British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Noodles

Sidecars At Peterborough 23/8/14

Taken from Peterborough Arena (showground) website:

One of the most exciting spectator sports is coming to Peterborough Arena!

Following the success of sidecar racing at the venue earlier this year as part of the BMF Show, audiences are about to experience the thrills and exhilaration of 1000cc sidecar racing.

This brand new event for the versatile indoor and outdoor venue is set to attract speed fans and visitors from across the region and will see some of the countrys top class riders in action.

Reigning Track Racing and British Masters Champions Mark Cossar and Carl Blythe will take to the East of England Showground main arena track to do battle with rival crews.

The excitement kicks off at 7pm with over 20 races during the evening. Tickets are £10. Free entry for under 15s.

The venue offers ample free parking.

For details on the 1000cc sidecar racing event contact Jason@peterborougharena.com

http://www.peterborougharena.com/events/1000cc-sidecar-racing-august-2014/

As a "speed" fan I think it's ok as an extra to the main event (a speedway meeting) but I won't be attending for 20 races of this between guys I have never heard of and especially on a Saturday evening when I have better things to do.

As a "speed" fan I think it's ok as an extra to the main event (a speedway meeting) but I won't be attending for 20 races of this between guys I have never heard of and especially on a Saturday evening when I have better things to do.

Perhaps that's how many non-speedway fans look at our sport? If you don't try something how do you know what it's like? In other parts of the world sidecars are regarded as speedway - as are midget cars, sprint cars.

Here's some grass track sidecar action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amw-SBK64Gs

UK sidecar speedway action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz19xLw_r58

Ive watched quite a few sidecar events of the years, Reading, Coventry and Brimmingham to mention a few, hope I can get to this one at peterborough.

When I first went to a sidecar speedway meeting I can't honestly say I was particularly looking forward to it. I was completely surprised at how exciting it was. I will be at Peterborough for sure and at £10 it's great value for money. Let's hope the weather is kind and some ''newbies'' will give it a go!

There was a Midland Sidecar League in the 1951-52 winter. Teams were Coventry, Leicesterm Cradley Heath and Birmingham. I don't think fixtures were completed because of bad weather - the league ran through the December-January period.

Edited by Guest

i went to one of these at Kings Lynn a few years ago, great action, and looking forward to Peterborough

Should be a good evening. Although I competed in club solo grass track racing used to enjoy watching the sidecars. Can be very spectacular.

Just seen a quite brilliant meeting at the EoES. Shame it wasn't advertised more so a bigger crowd would have turned up. Showed up the solos I thought, and nineteen heats over in five minutes over two hours. Think on that Panthers! Let's have more, AND more advertising

Just seen a quite brilliant meeting at the EoES. Shame it wasn't advertised more so a bigger crowd would have turned up. Showed up the solos I thought, and nineteen heats over in five minutes over two hours. Think on that Panthers! Let's have more, AND more advertising

I had a brilliant evening -- it's a shame there wasn't a bigger crowd!

Perhaps that's how many non-speedway fans look at our sport? If you don't try something how do you know what it's like? In other parts of the world sidecars are regarded as speedway - as are midget cars, sprint cars.

Sorry I have not replied to your post earlier - I had not seen it until today - not sure how I missed it.

I was actually speaking from experience having watched side-cars several times at Peterborough and other tracks in the past. Some years ago I also used to be a big Grasstrack fan so watched a lot then also and I agree they are very entertaining but not for me as a separate event on its own. Having seen a friends video from last evening on FB it doesn't look as if the crowd was very big for the event but that's probably down to lack of promotion as much as anything.

it doesn't look as if the crowd was very big for the event but that's probably down to lack of promotion as much as anything.

didn't know it was on , sat in my house bored 5h1tless last night if I'd knew I would have gone

I can recall watching a sidecar event at West Ham around 1967 I think. From memory the racing was ok but it would need a big track such as West Ham to realise it's potential. I could not imagine Sidecar racing at New Cross, though if any of our older New Cross fans know better I would love to hear from them.