British Speedway Forum
The Voice Of Reason

Lakeside V Eastbourne - 18th July

Was not there so cant comment on match but was not expecting what seemed on paper a poor Eagles team to get this close.

Scraping to a home win over a seasonal poor travelling team.

The decision to axe PK as a 2nd string now looks very dodgy.

I don't think the result would have been much different with PK still in the team, as both Lewis and Kim scored fairly well - especially considering that Lewis admitted he was carrying a pulled muscle and it was Kim's first one back against a team with an outstanding reserve and solid 2nd strings.

Unfortunately it was Richard and Adam's scores that were a bit lower than we would usually expect. It just wasn't Richard's night after starting with a fall but I'm sure he'll bounce back at Leicester tomorrow. Adam's confidence seems to have been dropping over the last few weeks - hopefully he can keep his chin up and get back to riding how we know he can.

Blackbird was very, very impressive - he surely has a very bright future. Pedersen also performed much better than he has on his last few visits.

It was a very dramatic looking meeting with all the lightning behind the home straight! The track staff did well considering the heat, but whenever it's dusty (like Good Friday meetings) the Eagles usually seem to adjust a bit better. I really hope we'll still be enjoying visits from our closest rivals next season.

Edited by Mjolnir
  • Like 4

Lakeside could not get out of the gate in the early races.. 5-1s heats 8 ..11 and 13 ,and a 4-2 in heat 15 just swung it for the Hammers .but a reverse was on the cards after heats 6 and 7 ...result 47 -43... Plenty of good racing accompanied by some great lightning bolts in the later stages ,,I thought Lewis Blackbird was Eastbournes best rider and well used by their management, but at i believe 26 yrs of age should he be a fast track rider ?

Lakeside could not get out of the gate in the early races.. 5-1s heats 8 ..11 and 13 ,and a 4-2 in heat 15 just swung it for the Hammers .but a reverse was on the cards after heats 6 and 7 ...result 47 -43... Plenty of good racing accompanied by some great lightning bolts in the later stages ,,I thought Lewis Blackbird was Eastbournes best rider and well used by their management, but at i believe 26 yrs of age should he be a fast track rider ?

He's 27. And no. Not really

I don't think the result would have been much different with PK still in the team,

Have to disagree. As a 2nd string PK would easily score double figures.

What a thoroughly enjoyable match. Eastbourne pushed us hard and could easily have gotten that elusive away win. Kim Nilsson looked solid, and fought hard for points when missing the gate. Davy looked a different rider from the one who struggled in Sweden on Tuesday. Rory Schlein was, as always, an excellent guest. Lewis and Ben did their jobs well. The real difference in the Hammers scoring was the below par performances from Richard Lawson and Adam Ellis. Both have done brilliantly this season and I'm sure one bad night can be quickly forgotten and they'll be back to their best sooner rather than later.

I agree that Lewis Blackbird is a talent, and that at 27 he's not really what the fast track system was designed for. However, he's in there, and can only be congratulated on seizing the opportunity. I too genuinely hope we see the Eagles in the Elite League again next year, they always bring vociferous support and contribute to a good atmosphere.

• Like 2

Perhaps he would have. Watching him at our home meetings this season though, I'm not completely convinced. Whether it was Lakeside or PK who initiated the decision I can understand the reasons for the change. I'll give it a few meetings before I make make up my mind how much of an impact it's had.

At the end of the day though, PK or no PK, if 2 other riders had performed tonight how they usually have been this season we would have won much more comfortably - just an off night for them I think, it happens and hopefully we can grab some more points away to secure a playoff spot.

Thanks to Rory again as well - great effort as a guest as always!

What a great meeting and I have to say it, what a great race track!

I really started to believe at one time that Eastie could pull off that win we are so desperate for.

Good effort from both teams with some cracking racing

• Like 6

I have questioned his scoring at times this season but to replace him with nilsson is a very poor decision and it cant be long before PK is back on his own corridor Edited by foreverblue
  • Like 1

Blackbird has only started speedway so to say that he's 27 is unfair.

He's a late starter.

He was born on 21st Feb1987 but if it's unfair to say he is 27 what age shall we give him ? Is 14 alright with you ? Doesn't alter the fact that he has been riding longer than 3 of tonight's Lakeside team, and the fact that he shouldn't really be in the draft given the position he started the season in his PL club.

• Like 3

Was not there so cant comment on match but was not expecting what seemed on paper a poor Eagles team to get this close.

Eastbourne rode very well , as they often do at Lakeside. They won the toss took advantage of the more favourable gate positions in the early stages, took there chances and were more impressive than a lot of visiting sides this year. By contrast Lakeside were finding themselves in the wrong part of the track too often. It changed around the halfway stage when Lakeside had a team talk and Davy really pulled the team together, showing why he is one of the best captains around. Lakeside hardly put a foot wrong after that, making for an exciting finish.

Great effort by Rory who once again showed his liking for the track. 100% commitment from him.

Eastbourne get a lot of stick for fans of the more fashionable clubs but they showed a lot of character, to unexpectedly take a point. Can't fault their efforts.

Once again it was a slickly run meeting, starting at 8 pm and was done and dusted by about 9.40.

Almost certainly true, but with rolling averages PK was stuck in a heat leader role.

Scraping to a home win over a seasonal poor travelling team.

The decision to axe PK as a 2nd string now looks very dodgy.

"Read all about it.

Jensen Jensen Racing hacks stevebrums account.

Read all about it".

"Read all about it.

Jensen Jensen Racing hacks stevebrums account.

Read all about it".

`The Voice Of non Reason`