British Speedway Forum
TheSmiler

Speedway Promoter Game?

On 5/17/2020 at 9:02 AM, Welwyn said:

Can't get the VM to run on my computer. Comes up with an error note when I attempt to run it.

When I load the Virtual computer up it comes up with FATAL: No bootable medium found! System Halted."

Very quick guide how I got the game working.  Don't have computer to hand (wife using it for work) so apologies for any mistakes will double check this evening.

1. Install a VirtualBox (I used one from oracle). 

2. Download windowsXP (or 98 if preferred).  I googled 'Windows XP for Virtual Box' and found one pretty easy.  

3.  Run VirtualBox create new 'box' for windows XP. I followed all the steps and didn't change any settings (Used default settings). Was prompted to find downloaded Windows XP to load from (I put file on desktop for ease). 

4. Go through Windows installation (this took longest time for me).  

5. Once complete and running XP I installed Guest Additions (was found in the devices menu) 

6. Once guest additions installed I could drag the Speedway Promoter file (which was still compressed) from my win 10 desktop to XP desktop.  

7. Unzipped speedway promoter files then copied these into the GDW2002 folder under windows folder (found in my computer icon in start menu). 

8. Played game by opening from same folder copied files into. 

This is the way I done it. I am by no means an expert and others may have done it different and got it working. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very interested in how you lot are getting in with updating rider details. I will need to have a closer look once I get the computer back.  Glad to see after so long we have this game up and running.  

13 hours ago, MassMarauder said:

So when you get the editing done and files saved - maybe you could share them :-) ?

I need to learn this VB stuff...

I sure will once i get chance to go through it this week, unfortunately because we don't have access to the source code we are a little limited but still able to give a fairly comprehensive update :)

39 minutes ago, Cj69 said:

Very interested in how you lot are getting in with updating rider details. I will need to have a closer look once I get the computer back.  Glad to see after so long we have this game up and running.  

From what I see because I don't have the source code we just need to keep the format of 10 top flight and 14 2nd tier Clubs.

Each club needs a minimun of 7 riders assigned or it will crash.

A minimum of 333 riders has to be therefore in the game, consisting of;

Teams Riders 168
Unattached 56
Foreign 30
Retired 79

Can be more, but not less than those numbers :)

• Thanks 2

23 hours ago, MassMarauder said:

When you start to run a competition you get a choice, pick on team or none. That's it.

When you begin a competition you get a drop down box which gives you the option of choosing a team to control or 'control none'. This gives you control of every team. Even then on the match screen, next to each team's name is an icon, either an outline of a head or a computer. You can change these. The head icon for both teams means you control them both. Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chadster said:

When you begin a competition you get a drop down box which gives you the option of choosing a team to control or 'control none'. This gives you control of every team. Even then on the match screen, next to each team's name is an icon, either an outline of a head or a computer. You can change these. The head icon for both teams means you control them both. Hope this helps.

HA!  I didn't think that was the option being offered - I thought it meant you gave up control to the AI.  This changes the game !  Will give it a whirl tonite.

Thank you.

I've got everything running but I can't seem to sign any riders. I can see the transfer lists, and open each rider for history but that's all. Any ideas?

5 hours ago, daveallan81 said:

I've got everything running but I can't seem to sign any riders. I can see the transfer lists, and open each rider for history but that's all. Any ideas?

If for speedway promoter, when on transfer list. Click on your team name before clicking the riders name. 

• Like 1

Update is coming along well, maybe need some input on the following groups of riders in case I miss any obvious ones. If you have any suggestions shout up! @Sp33dy89 @MassMarauder @Cj69 + Anyone else interested.

Unattached - Current National league riders without a Championship club and new Australian riders on a 4 point average (at least 56 in total)
Foreign    - Foreign riders on assesed average who've never riden in the UK or didn't do enough meetings for an average (30+ in total)
Retired    - Not neccesarily Retired riders, Riders inactive from British Racing that currently have a UK average (79+ in total) Riders like Woffinden, Lindgren also to appear here.

A small selection of examples of these lists are below, started scouring Speedway Updates and the Rider history site (https://wwosbackup.proboards.com ) for names to use;

Only got as far as D for Denmark so far... these are about 50% of the names I have

Unattached

Max Ruml
Jacob Bukhave
Jedd List
Matthew Gilmore
Dakota Ballantyne
Fraser Bowes
Brayden McGuinness
Robert Medson
Jacob Hook
Zaine Kennedy
Declan Knowles
Cooper Riordan

Foreign

Ben Ernst
Eduard Krcmar
Jan Kvech
Zdenek Holub
Michael Hartel
Mikkel Michelsen
Andreas Lyager
Jonas Seifert
Jonas Jeppesen
Mattias Nielsen
Patrick Hansen

Retired

Gino Manzares
Aaron Fox
Emil Grondal
Hugh Skidmore
Arthur Sissis
Josef Franc
Hynek Stichauer
Zdenek Simota
Vaclav Milik
Anders Thomsen
Dawid Lampart
Bjarne Pedersen
Kevin Wolbert
Mads Korneliussen

Would it be worth sticking a couple of points on the average of a couple of those high-quality GP-caliber riders (Tai, Hancock? etc.) because they are above the level of their average when they were last in the EL as British league speedway has dropped.

I mean, what would Tai's last average be? 7 or something? 

Edited by Welwyn
  • Like 1

On 5/19/2020 at 8:56 AM, Sp33dy89 said:

If for speedway promoter, when on transfer list. Click on your team name before clicking the riders name. 

Can't believe after all the times I played the game I couldn't remember to do that. Now fully up and running, same old 'glitches' still happening for example:

Over-strength teams - you can't do it but the AI can

Ghost 4-2's - usual scenario one home rider excluded, the other placed third, your riders second and last, 4-2 to home team.

An opponent's rider only taking one ride.

Your injured rider being forced to take a second ride leaving you with just one rider in one heat, usually the last one.

Interested to know if anyone else experiences these or other 'glitches' and whether any of you PC whizz kids could sort them out?

1 hour ago, daveallan81 said:

Can't believe after all the times I played the game I couldn't remember to do that. Now fully up and running, same old 'glitches' still happening for example:

Interested to know if anyone else experiences these or other 'glitches' and whether any of you PC whizz kids could sort them out?

I've tried to look into the file but as far as I know it's in an old file format. Win16 or NE(new experience) exe.

I'm sure if anyone has knowledge of that kind of programming/software then the game could be updated more I would think. 

Could be completely wrong

On 5/20/2020 at 6:59 PM, Sp33dy89 said:

I've tried to look into the file but as far as I know it's in an old file format. Win16 or NE(new experience) exe.

I'm sure if anyone has knowledge of that kind of programming/software then the game could be updated more I would think. 

Could be completely wrong

It was suggested to me a long time ago that I'd actually played the programme way beyond it's limit. Hence glitches should be expected. They still happen on completely new games so I'm not so sure that's the reason but hey-ho

For anyone interested, I have found a way to run it in windows 10 - Slightly different from @Cj69 method of using a virtual machine

1. Download Winevdm latest version here - https://github.com/otya128/winevdm/releases and unzip the file, 

2. Download Visual C++ here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=52685 although you more than likely have this already if so skip this

3. Unzipped speedway promoter files then copied these into a GDW2002 folder under windows folder so you have this directory - C:\Windows\GDW2002

4. Once you have done the above run > otvdmw.exe from the folder you unzipped in step 1, then you will be prompted to open an exe file which will be the speedway promoter exe in GDW2002 folder. It may look like the mouse pointer is constantly loading but that's fine from what I have seen so far

Would this work better for any of you? @Marksman @MassMarauder

If there's any issues try leave the speedway promoter folder on desktop then run otvdmw.exe then when the box pops up then open SPE2002.EXE

Just done a quick video showing the steps I've mentioned and what it should look like working 

https://youtu.be/s9LftM8ZsMw

Edited by Sp33dy89
update - video
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sp33dy89 said:

For anyone interested, I have found a way to run it in windows 10 - Slightly different from @Cj69 method of using a virtual machine

1. Download Winevdm latest version here - https://github.com/otya128/winevdm/releases and unzip the file, 

2. Download Visual C++ here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=52685 although you more than likely have this already if so skip this

3. Unzipped speedway promoter files then copied these into a GDW2002 folder under windows folder so you have this directory - C:\Windows\GDW2002

4. Once you have done the above run > otvdmw.exe from the folder you unzipped in step 1, then you will be prompted to open an exe file which will be the speedway promoter exe in GDW2002 folder. It may look like the mouse pointer is constantly loading but that's fine from what I have seen so far

Would this work better for any of you? @Marksman @MassMarauder

Nice find cheers! I'll give it a go.

I'm about 70% done with the updated rider lists, so hopefully will be able to share this soon.

• Like 1