British Speedway Forum
TheSmiler

Speedway Promoter Game?

Speedway Promoter was so much fun

With a bit of updating and a bit more in depth everyone would be happy.

Edited by Hamster00
  • Like 1

Someone needs to do something, this must be the only sport in the world that doesn't have any sort of game.

• Like 1

Would be good to see a speedway promoter game released on ios and android phones. Surely a good market to capture for speedway fans and non speedway fans. Currently playing to f1 manager games on ios which don't have real names but loving the playability of them. Surely some ideas could be takin from them games

• Like 1

Some decent efforts historically, but always proprietary and/or on legacy or obsolete platforms. It's also remarkable that it's never yet been done for smartphones/tablets - could ease boredom during 'sun breaks'...

What's needed here is an open source project or two, using cross-platform open source technologies.

• Like 1

I stand corrected! Looks like it's freemium so there could still be a place for an open source 'Speedway Manager' game if the will is there.

I stand corrected! Looks like it's freemium so there could still be a place for an open source 'Speedway Manager' game if the will is there.

Advertising-supported rather than freemium.

Not the same, of course, and no solo variant as far as I know, but MCS is an excellent speedway card game for two or four players.

There's a video run through here.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/139728/mcs

Edit: The highly-rated football card game Hat-Trick is from the same stable.

Edited by Fourentee
  • Like 1

Wonder if a card type game could be converted to a phone game? Cards dealt by Bluetooth?

Any mileage in that?

I'd be the last one to ask but I would have thought an AI system could work well there. But I suspect, as per the running theme through this thread, that cost vs market would be the issue.

While looking for something else entirely (as is the way) I found the instructions for League Champions 2 on the old, much loved Commodore Amiga. Very much text-based and so was low in the graphics dept, each race consisted of riders viewed side-on travelling in a straight line for 60 seconds or so with seemingly random position changes. But the building and improving of the stadium and team, then making tac subs (remember them?) and team changes to eventually win the league brought hours of team-managing fun. And I seem to recall it ony cost a fiver or so. Apparently one of the first 'league winners' was a certain Stephen Purchase.....

Edited by Martin Mauger

. Apparently one of the first 'league winners' was a certain Stephen Purchase.....

......which perhaps shows how unrealistic it was :wink:

Edited by rmc

Have you ever played the board game Speedway Scene 2? It's what Flying Shale was based on.

Each rider is graded from A+ down to N I think from memory. It was a simple die roll system, where you would roll 2 dice and check the chart of your riders grade to see the result.. The higher the grade of rider, the more spaces they would advance.. some of the numbers would result in some form of problem being encountered such as a fall, engine failure etc.

You could use a similar system, but then tailor it a little further per rider, making some better gaters, some more able to overtake on the inside/outside etc... then add a formula in to adjust that result dependant upon the particular track etc.

Somewhere back at home I've actually got a very developed system doing just that that accounted for riders ability, the staging track, weather conditions etc that could be quite easily adapted into a computer game.. When I was about 13/14 I would spend hours working on it to get it as realistic as possible!

I know a small (very small now) amount of programming and have produced a very very basic simulation of a race using some of those formulas but that's it. I don't have a clue how to take it further and incorporate all the other features of a management game.

Q. If an Open Source 'Speedway Manager' project were to be established, would you be willing to submit these formulae for its consideration?

To re-iterate a point I raised earlier: the glaring gap here is that there's no open source project. No 'Speedway Manager' on GitHub that fans can download, playtest, ask for tweaks and enhancements on, etc.

I don't know of a single Speedway game project where the developer(s) weren't labouring under the delusion that they might get a few bob out of a Speedway game...? Thus, when they realise it will give them bugger all money, they give up. Their ideas, algorithms, formulae, are then lost to the world, on a legacy proprietary platform and no-one can even SEE their code, let alone try to port it.

Then, years later, some Tom Dick or Harikrishna with software development skills spots the gap in the market...starts re-inventing the 'Speedway Manager' wheel...realises how hard it is vs sod-all income from it...gives up...their ideas and formulae remain hidden to the world...

So many Open Source projects begin by standing on the shoulders of giants: taking some great proprietary/commercial projects as a starting point but then taking them to new heights - with the software free to anyone who wants it.

Q. Are any organisations/individuals reading this post willing to offer up previous code/algorithms to a hypothetical new Open Source 'Speedway Manager' project?

Q. If an Open Source 'Speedway Manager' project were to be established, would you be willing to submit these formulae for its consideration?

To re-iterate a point I raised earlier: the glaring gap here is that there's no open source project. No 'Speedway Manager' on GitHub that fans can download, playtest, ask for tweaks and enhancements on, etc.

I don't know of a single Speedway game project where the developer(s) weren't labouring under the delusion that they might get a few bob out of a Speedway game...? Thus, when they realise it will give them bugger all money, they give up. Their ideas, algorithms, formulae, are then lost to the world, on a legacy proprietary platform and no-one can even SEE their code, let alone try to port it.

Then, years later, some Tom Dick or Harikrishna with software development skills spots the gap in the market...starts re-inventing the 'Speedway Manager' wheel...realises how hard it is vs sod-all income from it...gives up...their ideas and formulae remain hidden to the world...

So many Open Source projects begin by standing on the shoulders of giants: taking some great proprietary/commercial projects as a starting point but then taking them to new heights - with the software free to anyone who wants it.

Q. Are any organisations/individuals reading this post willing to offer up previous code/algorithms to a hypothetical new Open Source 'Speedway Manager' project?

Yes, letting others share the project via Open Source is would be great but I suspect people haven't given up because they couldn't see a profit. It's far more likely they got a message from Go Speed asking 'where's our cut?'

• Like 1