take on a 2nd GP it would have to be at an already established track (likely to be Belle Vue if & when built) with about 3-5,000 capacity. There is absolutely no way in any universe 2 temporary tracks with 50,000+ capacities would even be half full.

It's also the same people suggesting the 2 stadium idea that in the past has battered the Cardiff GP for already being pretty much half empty.

Also, with Cardiff being July, at which point of the season should the 2nd GP be held with it being open to the UK elements

• Like 2

Denmark gets two GPs. There league crowds are tiny to the point of irrelevant and their main GP does not get a crowd the size of the Millennium Stadium does. So why can't we have a second GP? Why isn't the Olympic Stadium, Wembley or even the pretty much empty Ricoh in Coventry if you want to go to a speedway city used?

The argument given for us not having two GPs is pathetic. Cardiff is a huge success, now try London, aswell!

YOU are still ignoring the critical factor that given the massive outlay in staging a GP in Britain in a big stadium with a temporary track a roof is essential.

Personally don't see a case for two in Britain ... many, and especially those who splash out on a whole weekend, would probably be torn between the two.

• Like 1

Seems I've gone against the masses here.

The meeting was good entertainment with a great atmosphere but I thought BSI got bailed out with Tai's performance. Remember last year when the atmosphere deflated after his crash.

My problem was the surrounding presentation. Poor acoustics on first bend 2nd tier, or maybe that was just the announcer. Very little fan interaction, no band, no singer at interval.

Fanzone was in wrong place with same old stalls.

Biggest let down was the appalling programme in comparison to previous years efforts. Poor quality paper and no spine. If Pinegen are going produce that then it should have been priced accordingly at say £6.

Why would anyone need two Gps when we can see all the GP star riders competing against each other in the EL week in week out. :unsure:

YOU are still ignoring the critical factor that given the massive outlay in staging a GP in Britain in a big stadium with a temporary track a roof is essential.

Except the Danish GP was in the big stadium with a roof, as is the Swedish GP and yet both those countries have two GPs.

I'd fully agree that a second British GP would likely dilute the Cardiff event, but of course it's mostly about where money can be wrung out of the local authorities and the England (as opposed to devolved authorities) is much more reticent about throwing money into these sorts of things.

Great day out again at Cardiff,sore throat cheering for Woofy,well done Greg popular winner I think.

Seems I've gone against the masses here.

The meeting was good entertainment with a great atmosphere but I thought BSI got bailed out with Tai's performance. Remember last year when the atmosphere deflated after his crash.

My problem was the surrounding presentation. Poor acoustics on first bend 2nd tier, or maybe that was just the announcer. Very little fan interaction, no band, no singer at interval.

Fanzone was in wrong place with same old stalls.

Biggest let down was the appalling programme in comparison to previous years efforts. Poor quality paper and no spine. If Pinegen are going produce that then it should have been priced accordingly at say £6.

WE only do the production ... have nothing to do with price, paper or actual printing

Except the Danish GP was in the big stadium with a roof, as is the Swedish GP and yet both those countries have two GPs.

I'd fully agree that a second British GP would likely dilute the Cardiff event, but of course it's mostly about where money can be wrung out of the local authorities and the England (as opposed to devolved authorities) is much more reticent about throwing money into these sorts of things.

BUT BSI, understandably in my opinion, want to put all their eggs, and a massive outlay, into one basket as far as Britain is concerned. Cardiff is (as the riders like to call it) their Monaco and staging a second would just not be in the same league.

Sweden is now in the position occupied by GB for so long in not having genuine title contenders but at least in Malilla you are almost assured of a viable crowd as long as the weather is okay.

Denmark have only had two because Ole Olsen is prepared to promote one of his own in Vojens but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he doesn't do that in 2015.

Slovenia would like the SGP back having had a good crowd last year and Croatia are talking again. With Warsaw and Melbourne looking strong perhaps only Poland and Sweden will have two in 2015.

But the other two are on permanent tracks not temporary so would be more like proposed Belle Vue

An english gp at the new national stadium when built would surely work.

Only seat 13000 so unlikely to impact too much on cardiff, and you could probably price at 50 quid a ticket and sell out? Attract northern fans gor whom cardiff is too far/costly to trsvel.

Dont see why it would require a "massive outlay" as phil described it, you'd just be hiring a purpose built track for a eeekend and putting up temp seating.

No roof, but how msny wet meetings have been held st vojens for example and still been completed ok.

Really dont see any downside?

The biggest problem for league speedway in the UK is there are to many G.Ps. 6 would be a good number, 1 each in Poland, Sweden & the UK, the other 3 rotated among other countries. I can't see this happening, but I can see (regrettably) UK speedway continue to go down the pan!

Not convinced it couldn't be replicated in the Olympic Park.

I am. It's not openfor business yet and with the chief tennants set to be football and athletics, it presents major obstacles with neither likely to want a speedway cutting up their surfaces. I also don't believe the turf to be laid in a similar pallet form as it is in Cardiff? On the atmosphere front, again I just don't see the Olympic Park generating the same feeling as Cardiff. The Millennium Stadium is a proper city centre site and one of the great joys of going to Cardiff is once you are there you don't have to worry about transport for the rest of the weekend. The pubs, hotels, shops are all a short stroll from the stadium. You can be finishing your pint across the road with 5 mins to tapes up and still be in your seat in time. As lovely as the Olympic Park is, its a fair stroll to the stadium no matter what angle you come at it from and whilts its as convenient as any thing possibly can be in the sprawl that is London, its still pretty darn inconvenient for most people.

In all the time I have been going to Cardiff and chatting with fellow supporters in bars and the hotels, it strikes me that the core of attendees are those that used to go to speedway and make Cardiff their one meeting of the year - it's an annual treat. If BSI did decide to stage two GPs in the UK in one year in Cardiff and London, then they would run a serious risk of that 40,000 crowd choosing one or the other and rather than having one mega event, we would have two rather underwhelming ones. I am one of those supporters who very rarely attends league speedway away from Cardiff and I certainly would not go to two UK GPs in one year.

I thorougly enjoyed the weekend. There was the usual great atmosphere around town, an incredible atmosphere in the stadium, the event presentation was the best its ever been and the racing- whilst not being up there with 2007 or 2004 - was still pretty good. Count me in again for next year :-)

• Like 3

I can see 2 GPS in Britain working but only if the 2nd one was at a speedway stadium like the new BV or Coventry. I doubt there would be demand for 2 big crowds, remember we always get a SWC qualifier too.

• Like 1