British Speedway Forum
T.N.T.

Eastbourne - Housing Plans

Trouble is, if you go past the stadium, take the next turn left and go on for about a mile, there is a new development of about 10 houses in what was a field in the middle of nowhere!

The main reason for refusal back then was the potential substantial increase of traffic on a narrow country lane.Since then there has been a massive increase in housing developments in the Hailsham area, including a proposal for 1300 homes just north of the town, on what was farmland. Presumably the council may have altered their views.

Heard a rumour yesterday that its looking like a sell for development (no idea how reliable it was but Speedway people were involved).

I really hope that isnt the truth.

Heard a rumour yesterday that its looking like a sell for development (no idea how reliable it was but Speedway people were involved).

I really hope that isnt the truth.

If its your contacts then id be a litlle sceptical.. :rofl:

If its your contacts then id be a litlle sceptical.. :rofl:

unlike some i never claim to have any.

And if i did i wouldn't go bragging about it.

I really hope Eastbourne speedway continues after the end of the season. I've always really enjoyed my visits there since I was a kid, and I don't want to see any clubs disappear!

Went past the road leading to the stadium a number of times whilst on holiday in Kent at beginning of June, but not seen racing there.

Looked down on it with Google maps, looks an interesting shape - does it give good racing?

Went past the road leading to the stadium a number of times whilst on holiday in Kent at beginning of June, but not seen racing there.

Looked down on it with Google maps, looks an interesting shape - does it give good racing?

Depends on who you ask! There is good racing there despite what alot of people say and yes of course there are meetings where the racing is boring with no passing but on the whole it's not bad. Then again all tracks have meetings where the odd one is boring.

The track has changed in shape slightly can't remember exactly when (I'm sure someone can tell me) the first and second bends were altered slightly where it was for the better or not is a matter of opinion!

For the worse in my opinion. I much preferred the old shape which was a lot fairer, with less home advantage.

Edited by cityrebel

Don't see how it has ever been the intention of building houses actually on the Speedway Track.

A pretty detailed report in the local paper said a planning application was made 15 years ago to develop the land around the stadium by building Industrial Units and Housing. I did not keep the paper but I think it said along the lines of a project Prince Charles had developed.

Apparently the application is still on the table despite having been rejected because it was West of the A22. It seems to make sense because the developing infrastructure and road improvement plus probable bus routes would also have helped overcome Arlington's biggest problem, Transport Links.

For anybody who really wants the details of what land, how and where I believe the application should be available for public viewing at the Planning Office.

I have a few questions:-

Is it the Dugard family's intention to still run the other sport at the stadium eg Stocks? And is it only the speedway at risk?

How much of the surrounding land around the stadium is owned by the Dugards?

It would be understandable for Bob to step away after all these years particularly after his poor health in the past couple of years, but are the other family members of a similar mind? (Connor seemed very keen to get fans' views on PL standard racing!)

There has been talk of PL racing on a friday, but the problem with eastbourne is the traffic on a weeknight. Thursdays were a disaster a few seasons ago, would fridays work now, i have my doubts.

I would imagine the Stocks will still be running as they are said to be propping Speedway up.

Some years ago, the then chancellor Gordon Brown changed the Law on vacant property Business Rates/Council Tax so they had to pay even when unused to bolster Local Council funds. This would imply that if nothing happened at the stadium they would still be liable. . I have no idea how much their Business Rates are but based on my Familys £40k per year for about 10% the size of Arlington, I figure over £100K.

I have no access at all to the clubs finances but I do not have to be super intelligent to guess that most of their losses over the last few years stem from this.

The stark alternative would seem to be bulldoze the Stadium and return the land to agricultural, which would I am sure be unacceptable to the Owners.

The one thing I don't get is why we are so set against riding PL. Admittedly I have no idea of the costs involved in running PL but I would have thought that PL on the favoured traditional Sunday afternoon with lower costs and (I think) increased family gate might well make a profit in addition to making a contribution to the Stadiums fixed cost.

I would imagine the Stocks will still be running as they are said to be propping Speedway up.

Some years ago, the then chancellor Gordon Brown changed the Law on vacant property Business Rates/Council Tax so they had to pay even when unused to bolster Local Council funds. This would imply that if nothing happened at the stadium they would still be liable. . I have no idea how much their Business Rates are but based on my Familys £40k per year for about 10% the size of Arlington, I figure over £100K.

I have no access at all to the clubs finances but I do not have to be super intelligent to guess that most of their losses over the last few years stem from this.

The stark alternative would seem to be bulldoze the Stadium and return the land to agricultural, which would I am sure be unacceptable to the Owners.

The one thing I don't get is why we are so set against riding PL. Admittedly I have no idea of the costs involved in running PL but I would have thought that PL on the favoured traditional Sunday afternoon with lower costs and (I think) increased family gate might well make a profit in addition to making a contribution to the Stadiums fixed cost.

I would agree. Used to love the Sunday afternoon meetings.

What days do other sports take place at Arlington? Could that be an issue?

I would agree. Used to love the Sunday afternoon meetings.

What days do other sports take place at Arlington? Could that be an issue?

Wednesday & Bank Holiday Mondays for the stock cars.

I would also love some PL racing on a Sunday afternoon, or even on Saturday night. The most important thing is regular racing, as few guests as possible, a variety of opposition, and reduced costs. I gave up going after 41 years about 3 years ago because of the above. £17 to watch an Eastbourne select side against another team of guests on days that didn’t clash with the Outer Mongolian Under 12’s Championship was not my cup of tea. I don’t need to watch so called superstars when they can be bothered to turn up, I much prefer to follow my (full) team which it seems is almost impossible in the EL.

• Like 3