British Speedway Forum
TheSmiler

Speedway Promoter Game?

I recently installed virtual box and got w98 up and running, I know its good because it will now run ultimate soccer manager 98/99 perfectly, if anyone needs help to enable old games to run on w10 give me a shout and if I can assist in any way I would gladly do so :cheers:

iv also managed to find the old game "riding the boards" on commodore 64. And I found a tape.file and had it up and running on winvice last week, iv also got the team championship games running....really easy to do too

2 hours ago, Sp33dy89 said:

Actually I think I just solved our issue. 

In VM copy the contents of the Speedway Promoter folder to C\WINDOWS\GDW2002 and it seems to work fine for me now. 

Although no ideas with some of the game itself

Great will give that a try later. :t:

I had International Speedway on tape for my Commodore C64 (wish I'd kept it, had literally 100's of games) and somewhere I still have League Champions on disk for the Commodore Amiga, still have my original Amiga A500 (not the A500+) and an A1200 I bought for £12 at a car boot sale.  Used to have an A600 too that I bought for £6 (!) in a charity shop but don't know what happened to it.  I also have FIM SGP Speedway Grand Prix 2 for the PC, ran ok on my wonderful Win98 & WinXP PCs but not got around to installing it on newer machine yet as I'm told it's an absolute swine to configure for Win10.  However I remain utterly hopeless at the online Speedway Turbo Sliders ;)....

Edited by martinmauger
lamenting on games machines

Happy to say iv got it working.  There goes my weekend plans. :t:

Extra info.  The game tends to freeze on me often.  If you save regularly it shudnt be a problem to just close it down and load up.  Does eventually un freeze but can take a few mins.  

Edited by Cj69

1 hour ago, Cj69 said:

Happy to say iv got it working.  There goes my weekend plans. :t:

Extra info.  The game tends to freeze on me often.  If you save regularly it shudnt be a problem to just close it down and load up.  Does eventually un freeze but can take a few mins.  

Did the method I mentioned work?

Would love to be able to get the riders update but I have no clue about half of the stats in the riders/save file. 

2 minutes ago, Sp33dy89 said:

Did the method I mentioned work?

Would love to be able to get the riders update but I have no clue about half of the stats in the riders/save file. 

Yeah copied those files into the GDW file.   It's a little nostalgia trip looking at the riders. Maybe only 6 still riding.  

Absolutley Crazy people are talking about Speedway promoter 2002 today, the day I googled it!

I think about this game all the time and search for it every few months without any luck and it sounds like someone out there actually has a copy. I have an XP machine as well.

Is there any chance anyone could PM me about how I can get hold of a copy? Willing to pay a small fee of course if needed.

Any help would be appreciated beyond belief!

1 hour ago, Cj69 said:

Yeah copied those files into the GDW file.   It's a little nostalgia trip looking at the riders. Maybe only 6 still riding.  

I opened up the save game file in notepadd++ and was able to mess about with things. 

26 is Age - 1000 is Value - 3.46 is EL avg - 6.92 is PL avg. 

The rider names are in the in the files aswell 

Whilst another line of info is 

"Charlie Gjedde",18,23,4.45,8.89,0,4 - 23 being age - 4.45 EL avg - 8.89 Pl avg - 4 is Danish nationality 

It's all I've worked out so far

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sp33dy89 said:

I opened up the save game file in notepadd++ and was able to mess about with things. 

26 is Age - 1000 is Value - 3.46 is EL avg - 6.92 is PL avg. 

The rider names are in the in the files aswell 

Whilst another line of info is 

"Charlie Gjedde",18,23,4.45,8.89,0,4 - 23 being age - 4.45 EL avg - 8.89 Pl avg - 4 is Danish nationality 

It's all I've worked out so far

Once I manage to get hold of a copy of the game, I’m going to look into this too and try updating the British Leagues.  I remember looking at it years ago as a kid, without the knowledge I have now, so will be interesting to have another look.

7 minutes ago, Marksman said:

Once I manage to get hold of a copy of the game, I’m going to look into this too and try updating the British Leagues.  I remember looking at it years ago as a kid, without the knowledge I have now, so will be interesting to have another look.

Soon as we can find out what most of the data is exactly then updating riders wouldn't be too hard? (I hope)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sp33dy89 said:

Which games FS or Promoter. 

Flying Shale - you can only take control of one team, or none, but not all. Which means, the AI will do some weird stuff at some point which does have a an annoying tint on the overall game 

6 hours ago, mrlincolncity said:

I recently installed virtual box and got w98 up and running, I know its good because it will now run ultimate soccer manager 98/99 perfectly, if anyone needs help to enable old games to run on w10 give me a shout and if I can assist in any way I would gladly do so :cheers:

I have a W95 PC with the game installed - but I would like to know how to get the virtual machine running on my Windows 10 machine -  if you could explain how to do this - so I don't need to keep swapping out machines - plus I don't have a keyboard right now that will plug into my old W95 PC :-)

20 hours ago, mrlincolncity said:

Can't get the VM to run on my computer. Comes up with an error note when I attempt to run it.

1 hour ago, Welwyn said:

Can't get the VM to run on my computer. Comes up with an error note when I attempt to run it.

What's the error?