British Speedway Forum
clambo71

Tai Woffinden's Views On Single Night Racing In Uk

Will Tai's view about racing on one night in the UK have any promoters

taking any notice. He says in the SS that he is not the only top rider

currently riding here who is thinking about giving us a miss in 2015.

Hardly surprising really. PUK had a rest from the Euro Pairs earlier, because of a heavy workload. Think most supporters are in agreement riding one night a week for EL

Edited by Falcon Hammer

supporters can all be in agreement, but if a club doesn't own the stadium it's not up to them is it

Perhaps those clubs may have to go Premier League then? Something needs to happen if we want the best riders riding in the UK, to call the existing Elite League 'elite' is frankly a joke.

• Like 4

Perhaps those clubs may have to go Premier League then? Something needs to happen if we want the best riders riding in the UK, to call the existing Elite League 'elite' is frankly a joke.

How many would that leave in the EL?

• Like 2

So, What night would it be?

and

How many teams can race on that night?

Much as I would be in favour of 1 night a week speedway, I just don't think its feasible. Possibly they could look at limiting clubs to 1 home match and 1 away each week, but thats probably the best they can do

Well one awkward team have gone in Eastbourne! I guess the less teams there are in our EL the better for the top men.

Do we know how many of them want to race here with only one day a week race night? I guess it's down to the promoters to find out!

But can we afford the 'best' riders ? Do the 'best' riders provide the best racing and entertainment. Not sure they always do to be honest

• Like 4

I think it would have to be 2 nights consecutively as I don't think clubs and probably a majority of fans wouldn't be happy with only 1 meeting a fortnight providing no rain-offs. It would also possibly mean the introduction of some sort of squad system as guests would be out of the question, also D/U and FTD riders would be in doubt if everybody is riding the same night.

WHATEVER we finish up with in 2015 fans need to know with certainty when their track will be staging meetings and when they will not.

It's pointless people like frigbo having a crack at riders like Tai. Quite naturally they will want to earn as much from a limited career, which could end tomorrow, as they can and right now that means racing in Poland and Sweden ahead of the UK.

One race night has been a thorny chestnut for British tracks for a long, long time and it remains tough to seen how that hurdle can be overcome. But if British fans are to get the chance to see more rather than less of the top riders racing here then some solution will have to be found. It is not just the money but the inconvenience of commuting in and out of England on a regular basis that is taking its toil.

Some sort of super league, with limited fixtures and tailored for Sky, could be the answer with those teams perhaps also competing in a secondary competition, possibly the Premier League which might be split geographically.

I would very much object to that Philip.

The Premier League is making it's own way very nicely thank you. Of course, in this economic climate of austerity some Premier League Teams are feeling the pinch - but crucially they are managing. If they can survive the Recession I honestly feel that brighter days will be ahead for the Premier League.

The Elite League, however, is in a mess. Birmingham - Closed, Eastbourne - could (hopefully not) be about to go the same way. Other Clubs are not doing very well - the Product has become that watered down with Premier League and National League Riders that the League itself is just a pale shadow of what it used to be, hardly 'Elite'.

I think the only way forward for the Elite League is a single night per week of Racing - One Home Meeting a fortnight and One Away Meeting per fortnight. THAT is the only way the League will survive and flourish. THAT way the World's leading Riders could return.

I would much prefer that the Elite League Group stayed away from the Premier League - they would only ruin what is a very good, entertaining and competitive League. They certainly have a history of ruining things in their own League.

• Like 2