British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

I thought of this when i saw a picture of the track being ripped up after the meeting and thought what a waste. When its our turn to hold the final of the SWC why not make the final the next day at the millennium stadium .surely everybody who goes to the GP would stay and attend the final of the SWC. It might even increase the attendence for both. It would truly be a weekend of speedway. BSI could offer a duel ticket for both meetings .the attendance for SWC now is 10,000? If everyone stayed and went to both it would go up to 40,000 ,the track is all ready there ,the stadium dosent get used the next day except for BSI to take track out .i know its paying for 2 meetings buts at current SWC prices whats another £20 on top of cardiff .i think its got winner all over it for BSI and the fans

• Like 1

thought the guy in the middle on the mic was superb as well, is he a regular at it for a club?

Eastbournes finest asset..! Kevin Coombes,

Better and more talented than our team right now! (did i say that out loud)

Edited by StElmo

I can see 2 GPS in Britain working but only if the 2nd one was at a speedway stadium like the new BV or Coventry. I doubt there would be demand for 2 big crowds, remember we always get a SWC qualifier too.

I'd agree with that. It would be a more modest, but realistic ambition to have a GP at the new Belle Vue. I wouldn't see it as the same pilgrimage that is Cardiff, but I expect it would be something that appealed to the hardcore.

• Like 1

From the Speedway GP website:

PARK & RIDE sites accessed from J33 of the M4 - Cost £10 per car

International Sports Village (BLUE CAR PARK)

County Hall (GREEN CAR PARK)

Drop off points will be:

International Sports Village - Tresillian Way north, at rear of Railway Station

County Hall - Callaghan Square north, in lay-by by Ever Sheds

The car park will open at 9:00am, with the first bus at 9:30am. The last bus will leave the pick-up point at 10:30pm, with the car park closing at 11pm.

In all the time I have been going to Cardiff and chatting with fellow supporters in bars and the hotels, it strikes me that the core of attendees are those that used to go to speedway and make Cardiff their one meeting of the year - it's an annual treat. If BSI did decide to stage two GPs in the UK in one year in Cardiff and London, then they would run a serious risk of that 40,000 crowd choosing one or the other and rather than having one mega event, we would have two rather underwhelming ones.

Yes, but if London replaced Cardiff it might be a different story. I agree there's no particular compelling reason to go elsewhere in the current climate, but neither is Cardiff irreplaceable.

The problem with Cardiff is that attendance has been pretty static for a number of years now. A GP in London might be sufficiently more attractive or accessible to the casual fans who don't go now, although countering that would be that the weather might adversely affect matters.

BUT BSI, understandably in my opinion, want to put all their eggs, and a massive outlay, into one basket as far as Britain is concerned. Cardiff is (as the riders like to call it) their Monaco and staging a second would just not be in the same league.

What did happen to the proposed GP in Monaco? Wasn't Prince Albert feted at Cardiff one year with a view to having an event in the Principality?

I thought of this when i saw a picture of the track being ripped up after the meeting and thought what a waste. When its our turn to hold the final of the SWC why not make the final the next day at the millennium stadium .surely everybody who goes to the GP would stay and attend the final of the SWC. It might even increase the attendence for both. It would truly be a weekend of speedway. BSI could offer a duel ticket for both meetings .the attendance for SWC now is 10,000? If everyone stayed and went to both it would go up to 40,000 ,the track is all ready there ,the stadium dosent get used the next day except for BSI to take track out .i know its paying for 2 meetings buts at current SWC prices whats another £20 on top of cardiff .i think its got winner all over it for BSI and the fans

NOT 100 per cent sure the track would stand up to what would be almost four meetings. Practice for GP equivalent to almost 40 races alone and there would have to be practice for the SWC as well. Fine in theory, maybe not in practice.

From the Speedway GP website:

PARK & RIDE sites accessed from J33 of the M4 - Cost £10 per car

International Sports Village (BLUE CAR PARK)

County Hall (GREEN CAR PARK)

Drop off points will be:

International Sports Village - Tresillian Way north, at rear of Railway Station

County Hall - Callaghan Square north, in lay-by by Ever Sheds

The car park will open at 9:00am, with the first bus at 9:30am. The last bus will leave the pick-up point at 10:30pm, with the car park closing at 11pm.

Turned up at County Hall car park as I have done for many years now only to be told that it was being used for another event and that it would be closing at 6pm. Obviously no good for the speedway. How come this was not previously reported?

Yes, but if London replaced Cardiff it might be a different story. I agree there's no particular compelling reason to go elsewhere in the current climate, but neither is Cardiff irreplaceable.

The problem with Cardiff is that attendance has been pretty static for a number of years now. A GP in London might be sufficiently more attractive or accessible to the casual fans who don't go now, although countering that would be that the weather might adversely affect matters.

What did happen to the proposed GP in Monaco? Wasn't Prince Albert feted at Cardiff one year with a view to having an event in the Principality?

CARDIFF crowd may be fairly static, although up to almost 42,000 (figure supplied by stadium) on Saturday, but considering how domestic crowds are dwindling it remains impressive against those figures.

Many EL and PL tracks are playing to audiences of less than a thousand and it is hard to see that trend changing.

Turned up at County Hall car park as I have done for many years now only to be told that it was being used for another event and that it would be closing at 6pm. Obviously no good for the speedway. How come this was not previously reported?

PRESUMABLY because no one was informed.

Millenium stadium cost less than 10 % OF W

CARDIFF crowd may be fairly static, although up to almost 42,000 (figure supplied by stadium) on Saturday, but considering how domestic crowds are dwindling it remains impressive against those figures.

Yes, but it's also clear that Cardiff must be attracting a significant number of non-regular fans. The question is would a London GP attract more non-regular fans, and I suspect the answer would be yes. However, that would have to be offset against probably higher costs and maybe less of a largesse from the local authority as London hardly needs to pay to attract visitors.

We, and I use that term lightly, have at last recognised, just how good the SGP at Cardiff really is. It is without doubt the best speedway meeting of the year in this country, and probably the best in the world as well. So instead of being appreciative of that fact, we hear posters now suggesting we change it in so much as we try to milk the product thus diluting its appeal. The reason Cardiff is so special is because of the occasion encompasses everybody, from Fans to Shop keepers, from Pubs to Local people, from Police to Security guards, everyone is wrapped into the atmosphere of speedway entertainment. Fans come from the all four corners of the country just to attend. They spend a fortune just to be part of the weekend. They do that because it is that special and doesn't happen that often. I have heard attendance figures branded about from 45 to 50K . As no official announcement is declared, its difficult to be precise. But it is not difficult to see the priority that BSI have put towards the presentation to make it such a rip roaring success it has become. I cant believe they would reprecate that if asked and would surely take away some of the glamour if they were to run more meetings

So instead of posters coming up with ideas for change , surely it would be a better idea, to concentrate their thoughts on all the problems associated with our Bread and Butter League racing, rather then, try to mend sometime that is not broken.

• Like 5

We, and I use that term lightly, have at last recognised, just how good the SGP at Cardiff really is. It is without doubt the best speedway meeting of the year in this country, and probably the best in the world as well. So instead of being appreciative of that fact, we hear posters now suggesting we change it in so much as we try to milk the product thus diluting its appeal. The reason Cardiff is so special is because of the occasion encompasses everybody, from Fans to Shop keepers, from Pubs to Local people, from Police to Security guards, everyone is wrapped into the atmosphere of speedway entertainment. Fans come from the all four corners of the country just to attend. They spend a fortune just to be part of the weekend. They do that because it is that special and doesn't happen that often. I have heard attendance figures branded about from 45 to 50K . As no official announcement is declared, its difficult to be precise. But it is not difficult to see the priority that BSI have put towards the presentation to make it such a rip roaring success it has become. I cant believe they would reprecate that if asked and would surely take away some of the glamour if they were to run more meetings

So instead of posters coming up with ideas for change , surely it would be a better idea, to concentrate their thoughts on all the problems associated with our Bread and Butter League racing, rather then, try to mend sometime that is not broken.

Well said. Where else in the UK do you see a City painted totally Speedway. Streets, bars, shops, cafés, hotels all Speedway themed - you can talk the sport with so many different supporters. Whereas at most venues up and down the country you wouldn't even know there was a meeting on. As you say, that's what needs addressing, Cardiff has it sorted. Fantastic weekend.

P.S. Keep the air horns for the stadium, I kept spilling my pint 😄

• Like 2

Yes, but it's also clear that Cardiff must be attracting a significant number of non-regular fans. The question is would a London GP attract more non-regular fans, and I suspect the answer would be yes. However, that would have to be offset against probably higher costs and maybe less of a largesse from the local authority as London hardly needs to pay to attract visitors.

I TAKE your point but I actually think Cardiff attracts more 'casual' fans than would Wembley for many of the reasons already stated by me and others previously.

I TAKE your point but I actually think Cardiff attracts more 'casual' fans than would Wembley for many of the reasons already stated by me and others previously.

One thing that is easy to forget... the Millennium actually enjoys and encourages the British GP. Cannot see Wembley doing the same even if a deal were to be struck.

Incidentally, thought the led advertising strips along the front of the stands, which were also used for meeting info, were terrific. First saw them at the Friends Arena in Stockholm last year. Only the second time they have been operational at the Millennium.

• Like 2

One thing that is easy to forget... the Millennium actually enjoys and encourages the British GP.

Do they? I'd think they're simply desperate to get some events in the stadium, given that the venue was losing money hand over fist last time I looked.

Whilst I doubt Wembley would be suitable (far less affordable) for speedway, has anyone actually ever enquired what their attitude would be? I'd imagine it would be much more open to alternative events these days, given the need to recoup the vast cost of building the new stadium and the fact that modern business practice frowns upon lost revenue opportunities.

• Like 1

Dead right. I lived in London for several years until recently. As much as I love the place, I certainly couldn't go along with the idea that a Wembley or Olympic Park GP would surpass Cardiff. Not a chance. The area around Wembley is a dump, full of nothing but fried chicken outlets and tacky old sports bars. On the other hand you've got the Olympic Park and the glistening but soul-less shopping centre that is Westfield. Neither holds anywhere near the charm of Cardiff City Centre.

As an earlier poster points out, there would also be much less chance (probably none) of public funding to help bring a GP to London. So can you really take the chunk of money from the Welsh Tourist Board, Welsh Government and other sources away and STILL expect BSI to come up with the same spectacle we see at Cardiff? If BSI were silly enough (and they're not) to move from Cardiff to London we would be most likely served up a dliluted product at an inflated cost. And that would have no long-term future. As it is, we have had around 40k turning out every year for 15 years for a minority sport. That's pretty good going and anyone would be a fool to risk that.

• Like 3