British Speedway Forum
SarahLapworth

The Future Of The Elite League

I'm looking forward to winter 2014/15 its gonna be the big wake up call to UK speedway bosses & the steps taken to kick start a bright future shall be taken.......

Any suggestions !

I am still of the opinion that for the Elite League to survive then the promoters must start to negotiate with their landlords with the view that we have Monday nights for all Elite League meetings, But I can hear them shouting that it is impossible, but it’s not impossible at the moment if Sky want to televise their meeting.

It will also be beneficial for the fans that will be able to watch top English & continental riders in their teams and paying Elite League prices to see genuine top class speedway instead of paying top rates to watch mostly Premier & National League riders.

The fast track system is not working except for the few riders that were going to make it anyway, but from what I have seen there are a lot of national league riders tied up in this fast track system that are losing their confidence and their heads are beginning to hang very low which proves that this is a step too far.

In my opinion the fast track could have worked with both leagues by giving two British premier league riders the chance to prove themselves as reserves in the elite league and two national league riders as reserves in the premier league which is the way rider progression should work.

• Like 4

The fast track rule is one of the most ridiculous rules ever and really doesn't do anything to actually help the progress of riders,,,people might say it does, but it doesn't....it is purely a cost cutting watering down rule and the fast track riders themselves generally get harder rides in the Premier League which will bring them on quicker than this false fast track rule brought in

I don't think the top stars will flock back to Britain even if the Elite goes one night only, which I can't see happening anyway....this isn't just the Grand Prix but mainly due to the growth of the European leagues...whilst the Polish and Swedish leagues are there then the British League is always going to be third for a lot of top riders regardless of race days , one race night etc

Unfortunately I don't think people are going to be attracted back to speedway , there are too many counter attractions now and the product isn't strong enough....I don't know what the answer is...answers should have been found a long time ago but weren't

Might as well give it all up now then in your mind Bruiser!! lol

The fast track rule is one of the most ridiculous rules ever and really doesn't do anything to actually help the progress of riders,,,people might say it does, but it doesn't....it is purely a cost cutting watering down rule and the fast track riders themselves generally get harder rides in the Premier League which will bring them on quicker than this false fast track rule brought in

I don't think the top stars will flock back to Britain even if the Elite goes one night only, which I can't see happening anyway....this isn't just the Grand Prix but mainly due to the growth of the European leagues...whilst the Polish and Swedish leagues are there then the British League is always going to be third for a lot of top riders regardless of race days , one race night etc

Unfortunately I don't think people are going to be attracted back to speedway , there are too many counter attractions now and the product isn't strong enough....I don't know what the answer is...answers should have been found a long time ago but weren't

I never agreed with the fast track rule, but i have supported it and to be fair i have enjoyed watching the likes of Sarjeant,Rose,Greaves make progress.Kerr,Garrity,Newman in my mind are not included in this, as they had exsperience and were good anough anyway.For the future i have no idea to be honest, i personally would cut costs be prudent and concentrate on just putting on a good nights entertainment making us feel it was value for money.

I never agreed with the fast track rule, but i have supported it and to be fair i have enjoyed watching the likes of Sarjeant,Rose,Greaves make progress.Kerr,Garrity,Newman in my mind are not included in this, as they had exsperience and were good anough anyway.For the future i have no idea to be honest, i personally would cut costs be prudent and concentrate on just putting on a good nights entertainment making us feel it was value for money.

Lewis Kerr with his 1 season of PL racing had "experience"? Even Garrity only had 2 seasons of PL racing.

I am still of the opinion that for the Elite League to survive then the promoters must start to negotiate with their landlords with the view that we have Monday nights for all Elite League meetings, But I can hear them shouting that it is impossible, but it’s not impossible at the moment if Sky want to televise their meeting.

It will also be beneficial for the fans that will be able to watch top English & continental riders in their teams and paying Elite League prices to see genuine top class speedway instead of paying top rates to watch mostly Premier & National League riders.

The fast track system is not working except for the few riders that were going to make it anyway, but from what I have seen there are a lot of national league riders tied up in this fast track system that are losing their confidence and their heads are beginning to hang very low which proves that this is a step too far.

In my opinion the fast track could have worked with both leagues by giving two British premier league riders the chance to prove themselves as reserves in the elite league and two national league riders as reserves in the premier league which is the way rider progression should work.

One night a week may or may not bring the top liners back to Britain but if it's a Monday it won't. Belle Vue and Wolves riders know the deal before they sign but the rest prefer to go from Poland to Sweden direct not via GB.

Edited by Vincent Blackshadow

Spot on, falcace... as always.

No wonder those on the Belle Vue Unofficial site used to say we were the same people!

Cos there aren't enough British riders around. Does no-one read other people's posts.

You obviously have a problem with understanding other people's posts. The point was, if there is no legal restriction in the NL why can't the PL introduce a scheme whereby, say, 2 British riders were at reserve. If you think that there aren't enough British riders for that to work, start with one, the next season make it two etc. This would give an incentive to get British riders coming through and not drop them at the first opportunity.

One night a week may or may not bring the top liners back to Britain but if it's a Monday it won't. Belle Vue and Wolves riders know the deal before they sign but the rest prefer to go from Poland to Sweden direct not via GB.

Surely the main thing about having the set race night on a Monday it's to make sure that teams are at full strength rather that the sort of team Eastie are putting up tonight at Poole .. if it has the added bonus of making teams stronger then all well and good .

Edited by orion

Monday is the worst day of the week to schedule meetings for.

First day back at work, kids back to school, bit tired and skint after the weekend. Even in the good old days few clubs elected to run on Mondays (Reading did though).

Monday is only being suggested because it's the only remaining day available, no other country opted for Mondays and for good reason. It won't be viable.

Guess what my favourite Boomtown Rats song is?

Guess what my favourite Boomtown Rats song is?

Rat Trap ?

quote name="SCB" post="2506964" timestamp="1409132645"]Lewis Kerr with his 1 season of PL racing had "experience"? Even Garrity only had 2 seasons of PL racing.

[/quote). Lets be honest we all knew those two with Blackbird,Ellis,Newman were the best riders in the draft, the rest are miles behind.Sarjeant,Rose,Greaves, have shown promise and have stuck at it and progressed.The five i named would of been good anough maybe in a tougher EL as a number seven but with the format the way it is with the two programmed rides against the other draft riders would you not exspect them to do well.?There next test is to show they can hold there own in a one to five on a regular basis, a tough ask but it would be great if some could do it.

Edited by sidney

Surely the main thing about having the set race night on a Monday it's to make sure that teams are at full strength rather that the sort of team Eastie are putting up tonight at Poole .. if it has the added bonus of making teams stronger then all well and good .

Depends if you include the top continental riders in this 'full strength' scenario, as the poster I quoted was. Most of the top continentals would opt out of riding here if Monday was the race night.