British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
AFCB Wildcat

Jawa 884 Oil Filter

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me in replacing what I assume is an oil filter on a 884 engine.

I have always drained it by removing the lower timing case bolt but wanted to see if I could get anymore oil out by removing the 22mm hex plug on the bottom of the engine but was unaware that it contained a filter until it dropped into the bowl.

I am now unsure which way round it goes to replace it. There is a stepped pin and a spring. The smaller diameter of the pin appears to locate in the smaller diameter of the filter so fairly obvious how that fits I suppose and the spring sits inside the filter located on the pin. On the side of the filter that the spring protrudes from there is a 'o' ring.

Does the protruding spring and 'o' ring go into the engine with the spring acting as an ejecting device or does it go into the hole in the drain plug with the 'o' ring against the plug?

The hole in the plug is the right diameter to house the spring but as it is so deep it puts no tension on the spring so I'm not sure.

Advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

A bit of help would be greatly appreciated. I've put the pin in the filter with it located in the smaller diameter hole, then pushed the spring over the pin and screwed in the plug so that the spring is located in the plug and the 'o' ring is against the face of the plug. Is this correct? Anyone please?

You put the spring on the pin first then put the pin in thr centre hole before screwing back in place hope that helps

Thanks, that kind of sounds what I've done but the pin is only about 1/4" long and stepped so does it protrude from the end of the spring and locate in the smaller diameter hole in the filter?

It's just that looking into the engine there appears to be a hole in the surface behind the filter. Should the pin protrude from the filter into this hole or is it an oilway that should be clear. I hope you see what I mean!