British Speedway Forum

I don't know if this is of significance but Darcy is listed to ride as nr5 on Tuesday. :blink:

I keep reading about Darcy being young and living half a world away from home - diddums! He made the choice to come to the uk & race here, as have numerous other young Aussies do they keep getting into trouble?

Darcy knows the terms and conditions of racing be it an fim event or domestic racing. He had a choice when he had a drink last night & his actions should and will have consequences.

It's not just other riders he could have put in danger there are medics and marshals etc.

• Like 1

I find it incredible that people are making excuses for Ward...there are no excuses..full stop....being 22 is not an excuse...hearing bad news is not an excuse....there are no excuses and he should be banned for the rest of this season at least and from next years series as well..

There are too many apologists for Ward , and certainly so within his close circle..it needs a lengthy ban to maybe make him see sense and it certainly needs somebody like Middleditch to actually stand up to him and say he is an idiot...being surrounded by apologists and yes men is the worse thing that can happen to anybody and in the long run will do Ward no favours at all

• Like 7

As a professional speedway rider, Ward is presumably happy to take the rewards that his talent brings. Competing at the highest level in professional sport also places responsibility on the participants. He must therefore accept the consequences of his actions if he breaks the rules. There is no realistic mitigation for failing an alcohol test.

I don't know if this is of significance but Darcy is listed to ride as nr5 on Tuesday. :blink:

That will remain true until his FIM meeting tomorrow.

• Like 1

I'm not condoning any rider having alcohol in his system but do we know how much alcohol there was ?. In many sports the reading to stop a participant racing is lower than allowed to drive a car in the UK.

If he was over the drink/drive limit then it's a very sad day but maybe the reading was low. It would be good to know the facts before being too harsh on Darcy Ward.

• Like 2

I'm not condoning any rider having alcohol in his system but do we know how much alcohol there was ?. In many sports the reading to stop a participant racing is lower than allowed to drive a car in the UK.

If he was over the drink/drive limit then it's a very sad day but maybe the reading was low. It would be good to know the facts before being too harsh on Darcy Ward.

What on earth has the drink driving limit gotta do with it ?

• Like 2

But you are a wally even now never mind at 22.

In the real world a glass or two of wine or a couple of beers would not have been an issue but to stlll be in his system by midday darcy will have had a sight more than that and/ or been still drinking into the early hours.

I doubt his career can be saved from here, for sure a ban will result

We have already been told that if tested, there is virtually a zero tolerance to any alcohol in the blood stream! So yes, there would have been a trace mid-day. Doesn't mean he would have been a danger, doesn't mean he wouldn't have won the meeting. It is the typical British attitude, build someone up and take great delight in seeing them tumble. I hope you are enjoying your cocoa Oldace, in your fluffy slippers!

• Like 1

No excuses his reading like every other rider should be ZERO

• Like 1

It has no connection to the drink/drive limit. Speedway sets a lower level because it's a dangerous sport that demands the highest level of alertness and concentration.

• Like 1

What on earth has the drink driving limit gotta do with it

We have no idea how much alcohol was in his system. I'm looking for a comparison. that is all.

It doesn't matter if the reading was low. The facts are he failed an alcohol test. A little or a lot over the limit makes no difference

It has no connection to the drink/drive limit. Speedway sets a lower level because it's a dangerous sport that demands the highest level of alertness and concentration.

and driving a car at 70mph doesn't.?

I'm not condoning but just seeking a comparison

It doesn't matter if the reading was low. The facts are he failed an alcohol test. A little or a lot over the limit makes no difference

it does make a difference as it shoiws the level of the problem.

• Like 1

and driving a car at 70mph doesn't.?

I'm not condoning but just seeking a comparison

Yes of course it does. There is no comparison though, and to try to draw one is pointless.

We have already been told that if tested, there is virtually a zero tolerance to any alcohol in the blood stream! So yes, there would have been a trace mid-day. Doesn't mean he would have been a danger, doesn't mean he wouldn't have won the meeting. It is the typical British attitude, build someone up and take great delight in seeing them tumble. I hope you are enjoying your cocoa Oldace, in your fluffy slippers!

Zero tolerance doesnt have to mean teetotal, although for a professional sportsman it is preferable. A glass or two if wine or beer late afternoon/ early evening the day before a match would show no trace by early afternoon the next day. Ward clearly had somewhat more and 22 or not deserves everything he gets