British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

One thing I really didn't get with the intro was we have a British World Champion, a rider who was in a good position to be Champion again this year but they announced Greg last. Why? They also messed up Jason Garritys into too.Its not the first time they have messed up the intro for British riders.

They announced Greg last because in case you hadn`t noticed upto this season the introductions have been done in season rider no order-ie world champion last-however this season it`s now done in current leaderboard order.what slightly amused me was Tai`s spot was facing the home straight-if he had been leading the championship at that point I`m sure he would have been allocated the same spot.

I thought the intro in the Stadium was innovative and well done.

Only (very minor) gripes I may have is that the PA/music wasn't loud enough (I was sat top tier back straight) and the firework display seems to get shorter by the year.

As I posted earlier in this thread Fanzone was a mess and needs to be moved back to St Mary's Street but apart from these few minor issues I thought overall it was a very good production.

One point i forgot. Staduim speakers are rubbish and need replacing. Could not understand or hear in box area or from centre green.

I said to my mates regarding the intro that when the van came out of the pits that they should have put stuff in the back of it after the stunt show while the riders got out with a bit of planning it may have hidden what was obviously happening.

• Like 1

I travelled from Jersey with my partner and son, it cost us a small fortune and a 24hr round trip for 3 hours of entertainment but was worth every penny. I've been to Formula1 races, French supermoto and European drag racing but nothing compared to what we saw and felt on Saturday night. My son has barely watched one event on TV but was shouting out as loud as anyone in support of the Brits.

As a first timer sitting on the first corner I never sussed out what the van was doing. The way each rider was announced and brought out to the crowd of cheers and noise was a fantastic atmosphere builder, genius. I've been watching on Eurosport for the last two years and never seen a rider presentation that came close. We were all bowled over with the quality of the event organisation, such a slick show, the lights, the music, the big screens, the graphics all round the stadium that instantly popped up with the winners name. Many of you have obviously been going for years so naturally we have that first time effect you don't have, but we just couldn't fault it, well apart from Tai not winning the final.

Other things that stood out for a novice, I thought the bikes would be louder, I was surprised how much the revs dip in the corners, but was pleased I could smell the fuel / oil.

I've already booked the exorbitant hotel for next year and will probably stay two nights as due to flight timing we only arrived at stadium at 5pm, would have preferred to be a bit earlier for a pint or two, time to buy a programme and more atmosphere building.

All in all probably the best weekend I've had at any motorsport event, great racing, great organisation and WOW, the atmosphere in that stadium was something I will never forget and hope soon to repeat.

• Like 2

One point i forgot. Staduim speakers are rubbish and need replacing. Could not understand or hear in box area or from centre green.

And there it is...the real reason for starting such petty gripes, so you could tell everyone you had a box and were on the centre green. Utterly irrelevant to whether Cardiff was a great spectacle or not for spectators, but you crowbarrred it in anyway. Maybe you think it makes you seem special? Actually it makes you sound like a total wally.

• Like 2

One thing I really didn't get with the intro was we have a British World Champion, a rider who was in a good position to be Champion again this year but they announced Greg last. Why? They also messed up Jason Garritys into too.Its not the first time they have messed up the intro for British riders.

THIS season the championship leader is introduced last. Not in favour personally, think it should always be the reigning World Champion. But last year, with Chris Holder injured, Ales Dryml got the top spot!

I organised a minibus trip with 15 friends, of which 2 10 year olds, and 8 people who had never seen Speedway before. Everybody had a fabulous time and have already asked if I will organise it again next year. The haters on this forum never cease to amaze me. I love Speedway which is a minority sport in the UK but we host the biggest event in the sports calendar with the Cardiff GP. Yes there are some things that I preferred in previous years over this but overall what a show. The easiest job in the world is to be a critic, I think we can each do our bit to promote the sport we all love, yes it is not perfect but I still love it

• Like 1

They sang it, but the TV didn't cover it...

As for the suggestions about Wembley. Well, that would kill it for me and I simply wouldn't go and I know I'm not alone and I'm sure BSI know that. But we get this every year after Cardiff.....

I agree! Cardiff is a great venue and although it isn't perfect, it's the nearest thing we have in this country too it. Long may it continue at Cardiff.

Must admit I could hardly hear the bloke on the mic, then again it was probably all the grown men around us with fkg air horns!!!!! One which nearly got his shoved up his arse!!! Horrible things!! :)

Hopefully in future it could be at the new stadium in Manchester if it comes off, Cardiff is one poxy drive from the north east.

Edited by Arson fire

Must admit I could hardly hear the bloke on the mic, then again it was probably all the grown men around us with fkg air horns!!!!! One which nearly got his shoved up his arse!!! Horrible things!! :)

Hopefully in future it could be at the new stadium in Manchester if it comes off, Cardiff is one poxy drive from the north east.

Get a plane into Bristol Airport, and hire a car. Job done. Problem is mate, you will always get some bonehead who will aim there airhorn straight at your ears, not very nice, but thats there mentality. Airhorns should be directed straight up in the air. Excuse the pun.

Amasing what a british world champion can do. As ive said in another post, think how much better it would be if we could maximise that with the National press!!

General veiw of all i know attended said it was boring Phil. Its not for the riders but the paying public Phil.

Really? Thought it was excellent.

Indeed and the plus 50 brigade loved it :D getreal.com

And the 12 year old kid who I took along and has shown absolutely zero interest in speedway previously despite my best efforts was hooked from the moment the introductions started.

Second successive year going to Cardiff GP.

To beat the high hotel prices we stay outside Cardiff for the Sat. night then drop into Cardiff for the Sunday night. This year we did a third night in Swansea, just to see Gower Peninsula etc. Any big city will up hotel prices when an event is on. Surely they cannot make it pay for less then £30 per room per night you can get on the Sunday night.

We just got there for 5 o'clock, just about got a program. Wife has a medical problem and needs to drink water, cant take bottles in so had to queue for ages before the meeting. Their was bar staff hanging around the back of their "shop" pretending to be be bust but doing nowt, how annoying that was when you in a queue, think they forget whos paying their wages.

Opening ceremony/rider introduction - didnt particularly care for it last year, this year felt the same. I prefer where they introduce the riders, then they get in a pickup and do a lap of the stadium.

The track prep was loads better then last year, just two falls (at the same spot) and top marks to the riders for getting up and off the track so no stoppages.

I dont expect top quality racing in every race at any level of speedway, the whole meeting I thought was very acceptable, obviously the atmosphere within the stadium can add to a meeting and Cardiff does that. Really good buzz and the cheering is something else.

Hancock boring - I dont think so. Sure, he doesnt have the style of Woffi, Ward, Holder etc, but he is rock steady. Thats pays off for him - he doesnt get many injuries does he, a fact emphasised by the fact he has been in every gp of the modern era. How he competes at top level at the age of 44 is beyond me. A legend? Sure is.

The meeting was very slick, hardly a delay between riders going into pit after a race and the next lot coming out. Well run meeting.

What I didnt like and couldnt understand.

1) mechanics allowed on the centre green near the start attending to their riders bike after they had left the pits area. I noticed TW and NP mechanics doing this, there may have been others.

2) on a similar vain - spare bike on the centre green with mechanics after riders had left the pit area.

3) Park and ride - not too bad a wait at Cardiff City footie ground to get a bus to the stadium, but coming back - we left the stadium before the presentation, so we didnt hang about, jet there was a very large queue at Tressilian Way to get one back.

At £10 per couple, they pulling in loads of money, at least they could provide the busses to do the job

4) and like someone else has already quoted, I thought I was being smart by going straight to County Hall park and ride as per last year, only to be told this year it was a shoppers park and ride closing at 6pm - then we had to get to the north side of the city to the football ground.

Cardiff is an excellent venue for the gp, for all the reasons already stated. If there was a 2nd one at Wembly I wouldnt bother going - been there many times in the 60's and 70's. Would probably choose Cardiff over a new Belle Vue, and thats despite BV just being 35 mile down the road.

Not yet looked at what I recorded from Eurosport but looking forward to it.

Ready to book for next year and looking forward to it.

An add-on :- Impressed in how MJ-J rode, thats 2 semis in 2 rounds standing in for Chris Holder. Disappointed Batch could not replicate the previous GP in Copenhagen, even though track size was almost the same and similar shape etc. And Craig Cook, yes, took his 5 rides but that was a bit too early in his career even though he is playing catch up with the years - but what an experience for him.

Edited by OveFundinFan