British Speedway Forum
SCB

Swedish El Vs British Pl

Always the British match for me no matter what league. Just can get into the Poland and Swedish matches as I don't know the teams .

• Like 2

Swedish speedway for me,because it is on tv whereas PL isn't.Now if i had the choice i might well have chosen PL.Depends on the teams and riders.But i am not a big watcher of speedway on tv anyway.It'll be on,but i doubt i will give it 100% attention.I might even join some on here in posting stuff like "big off" and "what a race that was" or "this is pretty crap even though there are big stars in both teams,i'd rather watch PL".....sadly i can't join in the slagging off of the commentators as we have different ones here.Probably Tobi Kroner,who makes a better commentator than a rider :P

Will be watching the Swedish match as I don't feel the need to pay extra for SKY Sports when plenty of better racing on Eurosport.

I feel the same way the teams mean nothing to me. The racing is just the same as it is over here, with most of the races being won from the tapes up by the rider with the fastest reaction time and the better bike set up.

Until they do something to change the bikes then all meetings will carry on in this fashion.

• Like 2

Would rather watch the PL

Will maybe watch the Swedish league meeting & then switch over when PL meeting is due to start

When waqs it that things started to change. I think it was the late 70's or or early 80's. Up until then. It was mainly a part time amatuer sport. Where riders rode for the love of the sport. with a rider sitting in his shed at the bottom of the garden tinkering with his back when he got home from a hard days work. Then strapping it on the back of his old van or car and setting off for a meeting.

Then along came the drop down engines and a new era amerged.

With bikes becoming much faster and some of the big names using some of the top engine tuners to get thier bikes in top order.

Along came the GP'S and the big stars started to emerge, with it along came some big sponsers and they found out that they could call the shots with the promoters for racing at thier club. I think some of them ride now not so much out a love of the sport, don't get it wrong they still enjoy it but the love love has gone.

It is now a matter of how much money can be earned, with some riding for 4 or 5 different clubs around the world.

Gone are the days of one man and his bike it is now one man and his 6 or 7 bikes scattered at different work shops around the world. With team of machanics to get them ready for racing at any given time. With the top engine tuners preparing thier engines.

Until we get some sense back into the sport and aleter the engines and make them so they could only be prepared by the firms that make them and to a single specification.

Then do we get back to days of close racing instead of what we have now.

Speedway in this country doe's not have to relay on the big worlds top riders. What it doe's relay on is some good riders that will give us entertainment.

• Like 2

I didn't even realise there was any Speedway on TV tonight at all!

So I'm grateful for this thread!

I watch Speedway on Sky Go, so I will possibly watch a bit of the Swedish Speedway, but will probably switch it over at 7.30pm. Seen some Swedish stuff in the past but find it harder to get into.

W.T.C. was on Quest as well and also on Wednesday and Thursday. :t::cheers:

When waqs it that things started to change. I think it was the late 70's or or early 80's. Up until then. It was mainly a part time amatuer sport. Where riders rode for the love of the sport. with a rider sitting in his shed at the bottom of the garden tinkering with his back when he got home from a hard days work. Then strapping it on the back of his old van or car and setting off for a meeting.

Then along came the drop down engines and a new era amerged.

With bikes becoming much faster and some of the big names using some of the top engine tuners to get thier bikes in top order.

Along came the GP'S and the big stars started to emerge, with it along came some big sponsers and they found out that they could call the shots with the promoters for racing at thier club. I think some of them ride now not so much out a love of the sport, don't get it wrong they still enjoy it but the love love has gone.

It is now a matter of how much money can be earned, with some riding for 4 or 5 different clubs around the world.

Gone are the days of one man and his bike it is now one man and his 6 or 7 bikes scattered at different work shops around the world. With team of machanics to get them ready for racing at any given time. With the top engine tuners preparing thier engines.

Until we get some sense back into the sport and aleter the engines and make them so they could only be prepared by the firms that make them and to a single specification.

Then do we get back to days of close racing instead of what we have now.

Speedway in this country doe's not have to relay on the big worlds top riders. What it doe's relay on is some good riders that will give us entertainment.

Here we go again. :mad:

No its not here we go again it is the plain truth. I people can't see it then that has what has gone really wrong with the sport and the fans. They just can't face up to the facts.

No its not here we go again it is the plain truth. I people can't see it then that has what has gone really wrong with the sport and the fans. They just can't face up to the facts.

Or get sick of some tired oldies repeating it ad norsium. Change the blo*dy record.

Sounds like tsunami is have a bit of a tropicle storm. Just face the facts watching 4 riders going around the track, that are like an episode of Majic Roundabout, is just not very exiting. Most of the GP's are like this now. We see the odd good race but even most of the other race are won from the tapes, with the other 3 following along, Like they are stuck in a set of cones on the M1 on a Friday night. No thanks I would rather see some good tight competative racing.

Sounds like tsunami is have a bit of a tropicle storm. Just face the facts watching 4 riders going around the track, that are like an episode of Majic Roundabout, is just not very exiting. Most of the GP's are like this now. We see the odd good race but even most of the other race are won from the tapes, with the other 3 following along, Like they are stuck in a set of cones on the M1 on a Friday night. No thanks I would rather see some good tight competative racing.

Just like the 'old days' that never existed. My recollections, and film of the time backs it up, shows it didn't happen then just the same as it doesn't happen every race now.

But I don't harp on about it. :nono:

• Like 5

Afraid I've got to agree with Tsunami. I can't recall the racing being any better years ago than it is now - just a mixture of a few good races, the rest a bit processional and a nail biting exciting one if we were lucky. I've got a couple of Leicester v Coventry videos from 1982 and apart from the close score and the obvious rivalry the matches were nothing special. Same with the Wembley 1981 World Final that everyone seems to rave about - play it back and the racing wasn't that brilliant, apart from 3 or 4 races. I'm old and have been a fan since 1949 but I definitely don't yearn for the 'old days' or one off World Finals. What's wrong with speedway now is not down to the racing but many other things which have been discussed over and over again on the forum so I won't repeat them. It would also probably mean me saying that dreaded word 'Poole' at some point so I won't bother.

• Like 3

The quality of racing in the gps is, generally speaking, miles better than the old world finals. Partly due to the fact that all riders have something to race for every heat, and you dont have a quarter/third of the field being sub-standard riders.
  • Like 1