British Speedway Forum

Really? So hes banned for next season...you think he'll be counting the days till he can resume his speedway career? Of course he won't - he'll probably be lost to the sport. What he needs is PROPER guidance from his peers and ex-riders like Crumpy .

I'm assuming you enjoy watching him ride, as a lot of people do - whether they're his fans or not - so from a speedway point of view it would surely be better if he was able to continue?

Unless of course you're one of those strange people* who delights in seeing someone talented fall flat on their face?

* Oh look - there's one! :icon_smile_clown:

Thank you for the information - makes a change to see FACTS on here.

How many chance do you want to give him? He's had way to many already and its time he pays the price for his actions. As far as proper guidance goes he's had plenty but it hasn't sunk in as he always has a way to get away scot free Edited by sm00th

Why do you say this? Do you think he has some other career that he would be itching to move into if his speedway one was put on hold for a year?

Obviously Havvy was banned for a year for his drugs offence and he did sit and count the days until he could race again, then went off and won the World Title. There is absolutely no reason why Darcy couldn't do the same IF he does receive a ban.

No just guessing - but there were rumours (on here probably) that he was getting fed-up with speedway anyway so its possibly an inspired guess?

I haven't seen one rider condone what Darcy Ward did. I wonder if that's cos it's their lives on the line. If in doubt read Steve Hones post 2 above this one.

Fans entertainment comes a very poor second to rider safety.

Don't suppose they would condone it no (nor do they condone dangerous riding but there's a few that do it and seem to get away with it with minimal punishment) and I'd be highly surprised if Darcy Ward was remotely 'drunk' at the time of the test - he just didn't meet the test requirements and was unlucky enough to be tested. So its highly contentious to presume that he would have endangered another rider whereas there were riders in today's GP that are regularly 'rougher' than others even without alcohol!

And Steve said 'something illegal' which I assume doesn't mean alcohol.

Edited by Star Fever

Darcy must be around Chris Holder and the other GP boys,but i just dont understand him having Alcohol on a GP weekend,Surely Holder or whoever must see this and warn him of his actions.Also being sponsored by Monster,why the hell didnt he drink their products to stop him dehydrating? ITS LABELLED MONSTER ENERGY so if any drink can do the trick that can.

Does anyone else think that there must be some other staff mixed in to get a bad test,i cant see Dacy sitting in a public resturant with the GP circus in town drinking alcohol,surely hes not that stupid!!

:shock: ????? :shock::blink:

Does anyone else think that there must be some other staff mixed in to get a bad test,i cant see Dacy sitting in a public resturant with the GP circus in town drinking alcohol,surely hes not that stupid!!

Didn't stop him last year in the restaurant and bar of the hotel in daugavpils, he was staying in the same hotel as the travel plus group! It was commented on then that he was in the bar 'til 2 in the morning!

Don't suppose they would condone it no (nor do they condone dangerous riding but there's a few that do it and seem to get away with it with minimal punishment) and I'd be highly surprised if Darcy Ward was remotely 'drunk' at the time of the test - he just didn't meet the test requirements and was unlucky enough to be tested. So its highly contentious to presume that he would have endangered another rider whereas there were riders in today's GP that are regularly 'rougher' than others even without alcohol!

What a bizarre line of reasoning. Its like saying a burglar didn't take much so he was unlucky to get caught on CCTV.

The facts are that even a small amount of alcohol can affect the parts of the brain that control the sense of balance and the ability to process incoming information. These functions a pretty important to someone riding a motor bike without brakes at 80mph on a loose surface. I doubt that there is any form of motor sport in the world that has anything other than zero tolerance of alcohol in competition.

This is not an attack on Darcy but ANY rider turning up for any meeting at any level is a danger when the brain functions controlling balance and information are impaired.

• Like 7

What a bizarre line of reasoning. Its like saying a burglar didn't take much so he was unlucky to get caught on CCTV.

The facts are that even a small amount of alcohol can affect the parts of the brain that control the sense of balance and the ability to process incoming information. These functions a pretty important to someone riding a motor bike without brakes at 80mph on a loose surface. I doubt that there is any form of motor sport in the world that has anything other than zero tolerance of alcohol in competition.

This is not an attack on Darcy but ANY rider turning up for any meeting at any level is a danger when the brain functions controlling balance and information are impaired.

If 'the facts are that even a small amount can affect the brain' then why isn't the drink/drive limit at zero also? It may well be in the future but it hasn't been for years and I've never read anywhere of an accident caused by, say, a glass of wine or half a lager.

And your alliteration to a burglar is pointless - I've already said that yes he was in the wrong, I just don't agree that he should be hung drawn and quartered.

Edited by Star Fever
  • Like 2

I would travel the end of the world to watch Ward ride, but enough is enough. Washed my hands with him now!

Dont want to defend darcy, clearly he has been stupid (agsin) but...

Kelly moran is one of the most loved speedway riders of all time, one of the "characters" that we are told modern speedway is lacking. Yet he was reputedly so pissed one meeting that he fell at the first bend every time.

A one meeting gp ban (in addition to the one just missed) would be about right imo.

Hope he sorts himself out, would be such a waste if he ends up another mike lee (and lee at least won a world title).

Edit: One match GP ban assumes not drunk at test time, but rather a very low positive reading. If he was say over the drink/drive limit, then a ban for the rest of the season would seem appropriate.

If 'the facts are that even a small amount can affect the brain' then why isn't the drink/drive limit at zero also? It may well be in the future but it hasn't been for years and I've never read anywhere of an accident caused by, say, a glass of wine or half a lager.

plenty of people advocate a zero tolerance level for drink driving. And a diss-proportionate number of accidents involve people who are under the alcohol limit, but have alcohol reading, that's precisely why some argue for zerol tolerance... Edited by waihekeaces1
  • Like 3

Does anyone know if Darcy has a manager,or a member of his pit crew(they all look young)that takes overall charge,like say in Emil S, Or T Gollob camps? .Like a lot of others have said,i love to watch him race,but surely people like Middlo whos been there and done,or even someone like Jason Crump would be ideal for him,because Darcy wouldnt dare step out of line.

Darcy must be around Chris Holder and the other GP boys,but i just dont understand him having Alcohol on a GP weekend,Surely Holder or whoever must see this and warn him of his actions.Also being sponsored by Monster,why the hell didnt he drink their products to stop him dehydrating? ITS LABELLED MONSTER ENERGY so if any drink can do the trick that can.

You do know that most energy drinks contain caffeine, which is actually dehydrating, don't you? Darcy surely not that stupid???? ROFL!

• Like 1

Dont want to defend darcy, clearly he has been stupid (agsin) but...

Kelly moran is one of the most loved speedway riders of all time, one of the "characters" that we are told modern speedway is lacking. Yet he was reputedly so pissed one meeting that he fell at the first bend every time.

A one meeting gp ban (in addition to the one just missed) would be about right imo.

Hope he sorts himself out, would be such a waste if he ends up another mike lee (and lee at least won a world title).

Agreed

plenty of people advocate a zero tolerance level for drink driving. And a diss-proportionate number of accidents involve people who are under the alcohol limit, but have alcohol reading, that's precisely why some argue for zerol tolerance...

and i bet most of those disproportionate accidents also involve idiots who drive too fast or totally irresponsibly too, but has little or nothing to with the half a lager they've had....that's the trouble with 'plenty of people' - they target the easiest thing to blame. "He had a drink? OMG -HANG him"

• Like 1

How long is that likely to take I wonder and can he ride in the meantime?

Innocent until proven guilty.

CORRECT

SEEN Darcy back here in Riga and he is distraught. Doesn't change anything but he certainly isn't taking it lightly. Any ban will ensure he misses a top eight place in the SGP this year and rule him out of a wild card place in 2015. He might also miss the Aussie qualifiers for the 2015 GP Challenge which means that unless a wild card pick is forthcoming at the end of the 2015 campaign the SGP in 2016 will also be out of the question.

I`m sure he is, though its very easy to be distraught after being caught.

Maybe on Saturday evening he was distraught as a newt.

As far as we understand this incident arose following some upsetting family news. Not sure what that news was but most I am sure would have some sympathy. That being the case the sensible thing would have been to withdraw from the meeting as he was not in the right frame of mind. After that he could have spent all night and the rest of next day in the bar with impunity is so desired.

.Darcy despite other incidents in recent past shows no sign of learning from his mistakes or any sign of maturity. I fear that arguably the greatest natural talent for a long long time will throw away what should have been a glittering career.

Edited by wealdstone
  • Like 3

As far as we understand this incident arose following some upsetting family news. Not sure what that news was but most I am sure would have some sympathy. That being the case the sensible thing would have been to withdraw from the meeting as he was not in the right frame of mind. After that he could have spent all night and the rest of next day in the bar with impunity is so desired.

.Darcy despite other incidents in recent past shows no sign of learning from his mistakes or any sign of maturity. I fear that arguably the greatest natural talent for a long long time will throw away what should have been a glittering career.

Agree totally with this post. It takes more than natural talent to be a world champion and i fear he doesnt have the strength of character to achieve that and as you say he doesnt seem to have learnt from past mistakes. Edited by Former devil

That certainly is the way he seems to be headed but at 22, with the right guidance, he could (assuming this doesn't spell the end of a glittering career) still turn his self around.

Quite simply though he needs to get rid of those who seem to just want to blow smoke up his arse, like Middlo, and get someone in his camp who can help. He doesn't need apologists willing to make excuses for each misdemeanor, he needs someone not afraid to tell him what a fool he is and impose a proper routine on his life and career.

A young guy with no brains, lots of money and fans purring over his every move is a recipe for where we are today unless his career gets the right guidance, sadly Darcy, to date, hasn't had it

• Like 5