British Speedway Forum
SCB

Swedish El Vs British Pl

I quite enjoy sitting and watching "good old days" speedway on video and more recently youtube - but in the main, it was as dull, boring, slick, unprofessional and downright crap as it can be these days. But the other half the time it was wild, exciting and controversial - bit like today! The only differences I see are that they had crowds back then and crowds make noise and atmosphere and that will always make people think something is better. Its why we enthuse about Cardiff - its not the racing but the fact there 45,000 of us going mad. Watch it at home with the sound of and it's just another meeting.

I quite enjoy sitting and watching "good old days" speedway on video and more recently youtube - but in the main, it was as dull, boring, slick, unprofessional and downright crap as it can be these days. But the other half the time it was wild, exciting and controversial - bit like today! The only differences I see are that they had crowds back then and crowds make noise and atmosphere and that will always make people think something is better. Its why we enthuse about Cardiff - its not the racing but the fact there 45,000 of us going mad. Watch it at home with the sound of and it's just another meeting.

So it's up to us to create the atmosphere :) Get out the drums, have a drink and chant and sing aka Poland :)

So it's up to us to create the atmosphere :) Get out the drums, have a drink and chant and sing aka Poland :)

In part yes. But thats where good presentation works. If you have a great race that has the fans on there feet going mad, having a 10 minute gap while the trackman does some work and playing a big of easy listening mellow music will kill all the atmosphere.

Spot on post big crowds make any sporting event feel better than it is .. When you go to speedway these days even Wolves that used to be quite nasty is dead .

The memory of great tracks and passing in every race in the old days is a bit of a myth .

• Like 3

In part yes. But thats where good presentation works. If you have a great race that has the fans on there feet going mad, having a 10 minute gap while the trackman does some work and playing a big of easy listening mellow music will kill all the atmosphere.

TOTALLY agree, hence you need someone with passion for the sport out on the centre green/grey! :-) And track staff who whilst doing their job professionally also show unity when the home team are doing good :-)

I feel, and it is my opinion folks, that the first two or three years you watch speedway are the best. After that, you begin to notice the things that used to keep you entertained.. are no longer as entertaining as they used to be. It is like a perfume or air freshener, you get immune to it and the fizz isn't as attracting as it used to be.

In saying that, give me the olden days over now.

I'm not saying my taste or smell was better back then, but there was a sense of a more fun sport, no thrills or gizzmos on bikes or on riders' racing attire, just seemed to be more thrills on the 70 seconds over four laps. More unpredictable.

Arguments will be endless, but the bygone days are more appealing when I want to read about speedway or watch footage.

• Like 2

...big crowds make any sporting event feel better than it is ..

Not sure that a big crowd makes an event feel better than it is. More like a big crowd turns the event into what it is. i.e. an evening of entertainment.

it comes down to whether speedway is best optimised as a live event to be enjoyed in the stadium by those there, or whether it is to be optimised for television coverage.

Having been stood frozen on the terraces whilst SkySports have their interviews, play adverts, then more interviews etc etc, I know I'd rather that the sport be optimised for the fans in the stadiums, and the TV presentation worked around that, than the alternative. It's a formula that works in Poland and could be better for us here.

A recipe for genocide. All those grannies and grandads dying of heart attacks and shock on race nights. British fans aren't in the prime of their youth any more!

• Like 2

After a decade and half of live speedway on television, I would much rather all the heats put into a 60 minute package for airing later that night or that week.

The novelty of live speedway has long passed and I hate the needless gaps between heats, makes me wanna get up and do something completely different. It is quite off putting.

That's actually putting off this sad individual watching in the comfort, warmth of my own four walls. What does it say when there's 20 minute gaps between heats and you're freezing your Terry Tulloch's off in a breezy stadium?

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 4

After a decade and half of live speedway on television, I would much rather all the heats put into a 60 minute package for airing later that night or that week.

The novelty of live speedway has long passed and I hate the needless gaps between heats, makes me wanna get up and do something completely different. It is quite off putting.

That's actually putting off this sad individual watching in the comfort, warmth of my own four walls. What does it say when there's 20 minute gaps between heats and you're freezing your Terry Tulloch's off in a breezy stadium?

Well said, however many of todays fans will question "Terry Tulloch's" who's he! well he was one of the many Neil Street protégées unfortunately when he started to knock-up the points big time he packed up returned to Aussie to shoot kangaroos......known as TT.

• Like 1

Terry Tulloch... you don't even get names like that anymore, so the sport is less attractive for it!

Remember him racing for Weymouth in the late-70s.

I feel, and it is my opinion folks, that the first two or three years you watch speedway are the best. After that, you begin to notice the things that used to keep you entertained.. are no longer as entertaining as they used to be. It is like a perfume or air freshener, you get immune to it and the fizz isn't as attracting as it used to be.

In saying that, give me the olden days over now.

I'm not saying my taste or smell was better back then, but there was a sense of a more fun sport, no thrills or gizzmos on bikes or on riders' racing attire, just seemed to be more thrills on the 70 seconds over four laps. More unpredictable.

Arguments will be endless, but the bygone days are more appealing when I want to read about speedway or watch footage.

Depends how old you are really.

Saw him race at Weymouth in the late 70's. Always made a point of going to watch them when I was down there when they raced at the old Radipole Lake stadiumm. Shame when they stopped racing have been in touch with them but can't get an answer from them saying if they ever plan to get back racing.

Terry Tulloch... you don't even get names like that anymore, so the sport is less attractive for it!

Remember him racing for Weymouth in the late-70s.

Was he a Phil Crump protege? see him a few times had rides at Swindon had ability.

The quality of racing in the gps is, generally speaking, miles better than the old world finals. Partly due to the fact that all riders have something to race for every heat, and you dont have a quarter/third of the field being sub-standard riders.

You have a point about the series it is a great product but for me the one off final still beats it certainly for atmosphere.As for the league racing, i still believe the good ol days were miles better then, there were BETTER riders more of them the old BL was the best in the world.Today the EL is second rate to be honest a very average product,no comparison to the old days of most teams having three top heat leaders and often having a regular 1/7 supporters could identify with. Edited by sidney

You need to stand with different people, they're obviously a bore lol
  • Like 1

You need to stand with different people, they're obviously a bore lol

Last time I visited a speedway venue... and, judging by the crowds I see on live TV matches... the person I stood next to, was usually a 10-minute walk away in either direction.

Edited by moxey63
  • Like 1