British Speedway Forum
ch958

Regionalisation

But what is clear in speedway, the top league always messes up, and the second tier is shagged to save the top tier. It happened when the BL and NL were merged and the promise of equal share of the top riders never happened.

That's a very fair point and historically very true. But I think in this instance, there would be more on the table to appeal to PL clubs. The gap between the two divisions in terms of quality has never been closer, so it wouldn't require radical surgery of each team. I also think that the PL clubs will relish some of their fixtures a lot more. For Somerset and Plymouth for example, meetings against Swindon and Poole would be a really big deal.

That's a very fair point and historically very true. But I think in this instance, there would be more on the table to appeal to PL clubs. The gap between the two divisions in terms of quality has never been closer, so it wouldn't require radical surgery of each team. I also think that the PL clubs will relish some of their fixtures a lot more. For Somerset and Plymouth for example, meetings against Swindon and Poole would be a really big deal.

Yes you are right, the Elite League is anything but Elite, so I imagine some of the Premier League teams right now could give some of the Elite League teams a good run for their money.

Of course, if that happened it would remove the likelihood of a single race night I assume so many of the GP boys would be unlikely to commit anyway.

Belle Vue for exampl would probably only have to lose Zagar and Cook to remain with Edinburgh for them to be a PL team albeit with a very tasty no 1

• Like 1

I agree that doubling up and constant guests are a problem. Pretty much everyone does. That's the reason for this suggested re-structure. By taking away GP riders and putting the leagues together in a regional structure you would have less guests and no doubling up. Plus, the added bonuses of costs saved and more local matches. Currently promoters are having to structure a fixture list around Swedish League, Polish League, GPs and - most ridiculously - when one of your riders might be riding for another club in the UK. There's not much we can do about Sweden and Poland, but we can make some decisions to eliminate the difficulties caused by the lattter two.

Good Post.

Add to that you might get your Local Team staying together for a bit more than a single Season - you might even get to know your Riders - perhaps have a drink in the Bar with them.

Happy days!! :t:

• Like 1