British Speedway Forum
oldtimer

Somerset V Sheffield 29/7

Surprised not a thread started on this match yet 4pm on the Tuesday. Perhaps everyone is watching the Commonwealth Games or watching the World cup this evening. The reason Simon Stead did not ride last night and will be absent tonight has been covered on the Sheffield post, seems a crazy rule to me when Brits are not flying out until tomorrow. The alternative would have been to swap matches with Rye House who are due at Oak Tree on 8th August, then the fans could see Kennett tonight riding for Rye House and Sheffield match moved to the August 8th and fans could see Stead. Having a quick look I cannot see any clashes with that solution, although it would mean 3 matches in 3 days for Rye. I have not looked but there are also other fixtures yet to be run that could be swapped. If clubs are not willing to change fixtures, the powers that be should force them to do so. I continually get the impression that clubs don't give a monkeys about their customers and forget they are in the entertainment business, one wonders there reasons why they bother to run a speedway team in the first place.

Good news both riders who crashed last night are not too badly hurt. Tonight's match should be an expensive pay day for Deb.

A real shame Oak Tree have stopped serving their excellent Sunday Lunch.

Edited by oldtimer

Sheffield have Richard Lawson for Simon Stead, R/R for Leigh Lanham, Hugh Skidmore for Ty Proctor, Jason Bunyan for Andre Compton, Ben Wilson and Taylor Poole. Not sure if Josh Bates will be fit. Somerset will have R/R for Oliver Allen who needs a re-examination by medics in 7 days before he can ride again.

If that is true will Olly miss the fours on Sunday. Bad news for the Rebels if so specially as we lost Doyle last season,which I think probably cost us the title,no disrespect to Kyle Newman or the Monarchs.

If that is true will Olly miss the fours on Sunday. Bad news for the Rebels if so specially as we lost Doyle last season,which I think probably cost us the title,no disrespect to Kyle Newman or the Monarchs.

Those Monarchs do seem to have a habit of taking titles off Somerset don't they.

Those Monarchs do seem to have a habit of taking titles off Somerset don't they.

I wish it was a habit we had. Not done it lately.

I wish it was a habit we had. Not done it lately.

Newcastle have had their fare share of trophies in the last few years, its actually quite nice for them to give some other teams a chance.

Newcastle have had their fare share of trophies in the last few years, its actually quite nice for them to give some other teams a chance.

Not by choice tho screm. :lol:

Not by choice tho screm. :lol:

Have a look at Berwick, normally we`ve had our end of season do by now, this year our season might just last long enough to get a few meetings in September. :o

• Like 1

Well done Sheffield Promo for getting a team together for tonight's meeting.

• Like 2

More like nicking tbh.I thought we had a better chance of winning the 4's last season than the Pairs, still you can't beat bad luck can you DB lol.

More like nicking tbh.I thought we had a better chance of winning the 4's last season than the Pairs, still you can't beat bad luck can you DB lol.

To be fair, if Cookie was at the pairs nobody would have bothered to turn up.

Shame that the Sheffield team has been decimated, but well done to the promotion for getting a team together. Can't see many Somerset fans leaving early tonight... :icon_smile_clown:

To be fair, if Cookie was at the pairs nobody would have bothered to turn up.

Shame that the Sheffield team has been decimated, but well done to the promotion for getting a team together. Can't see many Somerset fans leaving early tonight... :icon_smile_clown:

Not sure if you were at this seasons Pairs meeting, the Rebels were better than Jason and josh last year IMO, no last places until Nick came off gifting it to the Monarchs. Not sure if Cook would have made that much of a difference, quite a lot of passing on a very quick OTA strip.

Just been reading the News re the two riders who fell heavily last night, especially Andre who had that horrific fall. Pleased to hear there is nothing broken or long lasting.

Just been reading the News re the two riders who fell heavily last night, especially Andre who had that horrific fall. Pleased to hear there is nothing broken or long lasting.

I have seen the damage done to Comptons crash helmet, it certainly did its job and saved Andre from what could've been a nasty injury.

• Like 1