British Speedway Forum
Speedwaycrazy

Coventry V Lakeside Friday / Lakeside V Coventry Saturday

I don't think Bech will ever ride for you again after re-tweeting a tweet last night especially if Jon Cook saw it lol

Haha ... I think I know the one you mean. I'm sure Jon wouldn't take it too personally.

In Cooks defence he said a "permanent guest" so it could be to replace Bech while he's injured. Then who knows?

That's how I'm trying to interpret it! In fairness he is injured again and Danny is without an EL team place so it makes sense and has been guesting regularly for us - I just hope that's the reality of the arrangement.

Edited by Mjolnir

Cook is nothing but an egotistical jerk,

That makes two of you then.

Pleased to see Danny King in the side but if by some miracle we make the play offs I can unfortunately see us getting tonked away especially if we take on the team from Wimborne Road.

Pleased to see Danny King in the side but if by some miracle we make the play offs I can unfortunately see us getting tonked away especially if we take on the team from Wimborne Road.

Think would be very hard home and away if Lakeside got Poole, King's Lynn or Coventry

Just saw that! I can understand Jon's frustration, and I suspect that the fact he is also due to be missing for our visit to Eastbourne as he wants a night off before the FIM World League meeting might have been what has prompted this.

He's an incredible talent and I don't think anyone can question his commitment when he has been riding for us - I think it's just how often he's been missing. There has often been good reasons for it and Jon has always made it clear that he understood the risks associated with taking on such an emerging talent, but I think the injuries have come at particularly important parts of the season and made it all the more frustrating.

I'm on the fence with whether this is the right call or not as I do want to see the same team week in week out, but at the same time I would be incredibly disappointed to not see Bech in our team next year. I hope that Jon has dealt with the situation with enough tact and hasn't jeapordised Bech's future with the club.

Spot on.

When Bech is good he is very, very good, and he is also a good team man in the pits. But he is apparently only available for one more Lakeside match this year so however brilliant a rider is, he is no use when he is not there. The real problem centres around Peter Karlssons drop in form. Dave Watt and PK were a good spearhead for the team up to this year and could back each other but it was a big ask for Watty to take over the No1 role without genuine support from PK while Lewis and Mikkel inconsistent, although both were brilliant at times. Neither were quite able to step into the role intended for PK , and Davey couldn't do it all,on his own.

To be brutally honest Lakeside were never going to be serious play off contenders without a major part being played by PK.

I think next year Richard Lawson is the only one more or less guaranteed to be back and all other places likely to be up,for grabs. Major changes are likely I would say.

As for Danny King , he is a really nice bloke, I like him a lot and he has has had some good meetings at Lakeside (as well as some bad) but I don't see him getting a lot better.

• Like 1

Jon Cook's feeling this morning (taken for hammers site)

The Vortex Hammers Co Promoter Jon Cook repeated his praise of the Coventry team as the Club wake up to the Sunday morning reality that the job of Play Off qualification is now a very tough one.

Cook states: “Firstly let’s get one thing clear, I don’t lay any blame at all on the track conditions, rain before the start of the meeting is unfortunate but it’s a too ready an excuse to hide behind.

“Last night we were outgated time and time again and were behind before we even reached the first turn so conditions after that point were secondary and Coventry deserve fulsome praise.

“They are the team to beat as I now see it with strength from 1-7 and with a head of steam. Our riders need to adapt not complain and the exceptional performance of Kim Nilsson, who the previous evening by his own admission was woeful, proved the point as, of all the team, Kim would probably be the one who most revels in our normal slick conditions.

“We now have five Cup Finals, two against our opponents for fourth place, and the boys need to show they have the heart and commitment for the Club that week in week out our off track staff and supporters show. Unlike the riders our fans don’t have another club to support tomorrow or our staff another track to build.

“This is our everything. Of course, qualification is our season’s goal. Going out fighting rather than with a whimper is acceptable, last night was not.”

So Jon Cook has fallen out with yet another rider! a rider that he choose to bring to Lakeside knowing the full well the issues of having riders of that age and caliber can bring.

What an excellent idea, get rid if the only youngster we have that has any real promise!

Cook is nothing but an egotistical jerk, its always all about him! the sooner Stuart Douglas wakes up and realize what the guy is doing to his club the better.

PLEASE SAVE US STUART

Harsh to say the least.

There's no doubt that Bech is a hugely talented young rider but only if he is actually riding. I think Jon Cook's point is that he is missing more than anticipated - a situation that occurred at Plymouth last season - and that the reasons for absences aren't wholly convincing.

Listening to Cook at Lakeside on Saturday, you could the disappointment and frustration in his voice at the teams performance so to suggest that he is only interested in himself is way wide of the mark.

This personal attack of yours is indicative of what is posted on the BSF and certain other speedway forums nowadays unlike back in 2003 when you and I joined it. I find it sad that you have apparently jumped on the growing bandwagon of seemingly slagging off everything! :(

I can't find a similar post on this thread so its not indicative.

I have said this before but the BSF remains a bastion of free speech in amongst all the official forums where criticism - however justified - is barely tolerated. For all its trolls, abuse and wind up merchants it is invaluable for that purpose.

I don't agree with the above post but it must be pleasing for all of us that it can be made.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

[quote name="Halifaxtiger" post="2505756" timestamp

I have said this before but the BSF remains a bastion of free speech in amongst all the official forums where criticism - however justified - is barely tolerated. For all its trolls, abuse and wind up merchants it is invaluable for that purpose.

I don't agree with the above post but it must be pleasing for all of us that it can be made.

I don't agree. Free speech is one thing but calling someone an "egotistical jerk" does not help sensible debate especially when the one calling childish names had chosen not to examine a few basic facts before making his silly comments.

Constructive criticism is preferable to name calling any day.

• Like 1

I don't agree. Free speech is one thing but calling someone an "egotistical jerk" does not help sensible debate especially when the one calling childish names had chosen not to examine a few basic facts before making his silly comments.

Constructive criticism is preferable to name calling any day.

Absolutely agree.

But one man's childish names and silly comments are another man's justified term of reference and reasoned opinion.

Better to have an open forum where some can make remarks that apparently lack a basis in reality and are even offensive than a closed (or even partially closed) shop.

Because 30 minutes before the meeting we are already there so it's too late. :neutral: If only promoters would stop deliberately trying to confuse fans by releasing the teams in alphabetical order so they can't print their own programme there wouldn't be this problem every match. Alternatively cut down on the adverts and other unnecessary fillers and sell a programme for £1 like Scunthorpe manage to do. I'd buy one then. Anyway it gave me something to do at Coventry tonight during all the track grading. :lol: King instead of Watt at 1, Watt instead of King at 3, reserve switch - Perry 6, Morley 7. Reserve switch for Bees - Sarjeant at 6 and Garrity at 7. My programme looked lovely.

Unfortunately because team members are just normal fans like everyone else going to meetings and we are not affiliated with any promotion/BSPA etc etc, we do not get an inside track of who is riding where...generally, we are in as much of the dark as every other begger until we arrive at the track and they confirm the line up.

The amount of times people talk to me expecting me to know all the inside info is unreal, they usually know more than I do!

• Like 1

As an Updater myself the teams we put down are a guess unless there's a Press Release with the teams on.

As a texter, its occasionally difficult to actually confirm the teams even when you are in the stadium and even if you have a programme. Sometimes, you don't know who is riding until they come on parade.

I was lucky on Friday at Plymouth and on Saturday at Lakeside in that I know Ashley Taylor and Laurence Rogers and they confirmed the line ups for me.

The amount of times people talk to me expecting me to know all the inside info is unreal, they usually know more than I do!

I can vouch for that :D

• Like 1

Unfortunately because team members are just normal fans like everyone else going to meetings and we are not affiliated with any promotion/BSPA etc etc, we do not get an inside track of who is riding where...generally, we are in as much of the dark as every other begger until we arrive at the track and they confirm the line up.

My post was in no way a criticism of the Updates site which is invaluable to us fans and I appreciate all the time and effort put in by both texters and updaters. Plus you of course Sue. :t: I realise the teams are perhaps going to be a bit different so if I choose to print my programme based on the Updates, if riders are in the wrong order that's too bad and doesn't really bother me as I just alter them when I get there. It's just a bit irritating that this season some promoters aren't releasing the teams in riding order but I understand the reason why. It won't work in my case though because I'm still not going to buy a programme I'm going to throw away as soon as I get home and that money will go towards my petrol.

• Like 4

The irony of that is Cook complains about riders putting international appearances before Lakeside meetings, but he gives an open hand to Adam Ellis and Ben Morley to choose between their PL team and the Hammers. Hypocrisy from the top drawer.....and he is condoning the fans being cheated when Ellis/Morley choose Ipswich/Kent !!!

Well said.

Double standards or what??!!

My post was in no way a criticism of the Updates site which is invaluable to us fans and I appreciate all the time and effort put in by both texters and updaters. Plus you of course Sue. :t: I realise the teams are perhaps going to be a bit different so if I choose to print my programme based on the Updates, if riders are in the wrong order that's too bad and doesn't really bother me as I just alter them when I get there. It's just a bit irritating that this season some promoters aren't releasing the teams in riding order but I understand the reason why. It won't work in my case though because I'm still not going to buy a programme I'm going to throw away as soon as I get home and that money will go towards my petrol.

Don't worry, I never took it as a criticism, I just thought it might be an idea to let others know why it is not always the best idea to rely on us for teams before it is confirmed at the track and that the teams they see prior to a meeting starting on Updates, are always subject to change and in no way official.

• Like 1