British Speedway Forum
TheSmiler

Speedway Promoter Game?

44 minutes ago, Sp33dy89 said:

For anyone interested, I have found a way to run it in windows 10 - Slightly different from @Cj69 method of using a virtual machine

1. Download Winevdm latest version here - https://github.com/otya128/winevdm/releases and unzip the file, 

2. Download Visual C++ here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/confirmation.aspx?id=52685 although you more than likely have this already if so skip this

3. Unzipped speedway promoter files then copied these into a GDW2002 folder under windows folder so you have this directory - C:\Windows\GDW2002

4. Once you have done the above run > otvdmw.exe from the folder you unzipped in step 1, then you will be prompted to open an exe file which will be the speedway promoter exe in GDW2002 folder. It may look like the mouse pointer is constantly loading but that's fine from what I have seen so far

Would this work better for any of you? @Marksman @MassMarauder

More methods that work the better.  Nice work!

• Like 1

Have the game installed a PC running Windows XP. The game is installed in a folder in C:Windows/GDW2000

Every time I try and run the game I get the following error:

"Application Error

SPEED20 caused a General Protection Fault in module SPE2000.EXE at 0001 :002c.

Choose close. SPEED20 will close"

Anyone have any ideas about how to fix this?

I have a modern HP Pavilion laptop with not CD/DVD drive. So I have an external one I plug into the laptop and a CD copy of the game. I'm stuggling to get to the files of the game, any ideas?

Tried the Winevdm method.  Nothing happens for me unfortunately. Clicked on the speedway exe and nothing happened, no error messages, nothing. On to the next option.

2020 Season Update is pretty much done, will share it with instructions very soon..

Took some doing trawling through the searching for Foreign, Retired and Unattached riders to use with all the current teams riders plus their age, averages and nationalities to add but once I started needed to finish it! 

353 new riders now added to the game, there's a few small limitations i.e. the Doubling up situation, a couple of missing nationalities and the Game requires 24 AI teams, meaning I had to improvise and add a few recently defunct clubs and National League Clubs in the 'Premier League' (Championship)

League lineup now looks like;

Elite League Clubs  (10)

Belle Vue Aces
    Ipswich Witches
    King's Lynn Stars
    Lakeside Hammers
    Peterborough Panthers
    Poole Pirates
    Somerset Rebels
    Sheffield Tigers
    Swindon Robins
    Wolverhampton Wolves    

Premier League Clubs  (15 including your team)

Berwick Bandits
    Birmingham Brummies
    Eastbourne Eagles
    Edinburgh Monarchs
    Glasgow Tigers
    Isle of Wight Warriors
    Kent Kings
    Leicester Lions
    Mildenhall Fen Tigers 
    Newcastle Diamonds
    Plymouth Gladiators
    Redcar Bears
    Scunthorpe Scorpions
    Workington Comets
    *YOUR TEAM*

Screenshots;

Season starts in March 2020

wZ0ElL8.png

A few examples of the 'Retired' Rider lists;

ZLY9dWq.png

vLsaVFI.png

tNfEPnw.png

5VsL9Gc.png

eZ0ywpH.png

hieoVxf.png

Premier League Transfer lists;

XveNRaS.png

Unattached Lists;

rFksqPj.png

KYH1c5l.png

Premier League End of Season averages/honours;

Li7hHet.png

BUPhtlN.png

A 2020 Team I managed to build;

oORZGmF.png

@MassMarauder @Cj69 @Sp33dy89 @daveallan81 @Welwyn @Chillman

Edited by Marksman
  • Thanks 3

Well done. 

I played around a little and of course put myself in the game with a realistic 9pt average :P

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MassMarauder said:

Tried the Winevdm method.  Nothing happens for me unfortunately. Clicked on the speedway exe and nothing happened, no error messages, nothing. On to the next option.

Did you run the otvdmw.exe then when the box pops up then open SPE2002.EXE if so and that doesn't work try have the speedway promoter folder on desktop and run first exe then speedway promoter

The update is going to be great, thanks @Marksman

Edited by Sp33dy89
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Marksman said:

2020 Season Update is pretty much done, will share it with instructions very soon..

Took some doing trawling through the searching for Foreign, Retired and Unattached riders to use with all the current teams riders plus their age, averages and nationalities to add but once I started needed to finish it! 

353 new riders now added to the game, there's a few small limitations i.e. the Doubling up situation, a couple of missing nationalities and the Game requires 24 AI teams, meaning I had to improvise and add a few recently defunct clubs and National League Clubs in the 'Premier League' (Championship)

I've followed this from a distance while you and the other clever buggers have been working on this.  Frankly am amazed at how you've all got so far with this..  i do hope it can be made available with the chance to donate a few beer tokens to say thanks.

Cracking work gents.

• Thanks 2

This really is tremendous stuff.

Just one tiny gripe though - how Josh Pickering costs less than Scott Nicholls, Ellis Perks or, to a lesser extent, Broc Nicol is beyond me!

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, King Jamie said:

This really is tremendous stuff.

Just one tiny gripe though - how Josh Pickering costs less than Scott Nicholls, Ellis Perks or, to a lesser extent, Broc Nicol is beyond me!

The values can be changed but it depends how Marksman has done it.

The game will also change them over time and I think it takes a few factors in to account over time

OK- I got the game to open on my work laptop which find Windows 10 Enterprise rather than Windows 10 Home.  However, it hangs when I try to load a new game.  Will continue to try.... can't wait to see the files in the game,

2 hours ago, MassMarauder said:

OK- I got the game to open on my work laptop which find Windows 10 Enterprise rather than Windows 10 Home.  However, it hangs when I try to load a new game.  Will continue to try.... can't wait to see the files in the game,

Just done a quick video showing the steps I've mentioned and what it should look like working 

https://youtu.be/s9LftM8ZsMw

2020 Update is here...

It can now be downloaded from this Dropbox link - https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxxywvs6cwn479r/Speedway Promoter 2020 Update.7z?dl=0

2 ways of getting this working, I would suggest downloading Notepad++ if you haven't already - https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/

The 2nd method is the best experience.

Option 1 (Easy method)

This method just involves copying over the files and a simple edit of the 2020.dat to edit to your Preferred team name.

Unzip and Copy all 3 files from the 'Speedway Promoter 2020 update folder, into your current GDW2002 game folder;

iTBXWgE.png

So it now looks like this;

bcx5A7C.png

Now open up the 2020 file with either Notepad or Notepad++ (Preferred)

BuHRhDH.png

Edit the line containing "ENTER YOUR TEAMNAME HERE" to Your Teamname, with or without quotes is fine.. (Line 2159 in Notepad++)

OgyFq8O.png

Then load up the 2020 Saved file within the Game and you are good to go..

Option 2 (Preferred Method)

This option is preferred as it gives a random fresh start to the Game each time, but requires a tiny bit more editing;

Unnzip and copy the ride2002.dat file into the game, load up Speedway Promoter and start a NEW Game

After starting a new game and configuring your options and Team name, instantly Save and Exit the game.

Load up the saved game in Notepad/Notepad++

Edit Line 133 in Notepad++ ; Edit the "2002" part to "2020"

qSTrdsL.png

The Last part is to edit the all of the Team Names to reflect the below, has to be in this order, you can simply copy and paste this list into the Notepad file so it looks like the below Before and After screenshots;

NOTE: Quotations are not required

Berwick
Belle Vue
Birmingham
Ipswich
King's Lynn
Eastbourne
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Isle of Wight
Lakeside
Kent
Peterborough
Poole
Leicester
Somerset
Sheffield
Swindon
Mildenhall 
Newcastle
Plymouth
Redcar
Scunthorpe
Wolverhampton
Workington

BEFORE;

8kSaXJJ.png

AFTER;

zmKTT3N.png

Let me know how you get on and if you spot any mistakes in the data :)

Edited by Marksman
New update
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excellent @Marksman

Will get the laptop and give this a go.  

• Like 1

Appear to be two Adam Ellis' in the game (1st time I loaded it, they were both on the Transfer List which made it easier to find). Have deleted one of the Adam Ellis' out of the file and it doesn't seem to crash though so that's good.

Also found a issue building an initial team. Partially due to a lot of riders having EL(Premiership) averages and no PL(Championship) averages when they should have. (Drew Kemp being a good example). No idea how to fix that although I'd imagine it'd be fixed the minute they rode 6 EL(Prem) meetings.

It's genius work though!

• Like 1