British Speedway Forum
TMW

Leicester V Eastbourne 14 July

I thought it was a bloody brilliant meeting if I'm honest!

:rofl:

Well if you like action in the first lap it was ok I guess cos theres no way any racing can happen once they get up to speed, unless ofc you think that riders making errors and getting passed is also entertainment!

I can't bring to mind ANY passing after the first lap unless someone made an error and that was down to the track too - far too long straights and too tight corners - it reminded me of that awful GP/track in Tampere. As long as riders gate and get past the 2nd bend in the lead there's no way a rider will pass, unless he's much faster - nothing to do with racing skill. And yes its dangerous too - so much speed going into too tight bends is asking for trouble, Mikkelsen was very lucky to walk away from his prang.

Stead, Blackbird and Doyle all gave negative comments on the track in interviews and Chris Louis was also uncomplimentary. How many more ppl is Hemsley going to ignore before he susses that his track isn't fit for purpose?

• Like 5

FIRST look at Leicester for me and judging by a string of comments from riders on both sides it isn't conducive to good racing. And already there have been too many crashes. Which is a shame because otherwise it has much to offer.

What a pity that more thought and planning didn't go into the actual track shape. Shorter straights, wider corners, it isn't rocket science.

Your right Phil but you are right a lot of very experienced riders have expressed concerns but all have fallen on deaf ears as hemsley won't listen as he can't see a problem with it.

My fear is someone is going to be seriously injured or worse as it's not fit for purpose.

Great stadium shocking track

• Like 1

FIRST look at Leicester for me and judging by a string of comments from riders on both sides it isn't conducive to good racing. And already there have been too many crashes. Which is a shame because otherwise it has much to offer.

What a pity that more thought and planning didn't go into the actual track shape. Shorter straights, wider corners, it isn't rocket science.

Phil you are right a lot of very experienced riders have expressed concerns but all have fallen on deaf ears as hemsley won't listen as he can't see a problem with it.

My fear is someone is going to be seriously injured or worse as it's not fit for purpose.

Super stadium shocking track

Edited by robert72
  • Like 1

More excitement than expected but good racing was minimal. The only passing was due to riders fouling up because they got too much grip. A few awful crashes with the track to blame for the majority but luckily no one badly hurt.

• Like 1

Heat 15 made the nights entertainment worth it, other than from heat 13 it wasn't great viewing racing wise, but still always some sort of action going on made it a good watch for me. The Leicester promotion must be doing something right.. A good crowd who all seemed to enjoy it and keep on coming back! Nice to hear some horns as well during the meeting, think it makes for a good atmosphere. Regarding the track, definitely straights too long and corners too tight. Just a thought but couldn't they bring the track inwards.. Be easier on the corners if the straights weren't so long. Would that be possible?

Feel sorry for the young reserves of Leicester too, especially clegg who seems to have zero confidence.. Digging them out In front of the nation on the tele is not the way to inspire/help 16 year old riders!

• Like 1

No need to be sarcastic, just answer the bloody question next time.

As my mum says, "Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer" ;)

What the heck is that wire fence doing behind the air fence? I feared for the Eastbourne lad that flew through the air fence that serious facial injuries may have occurred. Does the track need that wire fence for some other motorsport there?

How do you think the air fence is held up?

Actually it looked like the supporting/ wire fence projected above the air fence - surely that isn't a good idea? If Mikkelsen's flight hadn't been checked he'd have hit that face on.

Edited by Star Fever

Have a look at these photos from heat 10 of tonights match,jason Doyle shortley before a heat 10 5-1,never mind his feet,just look where his arms are!!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/16666591@N07/14655860045/

How the start like marshall missed this and squeezed through the gap,the mind boggles!!!!

He's a typical home-biased start marshall. Always watching the away riders. He knew what Doyle was doing. Really though Trevor Geer should have been on the ball

Good win for the Lions. Hope they can carry on now after 2 very good wins. Yes the crowd did enjoy it. Some strung out races but some good action in the others. Glad I recorded it so I can watch it when I got home. Well done lads but you left all the fans with tongues in checks, thinking that it was a lost cause, but came on strong in the end.

• Like 1

Good win for the Lions. Hope they can carry on now after 2 very good wins. Yes the crowd did enjoy it. Some strung out races but some good action in the others. Glad I recorded it so I can watch it when I got home. Well done lads but you left all the fans with tongues in checks, thinking that it was a lost cause, but came on strong in the end.

Yep - they gated.

Problem is after that,SKY will want to come back

Whereas I was hoping for a non event.

Meeting was entertaining for all the wrong reasons.

Just a thought .... Why is Mr.hemsly never available for interview.........

• Like 1

:rofl:

Well if you like action in the first lap it was ok I guess cos theres no way any racing can happen once they get up to speed, unless ofc you think that riders making errors and getting passed is also entertainment!

Stead, Blackbird and Doyle all gave negative comments on the track in interviews and Chris Louis was also uncomplimentary. How many more ppl is Hemsley going to ignore before he susses that his track isn't fit for purpose?

I don't think all the action did happen in the first lap if I'm honest. And riders passing through the failure of others IS a part of speedway racing; in the same manner that driver error in Formula 1 is part of F1 racing; and mistakes by defenders enable goals to be scored in football.

And as for Hemsley - well, if his track isn't fit for purpose, then it begs the question why gates at Leicester are pretty good. To be honest, I noticed more people at Beaumont Park earlier this season against Lakeside, then I saw at Saddlebow Road last year.

As for Chris Louis. Sorry but I take anything that this guy states about tracks with a pinch of salt. After all, Lakeside is (according to Mr Louis) one of the narrowest tracks in the Elite League - when in fact, our bends are the second widest.

Edited by The Voice Of Reason

I thought it was a bloody brilliant meeting if I'm honest!

Well done to both teams; and particularly the Leicester Promotion. I'm sure that I wasn't the only neutral on the edge of the seat.

Don't really get the constant criticism about the track; particularly as the majority of people possibly making these comments have never even sat on a Speedway Bike; let alone ridden/raced one.

If all speedway meetings were that entertaining, the sport may not be scratching it's arse looking for punters.

Decent meeting with a touch of drama and some spectacular crashes. With a big crowd in attendance.

Enough said.

As i have found always decent entertainment.

Track COULD be so much better but at least the public were entertained.

• Like 1

I don't think all the action did happen in the first lap if I'm honest. And riders passing through the failure of others IS a part of speedway racing; in the same manner that driver error in Formula 1 is part of F1 racing; and mistakes by defenders enable goals to be scored in football.

And as for Hemsley - well, if his track isn't fit for purpose, then it begs the question why gates at Leicester are pretty good. To be honest, I noticed more people at Beaumont Park earlier this season against Lakeside, then I saw at Saddlebow Road last year.

As for Chris Louis. Sorry but I take anything that this guy states about tracks with a pinch of salt. After all, Lakeside is (according to Mr Louis) one of the narrowest tracks in the Elite League - when in fact, our bends are the second widest.

Well my definition of action must be different to yours then I guess. As i said I can't recall anything happening after the first lap UNLESS a rider made an error which was induced by the shape/speed of the track. Pedersen was noticeably faster than Doyle in the last heat - on a lot of tracks he'd have been able to cut back or manouevre his way past. That's called RACING.

F1 is as boring as hell lets be honest - hopefully speedway never ends up like that (tho' Beaumont Pk seems to be encouraging it) but the shape of the F1 circuit isn't to blame for the driver errors. Similarly, tho' it was strangely entertaining to see Germany put 7 past Brazil last week due to the latter's defending errors, it wasn't the shape of the pitch that caused that was it! This is what ppl are moaning about - Beaumont Pk simply isn't a good place to watch speedway.

The gates are staying up probably because new ppl have been attracted by a new attraction but supporters from the past are giving up on it according to their posts in here. It just simply isn't speedway AS THEY KNEW IT (more than likely they've been going to Cov Wolves P'boro or Lynn and are disappointed that what they've now got isn't as good).

I'm sure Chris Louis knows what he's talking about too with his experience (Ipswich wasn't too dissimilar shape-wise after all and was notorious as being a gater's track) - not to mention Doyle, Blackbird and Stead who all gave negative track comments.

Edited by Star Fever
  • Like 1

I found that there was plenty of action. Maybe you was just trying to see if you could get on the TV rather than watch what was actually going on on the track. First time I have ever been to get a coffee, before the start of heat 15, that I have been to find that there was only 3 people there. Noone wanted to leave thier places. And I can't remember so many people staying to see the team interview at the end of the meeting. So it looked to me that someone got thier £10 worth of action.

Last night saw some of the closest racing that you could have wished for. I for one enjoyed the meeting and I think so did many others there.

• Like 1