Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
markyb

Coventry Vs Kings Lynn now Sept 4th - Empty Stadium ?

Yeah if someone could come in with millions and give all promotions who don't own their track enough dosh to build a new stadium apiece for speedway only akin to Poland, Sweden and Denmark. If this person would then bankrole all the clubs every season like in Poland, Sweden and Denmark and get some adverts going on the BBC, ITV and sky we'd be getting somewhere!

You're missing the point completely .... The sugar Daddy ( Sky TV) has come, spent , wasted and gone..

Unless the sport, and each club, is run as a viable enterprise then there is no point in continuing..

I see we are left with 2 options. 1, We join our European neighbours and comply with one day a week racing, or 2, We say 'Up yours' and go our own way with our own rules....

We can't have our cake and eat it......... It's one way or the other......

Lynn have had their chips for the season, sadly. What started off so brightly has ended up a real damp squib. No one to blame its just happened. Rory racing in what seems like every Elite league meeting, NKI taking on too much of a workload, Injuries to Rose and Kerr, Porsing missing through other committments and injuries. I just think the whole Lynn thing just ran out of steam. It happens. The one I feel sorry for is Buster. I think he gave it his all this season, in the hope of finally breaking the Kings Lynn top League Duck, It wasnt to be. We have enjoyed a decent season at Saddlebow, but have to say Its not been a vintage one in terms of racing there.

Bring On 2015, in what ever shape or form it may take.

• Like 3

Who will be in place of Lambert for Kings Lynn?

Ben Morley presuming you mean for Simon!

Mark Lemon for Robert

You're missing the point completely .... The sugar Daddy ( Sky TV) has come, spent , wasted and gone..

Unless the sport, and each club, is run as a viable enterprise then there is no point in continuing..

I see we are left with 2 options. 1, We join our European neighbours and comply with one day a week racing, or 2, We say 'Up yours' and go our own way with our own rules....

We can't have our cake and eat it......... It's one way or the other......

But the sky money was never enough to do much with was it ......
  • Like 1

But the sky money was never enough to do much with was it ......

Probably not this year, but over the years it's been plentiful .

I made comment last night about the 6 man rider team. I would like to be critical of Havvy's comments before the meeting started. King's Lynn were quite correct to complain if the rider was legally able to ride. I heard Mick Horton talking during match complaining about KL appeal. Havvy's suggested that they should have allowed Luke to ride and then if the appeal was carried on they could have deducted the points scored by the rider, suggesting that he wouldn't have scored more than three. Sorry this is a ridiculous statement, there is history in Speedway of (riding a rider who didn't meet the legal position) then the offending team could have any League points deducted. Sorry the fault lies entirely with Coventry Management and it's quite clear when you read the NL riders rules. As stated a fantastic night by all the riders in particular Robbo and Max Fricke

To be fair they did get BSPA approval beforehand. It's not like they were trying to pull a fast one. Kings Lynn were within their rights to complain but I think the right solution would've been let him ride and if deemed illegal the take his points off.

In a way that's the saddest part HT, although we've not seen to much of it at Lynn this year speedway at it best can be utterly breathtaking. Yet despite this unless the politics of the sport ie cheating and rule bending, and rider availability are sorted people will continue to drift away until there aren't enough left. I just wish somebody would grab British speedway by the scruff of the neck and get it sorted.

The cheating annoys me as much as anyone and in truth I agree with you in relation to there being some central control but to put my views in a nutshell when I was watching Peter Kildemand go from last to first last night or Ryan Douglas go between two Workington riders on Sunday the last thing I was thinking about was how Matt Ford is going to pull another stunt so Poole win the league.

I was marvelling at the skill and courage of the two riders and revelling in the excitement that it created.

What matters is four blokes on bikes without brakes. Everything else is more or less irrelevant.

I simply cannot grasp the mentality of those who claim to love the sport but don't go.

So all of proceeding crap that caused it should all be forgotten because they were good meetings? Of course I'm delighted that the Bees won, surprised and delighted at the ease of it. I'm over the moon that Bomber is back to his best, I can't wait to see him ride now. Oh, hang on that would have been tonight then.

In a word, no. If there was an issue before hand it shouldn't just be swept under the carpet. Mick Horton says that management committee member gave him permission to use Priest. Let him state who that was, because this is about responsibility.

My point is - and remains - that all the 'proceeding crap' was, in the end, massively secondary to what actually happened out on the track.

• Like 2

Fixture planning in this country is a bloody nightmare, 100% if we only had 2 race nights things would be easier.

I agree that stronger governance would help, take last night, why didn't the management committee ring Rob and tell him officially about Luke Priest's inclusion? The Coventry management also said they had rang all ftr's but apparently they had not!!!

the Coventry pairs team plus reserve thrashed "title contenders"

interesting, do you know which riders were not contacted?

We are still waiting for an answer as you seem to know some fact that the rest of us don't.

Edited by Silver Cheetah Snr
  • Like 1

But not when divided up between the clubs?

When Sky were sponsoring the league in addition to televising the meetings the approx. amount to each EL club was £100k.

Nowadays (and for the next 5 years) the deal is only for television rights which gives clubs far far less - but still leaves the (Russell) door open to get a 'main sponsor' from somewhere!!

Scrap my earlier comment about Lynn maybe being able to get something at Lynn. Bridger makes Eastie stronger and I didn't realise that M. Lemon was guesting for Lynn.

I know we are poor at the moment,but not that poor surely :wink:

Looking at the improved form of Chris Harris, does it mean that he's finally collected enough money for a super-fast GP bike?

I made comment last night about the 6 man rider team. I would like to be critical of Havvy's comments before the meeting started. King's Lynn were quite correct to complain if the rider was legally able to ride. I heard Mick Horton talking during match complaining about KL appeal. Havvy's suggested that they should have allowed Luke to ride and then if the appeal was carried on they could have deducted the points scored by the rider, suggesting that he wouldn't have scored more than three. Sorry this is a ridiculous statement, there is history in Speedway of (riding a rider who didn't meet the legal position) then the offending team could have any League points deducted. Sorry the fault lies entirely with Coventry Management and it's quite clear when you read the NL riders rules. As stated a fantastic night by all the riders in particular Robbo and Max Fricke

Isn't it sad though that this has to overshadow a good win by Cov over the league leaders. Well done Coventry

We are still waiting for an answer as you seem to know some fact that the rest of us don't.

not me it was another post i was asking about