British Speedway Forum
TheSmiler

Speedway Promoter Game?

14 minutes ago, daveallan81 said:

I worked out how to change the team names years ago but never bothered tinkering with the riders list. How does the game generate new riders? Does it simply take a combination of first and last names from the rider list and produce a hybrid - Broc Crump for example? Or does it have another way of doing it?

Yeah in the .exe there are certain Generic Names and it uses some form of those combinations;

xD0tRNn.png

There are also certain other bits of text editable in the exe..

You can Edit the Home Screen info and Edit League Names to Premiership and Championship :)

Thanks for that.

Tell me more about editing the league names...just tried to edit the exe. using notepad and killed the thing completely :D

2 hours ago, daveallan81 said:

Thanks for that.

Tell me more about editing the league names...just tried to edit the exe. using notepad and killed the thing completely :D

Yeah it does that with the GFA basic code as it's pretty old language now, most of the old Amiga/Atari games from the mid 80's used it!

The general rule is you must replace the exact same number of characters as is listed in the exe.

i.e If you want to Replace "Premier League" with "Championship" you'll need to add 2 spaces at the beginning or the end.

"Premier League"

"  Championship"

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sp33dy89 said:

I've added the information for the file and added another 4 riders I think we could add without to much issues & Nick Agertoft 

Where the 1st number after the rider name, that can be changed depending on rider and team/list they being assigned

Patryk Dudek,29,27,8.00,13.00,1,21
Piotr Pawlicki,29,2,8.00,13.00,1,21
Przemyslaw Pawlicki,29,28,8.00,13.00,1,21
Joonas Kylmakorpi,29,40,7.27,13.00,1,6
Rune Holta,29,46,5.00,8.00,1,21
Christian Hefenbrock,29,35,5.00,8.09,1,10
Patrick Hougaard,29,31,6.76,11.00,0,4
Ales Dryml,29,40,5.00,8.00,1,22
Lukas Dryml,29,39,6.06,9.00,1,22
Aleksander Conda,29,37,8.10,13.00,1,24
Sebastien Tresarrieu,29,39,5.00,9.00,1,9
Oliver Allen,29,38,4.00,4.04,1,0
Simon Stead,29,38,5.00,8.74,1,0
Morten Risager,29,32,4.00,7.76,0,4
Chris Schramm,29,39,3.00,5.00,1,0
Lewis Blackbird,29,33,5.00,7.76,1,0
Leigh Lanham,29,42,4.00.00,5.58,1,0

Nick Agertoft,28,19,4.00,5.00,0,4
Max Fricke,29,22,8.81,13.00,0,13
Rafal Karczmarz,29,21,8.00,13.00,1,21
Wiktor Lampart,29,19,8.00,13.00,1,21
Antonio Lindback,29,35,8.50,13.00,1,5

Had already started trying to fix the issues. I have it working now. If I can work out how on earth you upload things to dropbox I will send it. Although I can send the base file by email in the meantime. 

3 hours ago, Welwyn said:

Had already started trying to fix the issues. I have it working now. If I can work out how on earth you upload things to dropbox I will send it. Although I can send the base file by email in the meantime. 

I've used Google drive. 

Although the file could be small enough to attach to a post here

21 hours ago, Marksman said:

Yeah it does that with the GFA basic code as it's pretty old language now, most of the old Amiga/Atari games from the mid 80's used it!

The general rule is you must replace the exact same number of characters as is listed in the exe.

i.e If you want to Replace "Premier League" with "Championship" you'll need to add 2 spaces at the beginning or the end.

"Premier League"

"  Championship"

So I couldn't change "Premier League" to "National League" because there would be one character too many? Or is there room for manoeuvre somewhere?

So tonight I had Anders Rowe on my team, beating Anders Rowe of Swindon in Heat 14.  And the breaking news is that Wolverhampton placed Broc Nicol on the transfer list, which is cute, as he is riding  # 2 in my team.

Serious question - I tried saving my current game as a new game with a different name and it crashed.  Tried doing it this a few times and it crashes\d each time. Should I follow the second option of installing the updates ?

4 hours ago, MassMarauder said:

So tonight I had Anders Rowe on my team, beating Anders Rowe of Swindon in Heat 14.  And the breaking news is that Wolverhampton placed Broc Nicol on the transfer list, which is cute, as he is riding  # 2 in my team.

Serious question - I tried saving my current game as a new game with a different name and it crashed.  Tried doing it this a few times and it crashes\d each time. Should I follow the second option of installing the updates ?

Did you update before starting the save, if not then you'll see double riders 

The game reads the save game names from a file titled names. Try check that and see if it's been updated with the different name. 

Method 2 imo might be worth a try. 

4 hours ago, Sp33dy89 said:

Did you update before starting the save, if not then you'll see double riders 

The game reads the save game names from a file titled names. Try check that and see if it's been updated with the different name. 

Method 2 imo might be worth a try. 

Yeah sorry, for some reason it'll crash now if you attempt to change the save file name within the game. So need to change the file name in the 'Names' file and the actual save game file in the folder.

I have managed to get the game onto my PC and have use @Sp33dy89  method of loading the game - which works! (well sort of). 

When my game loads, the screens just load on top of each other and eventually crash. See attached image. 

Any idea why this might be? Do I have a corrupt version of the game? The CD is very old! 

Capture.JPG

On 5/24/2020 at 8:07 PM, Marksman said:

2020 Update is here...

It can now be downloaded from this Dropbox link - https://www.dropbox.com/s/jxxywvs6cwn479r/Speedway Promoter 2020 Update.7z?dl=0

2 ways of getting this working, I would suggest downloading Notepad++ if you haven't already - https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/

The 2nd method is the best experience.

Option 1 (Easy method)

This method just involves copying over the files and a simple edit of the 2020.dat to edit to your Preferred team name.

Unzip and Copy all 3 files from the 'Speedway Promoter 2020 update folder, into your current GDW2002 game folder;

iTBXWgE.png

So it now looks like this;

bcx5A7C.png

Now open up the 2020 file with either Notepad or Notepad++ (Preferred)

BuHRhDH.png

Edit the line containing "ENTER YOUR TEAMNAME HERE" to Your Teamname, with or without quotes is fine.. (Line 2159 in Notepad++)

OgyFq8O.png

Then load up the 2020 Saved file within the Game and you are good to go..

Option 2 (Preferred Method)

This option is preferred as it gives a random fresh start to the Game each time, but requires a tiny bit more editing;

Unnzip and copy the ride2002.dat file into the game, load up Speedway Promoter and start a NEW Game

After starting a new game and configuring your options and Team name, instantly Save and Exit the game.

Load up the saved game in Notepad/Notepad++

Edit Line 133 in Notepad++ ; Edit the "2002" part to "2020"

qSTrdsL.png

The Last part is to edit the all of the Team Names to reflect the below, has to be in this order, you can simply copy and paste this list into the Notepad file so it looks like the below Before and After screenshots;

NOTE: Quotations are not required

Berwick
Belle Vue
Birmingham
Ipswich
King's Lynn
Eastbourne
Edinburgh
Glasgow
Isle of Wight
Lakeside
Kent
Peterborough
Poole
Leicester
Somerset
Sheffield
Swindon
Mildenhall 
Newcastle
Plymouth
Redcar
Scunthorpe
Wolverhampton
Workington

BEFORE;

8kSaXJJ.png

AFTER;

zmKTT3N.png

Let me know how you get on and if you spot any mistakes in the data :)

Would you be prepared to use team viewer (if that's still a thing) and take control of my laptop to see if you could install the game and then the update for me. I am totally useless at anything like this. Kind regards.

1 hour ago, teaboy279 said:

Would you be prepared to use team viewer (if that's still a thing) and take control of my laptop to see if you could install the game and then the update for me. I am totally useless at anything like this. Kind regards.

I don't mind doing so if need be.

Have you done the bit I mentioned about winevdm?

19 minutes ago, Sp33dy89 said:

I don't mind doing so if need be.

Have you done the bit I mentioned about winevdm?

could do with your help too!!!